Jump to content

Off and running with my Roll20 Arkham campaign


Recommended Posts

Strange days, and I find myself now running a Call of Cthulhu campaign again, via Roll20 / Discord. It's been a while but enjoying it thoroughly. As mentioned, I'd gotten some sessions of Lightless Beacon run on Roll20 last month - I think I ran it four or five times for different folks. That led to five players collectively being in for a follow-up the fuller Edge of Darkness from the Starter Set.

Edge of Darkness took two sessions to get through; we wrapped last night, and with a little bit of time on the clock, the group asked about getting into their next case. So, September of 1923, and Delilah Deckard - a Fine Arts graduate student and Teaching Assistant - noticed some disturbing work from otherwise friendly 2nd year student Michael Resnick. After noting his absence from classes for the next four days, she manages a wellness check on him at his off campus boarding house room and ...

Well, horror, right! After the start of the case, I put the session on break and we pick up next Saturday with more None More Black (from Doors to Darkness). 

From there, I'm debating Servants of the Lake (Doors of Darkness) or Dead Man's Stop (Starter Set / classic, but not in Arkham). 

Woke up this morning and Delilah's player had sent me sketches that she worked up for Delilah's private art collection. Needless to say, the group seems excited to be playing! :)

Thanks, all!

Edited by 1000buffalo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, put the wraps on most of “None More Black” last night. There may be some follow-ups, as they had just finished dealing with most of the problem at the slaughterhouse. We had one Investigator lose it at the sight of some certain faceless creatures and run off screaming. The Federal Agent and the Photographer (veteran of the Great War) Investigators both got really effective, and lucky - the Agent managed three impales in a row with his handgun, and I’m sure the party has a false sense of security re: use of firearms in dealing with Mythos creatures. Heh.

My idea of an Arkham based campaign may be shot by my own improvising. The Biologist had analyzed a sample of The Black under a microscope, and determined it to be unknown and an unknowable weird combination of some kind of skin cells and blood cells. At the Artist’s studio, he sketches a image of the cell structure ... which after some poking, commenting and crazy skills rolls, Dr. Jones feels it resembles some ruins in Tibet he’d been reading about, if one considers it a top-down sketch devoid of context and geographical markers. The Artist, with a minor field of Asian studies (whose Player is the same) then wants to get specific about which ruins. The group engages in a series of hypotheses about ancient Tibet, Asian cultures, and prehistoric unknowns.

So, I did meta it a bit - they are great players - that the Tibet connection has isn’t front and center needed for this investigation. However, connections and follow-up .. well, that’s to be seen.

And so, Secrets of Tibet, which was ding-and-dent purchase a few years ago for my collector’s sense, is now suddenly getting read and likely to see use. I’ve already found some nice connections for both “None More Black” as well as various Deep One ideas (since several of the Investigators are interested their, given their survival of “Lightless Beacon”).

Needless to say, fun times!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 1000buffalo said:

Well, put the wraps on most of “None More Black” last night. There may be some follow-ups, as they had just finished dealing with most of the problem at the slaughterhouse. We had one Investigator lose it at the sight of some certain faceless creatures and run off screaming. The Federal Agent and the Photographer (veteran of the Great War) Investigators both got really effective, and lucky - the Agent managed three impales in a row with his handgun, and I’m sure the party has a false sense of security re: use of firearms in dealing with Mythos creatures. Heh.

My idea of an Arkham based campaign may be shot by my own improvising. The Biologist had analyzed a sample of The Black under a microscope, and determined it to be unknown and an unknowable weird combination of some kind of skin cells and blood cells. At the Artist’s studio, he sketches a image of the cell structure ... which after some poking, commenting and crazy skills rolls, Dr. Jones feels it resembles some ruins in Tibet he’d been reading about, if one considers it a top-down sketch devoid of context and geographical markers. The Artist, with a minor field of Asian studies (whose Player is the same) then wants to get specific about which ruins. The group engages in a series of hypotheses about ancient Tibet, Asian cultures, and prehistoric unknowns.

So, I did meta it a bit - they are great players - that the Tibet connection has isn’t front and center needed for this investigation. However, connections and follow-up .. well, that’s to be seen.

And so, Secrets of Tibet, which was ding-and-dent purchase a few years ago for my collector’s sense, is now suddenly getting read and likely to see use. I’ve already found some nice connections for both “None More Black” as well as various Deep One ideas (since several of the Investigators are interested their, given their survival of “Lightless Beacon”).

Needless to say, fun times!!

Sounds like you and your players are having a great game!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 3:27 PM, Dethstrok9 said:

Sounds like you and your players are having a great game!

Absolutely. One great highlight is that they read the longer handouts as a group. So, as a GM, I get to just sit back and enjoy a bit of radio play as they take turns reading the various diary entires, pretty much in character. I didn't see that coming, and it's been awesome.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

It's been a while - in addition to the various pandemic and other stresses, both myself and one of the players had deaths in the family. No one was really up for much horror, until more recently. Tonight was the first session since late April. It was something of a slow burn - catching the Investigators up on the events from 5 months ago real time, and 2 weeks of game time.

They got together to discuss the case, and what to do next. The artist showed off her new, private galley ... after she described it, I decided it was good for SAN loss (1/3), and that was fantastic. 

Several members of the group had been given the Kingsport Chamber of Commerce trifold (from Kingsport; Chaosium, 2003), and suggested a weekend vacation at the shore. After arriving, they checked into their hotel and wound up having a nice dinner at Arruda's Original Portuguese Cuisine. As they finished dinner, Delilah pointed out the article in the Kingsport Chronicle regarding the Florentina Theater (and the group is off on Ghosts of the Florentina (More Adventures in Arkham Country; Miskatonic River Press, 2010). I think that'll be a nice, enjoyable, creepy and non-earth shattering investigation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 11:20 PM, 1000buffalo said:

Several members of the group had been given the Kingsport Chamber of Commerce trifold (from Kingsport; Chaosium, 2003), and suggested a weekend vacation at the shore. After arriving, they checked into their hotel and wound up having a nice dinner at Arruda's Original Portuguese Cuisine. As they finished dinner, Delilah pointed out the article in the Kingsport Chronicle regarding the Florentina Theater (and the group is off on Ghosts of the Florentina (More Adventures in Arkham Country; Miskatonic River Press, 2010). I think that'll be a nice, enjoyable, creepy and non-earth shattering investigation.

That is a pretty good one ;)

If you've not seen it, the HP Lovecraft Historical Society created a prop-pack for that scenario collection and they are really great.

https://store.hplhs.org/collections/games-props/products/more-adventures-in-arkham-country-props

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 11:32 PM, SentinelHillPress said:

That is a pretty good one ;)

If you've not seen it, the HP Lovecraft Historical Society created a prop-pack for that scenario collection and they are really great.

https://store.hplhs.org/collections/games-props/products/more-adventures-in-arkham-country-props

They are - I'm using that deluxe prop pack in fact. Investigators have been loving the handouts, and it's been pretty easy getting the props uploaded into my Roll20 game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...