Sign in to follow this  
mikuel

Combining two systems

I have been reading reviews of the differences between Runequest: Role Playing in Glorantha and Mythras, wondering which system to use. I've played Mythras before it was Mythras and liked it well enough.  I liked the detail in the combat.  My players never really got into the crunchy details.  It was pretty much head shots the entire time.  I've started reading RQG and am still in character creation.  

My question is:  Is it easy to bolt on some of the aspects of Mythras onto RQG?  I liked the some of the things like action points and spear reach a lot.  Or is that too much work?  

Second question.  If you choose to do this, what rules would you start "bolting on" first? second? third?...

Thanks,

Michael  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikuel said:

My question is:  Is it easy to bolt on some of the aspects of Mythras onto RQG? 

For sure. Why not? Both are D100 games and highy compatible.

There are 3 ways to do this:

1. Using RQG as core and bolting some Mythras subsystems (Combat, Sorcery, Theism etc.) or rules(Luck Points, Rabble etc.) onto it.

2. Using RQG but bolting only parts of Mythras' subsystems and rules (e.g. only the Action Point economy) onto it.

3. Using Mythras as core and bolting some RQG rules (Passions, Runes) onto it.

Option 1 and 3 are the easiest and best ones. Option 2 is only something for Mythras AND RQG pros. I would not recommend that if you are a beginner in these two RPGs.

Edited by prinz.slasar

Since they're both based on BRP they're fairly easy to bolt together. I think action points and reach could be added without too much trouble, though you'd have to ditch RQG's take on Strike Ranks I think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prinz.slasar said:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

.:.Ian

I will recommend -- if you have players who will be running your game -- that you run some each of the Quickstart/Intro products, as-is RAW, no hybridizing.

Talk to them about the stuff they wanted, want more of; or less of.  It will give you a sense of which to use as the core chassis, what to bolt onto that.

When I introduced my group to the Mythras/RQ6 engine, they bounced hard off of the Combat Effects... even the crunchmeister player who likes tactical & strategic options, the guy I was certain would love them.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mikuel said:

My question is:  Is it easy to bolt on some of the aspects of Mythras onto RQG? 

It depends on what you are trying to add and to which system.

I liked the some of the things like action points and spear reach a lot.  Or is that too much work?

It is generally OK, as they are fairly compatible.

Since Mythras only has 2 good levels of success, Normal Success and Critical Success, but RQG has 3, adding special success, this might affect how you port over Combat Effects. Depending how complex you like your games, having 1 Combat Effect for a Special and 2 for a Critical might work, alternatively, having 1 for a Special and 1 for a Critical would work if you allow some Combat effects to only be gained on a Critical.

Action Points work fairly well, but you should take off any restrictions on casting spells/taking actions in each round. So, RQG allows 1 Spell casting per round, for example, I would instead simply allow Combat Actions to be Cast a Spell of a Certain Type (Spirit/Rune/Sorcery), Attack, Parry and Dodge, with other things considered an Action (Jump, Climb, Ride).

Weapon Reaches are, to a certain extent, handled in RQG by having reduced Strike Ranks. You could have weapon reach as an extra level to determined tied results, I suppose.

Strike Ranks are tricky, as they are completely different systems. Mythras Strike Ranks handle multiple actions easily, you just cycle through the Strike Ranks for each action cycle. RQG is a bit trickier, as a small, low DEX adventurer may well run out of Strike Ranks before running out of Action Points, but Action points are tied to DEX and INT, so maybe not.

If you choose to do this, what rules would you start "bolting on" first? second? third?...

1. Luck Points (Although I prefer Legend's Hero Points)
  2. Combat Effects
  3. Action Points
  4. Experience

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I will recommend -- if you have players who will be running your game -- that you run some each of the Quickstart/Intro products, as-is RAW, no hybridizing.

Talk to them about the stuff they wanted, want more of; or less of.  It will give you a sense of which to use as the core chassis, what to bolt onto that.

When I introduced my group to the Mythras/RQ6 engine, they bounced hard off of the Combat Effects... even the crunchmeister player who likes tactical & strategic options, the guy I was certain would love them.

That is what happened with us as well. Mythras crashed and burned with Combat Effects, and also "skills" like Brawn or Endurance. For some people, that's the attraction of Mythras, but for every group I ran it or a variant with, those features were the kiss of death. The learning and unlearning curve was a step too far. They also are in my opinion a step too far from RQ (a BRP variant, sure, but not really a RQ variant). 

Different groups no doubt have different experiences.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

Since Mythras only has 2 good levels of success, Normal Success and Critical Success, but RQG has 3, adding special success, this might affect how you port over Combat Effects. Depending how complex you like your games, having 1 Combat Effect for a Special and 2 for a Critical might work, alternatively, having 1 for a Special and 1 for a Critical would work if you allow some Combat effects to only be gained on a Critical.

Since the combat system of Mythras knows 3 levels of good successes (Mythras combat uses Differentiate Opposed Rolls and the result generates 1,2 or 3 special effects), a clever Mythras+RQG writer can here both systems (Attack/Parry matrix of RQG and Differentiate Opposed Rolls table+Special Effects) translate into each other.

But that's only an option for Mythras+RQG pros and maybe not much worthy.

Edited by prinz.slasar

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Different groups no doubt have different experiences.

Completely agree. The predominant experience of Special Effects in combat is overwhelmingly positive though. Mythras is frequently mentioned in threads/discussions elsewhere about gritty/realistic/fun combat systems. Come to think of it, frequently mentioned in many 'Suggest a System' threads too. Jeff's group obviously didn't take to Mythras, and that's fine; it certainly is a couple of steps removed in mechanics and philosophy from traditional RQ combat, and that can take some getting used to. But, horses for courses!

Meshing RQG and Mythras shouldn't be too difficult. The underlying assumptions are very similar. The main issue is how Special Effects are triggered. The Differential Levels mechanic still works, but in RQG makes SEs more frequent if transposed directly onto the Crit/Special/Success model. Instead, you could have Effects triggering only when a Special is scored, which would help reduce the frequency. Best thing to do is try it and see. Find the combo that works for you. Both Mythras and RQG are robusts systems that can handle a lot of tinkering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, prinz.slasar said:

indeed, Passions are already in Mythras, though in a slightly different form. Augments are already in Mythras, and adding in Runes should be a piece of cake. Insert Folk magic for Spirit Magic, etc. There is an extensive blog for a campaign in Glorantha using RQ6/Mythras. There is also the Mythras Encounter Generator, which has a lot of fan made content for Mythras from this campaign

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, prinz.slasar said:

If I were to re-start my campaign, this is what I'm most likely to try. I haven't played Mythras, but I think its structure looks really interesting, and it seems fairly easy to me to bolt Passions, Runes, and RQG's magic systems onto a Mythras foundation.

Of course, we'd have to then see what changes while we play. (Historically, it's always lots of stuff.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1