Kasda

M Helsdon

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

You're right - I was thinking about Damolsten.

Ah, Damol and his sons conquered the Pendali, but so far as I see, there's no evidence for there being a city there. Many cities develop from village sites, but I don't believe the Pendali had any impressive cities.

Damol seems to be a sort of cousin to Malkion.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

The Lightbringer missionaries came from the former Vingkotling, now Heortling tribes, and their allies.

So far as I see, there were waves of missionaries - some from the south and others via Kartolin.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

The Enerali of Tanisor and Safelster and the Slontans all suffered from the hegemony of the Pralori, and one of the boons the Lightbringers brought was magic to counter the Serpent Brotherhood shamans of the Pralori.

Am not convinced that the Pralori's domain extended into Safelster. One of the Enerali tribes, the Vustri, joined up with the Serpent Beasts.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

All Malkioni colonies prior to the Abiding Book experienced cycles of glory and of abject survival in the face of external foes, it seems. The end of the Serpent King dynasty brought about another dangerous struggle with the remaining unconquered Pendali and their Serpent Brotherhood and Enerali allies.

I don't see much evidence until much later for any 'glory' in the north. In Sog City only a few zzaburi and a pair of dronari survived as immortals. 

Have attempted to create a map of the Dawn in the West. Only a few Hsunchen and natives are shown because they appear in my text.

Dawn map.png

14 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Dawn map.png

A few comments on a fine work.  Ignore if need be.

I don't think the Eleven Beasts Alliance was extant at the Dawn but it was something that was formed in reaction to external pressures (World Council etc).  The Hsunchen were there but not just organized.

I thnik the Northern Telmori lived further west, closer to Nida.  

The northern forest should be Greenwood and whether Ballid is part of Greenwood or Greatwood is a matter of conjecture.  

The Broken Council Guidebook (usual caveats and all that) did have the Mraloti in southern Ralios and their migration to Ramlia is after the Dawn.  

Sish should be relabeled Ienawal I think.  Sish's not extant at the Dawn in the historical maps and is first indicated circa 265 ST.  I have no problem with you inferring a Dawn Age settlement there based on the description of the City of the Guide.

I think the Enjoreli are a major Tawari tribe (like the Bisosae and Kereusi) rather than separate nations (but I may be misinterpreting you here).

I've never seen the Srotolin on the Seshnelan coast (I think it would be Arolanit Brithini there).  The Srotolinae have two capitals Frilan and Utik which are in the upper Tanier Valley.  Frilan, the first capital, postdates the Korioni (Guide p388) - it may have been the "Srotolin" razed by the Krjalki during the Gbaji Wars  (Guide p386) necessitating the move to Utik.  But the description of Utik says the capital was moved here after the Seshnegi were expelled from Safelster which could be any number of events.  I don't have a firm handle on the chronology here and until I looked at Guide p388 recently, I had thought the Srotolinae were post-Gabji Wars.  

Safelster in the First Age tells us that the Enerali practiced mixed hunter-gathering and neolithic farming. Which more or less it what the Heortlings do coming out of the Greater Darkness into the Silver Age.

All of the major inventions of farming are from the Neolithic and carry over all the way into the Iron Age and beyond. Neolithic housing north of the Alps is more or less identical to Viking Age housing (including the variety of building styles).

The main cultural disadvantage of the Enerali is the absence or scarcity of tool metals.

3 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Ah, Damol and his sons conquered the Pendali, but so far as I see, there's no evidence for there being a city there. Many cities develop from village sites, but I don't believe the Pendali had any impressive cities.

Having cities or mega-villages is sufficiently impressive in its own right, as far as I am concerned. It doesn't need Kadeniti-style opus caementicium walls to impress.

Damol seems to be a sort of cousin to Malkion.

As an Aerlitsson, rather a half-brother. Much like Umath and Lodril/Veskarthen, or Vingkot and Barntar.

I find it rather peculiar that Aerlit has not received much of a family tree. A Kolating who rode/flew with the Vadrudi? Or a black sheep Vadrus-son?

So far as I see, there were waves of missionaries - some from the south and others via Kartolin.

At different points of history, yes. Which ones would have reached Hrelar Amali first?

Am not convinced that the Pralori's domain extended into Safelster. One of the Enerali tribes, the Vustri, joined up with the Serpent Beasts.

I don't see much evidence until much later for any 'glory' in the north. In Sog City only a few zzaburi and a pair of dronari survived as immortals. 

Have attempted to create a map of the Dawn in the West. Only a few Hsunchen and natives are shown because they appear in my text.

Dawn map.png

What made you put Srotolin in Arolanit?

All the sources about the Srotolinae of the Second Age place them in the upper Tanier Valley, north of the (modern) city of Tinaros. The exact spelling of Srotolin is used only once, in the weird inverted "Arkat the Liberator" pamphlet from Tortun that talks about Gbaji coming from Brithos. The context there makes it clear that the militarily able men of Ralios including those of Srotolin are away in Seshnela when krjalki enter from Kartolin and raze the land of Srotolin they left behind.

IMO the Pralori range was extending to both sides of the Tarinwood IMO. Both Tanisor and northern Ramalia and western Maniria were under their sway, and unless they had free passage through Tarinwood proper, that would mean to me that they also would have controlled the foothills north of the Tarin mountains, south of Safelster proper (as far north as Daran).

Were the Mraloti already present this far south at the Dawn Age? The Entruli would have been sufficient as boar worshipers there.

As to the lakes, I think that Bakan Lake or Lake Nralar (that name is a suspicious duplicate of Gerlant's son) in the upper Tanier Valley, probably in or south of the Srotolinae lands of Utik and Frilan in the Second Age.

According to Safelster in the First Age, the Vustri would have resided on the Doskior, about where you put the "Ser- Be-" of the Serpent Beasts (who really were everywhere where there weren't uz or Enerali). Somewhere closer to Vustria.

North of the Nidan Mountains, I don't think that the Eleven Beasts Alliance was a thing at the Dawn. I'd be inclined to swap your lettering of Enjoreli and Tawari, as the latter have ties to the Kereusi of the Sweet Sea area as well.

Having the Telmori in Brolia and Charg makes some sense, but puts a question mark to the presence of Orlanthi Hill Barbarian anywhere nearby.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Safelster in the First Age tells us that the Enerali practiced mixed hunter-gathering and neolithic farming. Which more or less it what the Heortlings do coming out of the Greater Darkness into the Silver Age.presence of Orlanthi Hill Barbarian anywhere nearby.

Yes, after the Theyan missionaries arrive. Neolithic farming covers a huge range of types of farming, from the harvesting of natural plants through to domestication. I am keeping the term horticulture to indicate that this wasn't advanced farming techniques.

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

At different points of history, yes. Which ones would have reached Hrelar Amali first?

Difficult to say. Possibly south.

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

What made you put Srotolin in Arolanit?

All the sources about the Srotolinae of the Second Age place them in the upper Tanier Valley, north of the (modern) city of Tinaros.

One source I have (forget which) gives it as an early name for Arolanit. I am aware of the tribe, and have a footnote about it.

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

IAccording to Safelster in the First Age, the Vustri would have resided on the Doskior, about where you put the "Ser- Be-" of the Serpent Beasts (who really were everywhere where there weren't uz or Enerali). Somewhere closer to Vustria.

That's the source I used. On this scale of map positions are approximate.

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Were the Mraloti already present this far south at the Dawn Age? The Entruli would have been sufficient as boar worshipers there.

I don't mention the Entruli.

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Having the Telmori in Brolia and Charg makes some sense, but puts a question mark to the presence of Orlanthi Hill Barbarian anywhere nearby.

The population density of Hsunchen hunter-gatherers will be incredibly small, so there is plenty of room for other peoples. These are intended to provide a range, not a controlled territory.

8 hours ago, metcalph said:

I don't think the Eleven Beasts Alliance was extant at the Dawn but it was something that was formed in reaction to external pressures (World Council etc).  The Hsunchen were there but not just organized.  

It seemed a useful label instead of 'various hsunchen'.

The northern forest should be Greenwood and whether Ballid is part of Greenwood or Greatwood is a matter of conjecture.    

At that point, save for parts of the lowlands, it was all forest?

The Broken Council Guidebook (usual caveats and all that) did have the Mraloti in southern Ralios and their migration to Ramlia is after the Dawn.    

I'm afraid that document, whilst 'factual' when it was written, has an awful lot of problems when assessed beside current canon.

I think the Enjoreli are a major Tawari tribe (like the Bisosae and Kereusi) rather than separate nations (but I may be misinterpreting you here).  

My suspicion is that the Tawari were an Enjoreli tribe.

I've never seen the Srotolin on the Seshnelan coast (I think it would be Arolanit Brithini there).  The Srotolinae have two capitals Frilan and Utik which are in the upper Tanier Valley.  Frilan, the first capital, postdates the Korioni (Guide p388) - it may have been the "Srotolin" razed by the Krjalki during the Gbaji Wars  (Guide p386) necessitating the move to Utik.  But the description of Utik says the capital was moved here after the Seshnegi were expelled from Safelster which could be any number of events.  I don't have a firm handle on the chronology here and until I looked at Guide p388 recently, I had thought the Srotolinae were post-Gabji Wars.  

One of the documents I have says Srotloin was the original name of Arolanit. Will have to check.

Here's the source:

https://www.glorantha.com/docs/safelster-in-the-first-age/

May be in The Middle Sea Empire, but the PDF isn't searchable.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M Helsdon said:

Nice catch!

Arolanit appears as such in early Dawn Age sketch maps (for your purposes it's good to note that Theuz is already extant) and the timeline of the Srotolinae is messy (pre-ST "long form" dating). If I were betting right now I'd say Srotolin was what the Bright Empire occupation called the territory "at the time" . . . but not its original name.

singer sing me a given

I just want to say that I find this all very interesting to follow. It seems virtually impossible to tease out a holistic image of these various (often conflicting) data points, but kudos to you guys for working on it. Even more than viewing this as a debate over which interpretation is "factual", it's just just engrossing to watch the different interpretations and possible syntheses springing from them. Cheers!

37 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

Nice catch!

Arolanit appears as such in early Dawn Age sketch maps (for your purposes it's good to note that Theuz is already extant) and the timeline of the Srotolinae is messy (pre-ST "long form" dating). If I were betting right now I'd say Srotolin was what the Bright Empire occupation called the territory "at the time" . . . but not its original name.

I'm not sure when Theuz was founded, or when the other cities in Arolanit were. That's why I put a blanket name on the map.

Srotolin had me puzzled for a time, until I decided I couldn't resolve the usages of the name and included a footnote to note the possible confusions. I'm pretty much limited to published sources (books, online documents, other online sources by Jeff or Greg) and a very few other things. I'd love to peer in Chaosium's vaults... And seriously regret not backing the Guide Kickstarter to obtain the Roots books.

35 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I just want to say that I find this all very interesting to follow. It seems virtually impossible to tease out a holistic image of these various (often conflicting) data points, but kudos to you guys for working on it. Even more than viewing this as a debate over which interpretation is "factual", it's just just engrossing to watch the different interpretations and possible syntheses springing from them. Cheers!

My attempt is driven by an attempt to write a sequel to 'The Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass' covering the West.

Almost immediately, realized there was a need to give overviews of the history and the religions, as without definitions of the varieties of Malkionism, it was difficult to attempt to describe the histories or the military cultures. One thing that turns up, is that for all the mentions of knights/horsemen etc. the one major type of cavalry the West is known for, in the Third Age, the cataphracts, is a relatively late development, probably only in place by the Second Age. That's driven a lot of speculation about the development of Western heavy cavalry. The late Silver Empire probably had proto-cataphracts, but lacking some of the ride armor, and most of the mount's armor. And it wasn't until the Second Age that a breed of the Daron became a suitable war horse - before that, big but slow.

The book, if it is permitted to be published is now about 108 pages and 80K words. Have started drawing illustrations for it.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

I'm not sure when Theuz was founded, or when the other cities in Arolanit were. That's why I put a blanket name on the map.

Srotolin had me puzzled for a time, until I decided I couldn't resolve the usages of the name and included a footnote to note the possible confusions. I'm pretty much limited to published sources (books, online documents, other online sources by Jeff or Greg) and a very few other things. I'd love to peer in Chaosium's vaults... And seriously regret not backing the Guide Kickstarter to obtain the Roots books.

You're doing great things. Someone needs to do them! 

Looking more closely at that particular map series Theuz emerges by 100 and "Arolanit" first appears in a different map series that dates from after the devastation of Kaanilland (110+). The accompanying tribal map on that one has this as Utoni territory for what that's worth.

Arolanit is a lot of trouble for me because in my view uninterrupted Brithini tenure in the area is not supported beyond propaganda. The Srotolinae, likewise, are absent from the tribal era in the texts I have (sad to say the Roots are only the tip of a dangerous iceberg, you have exactly the documents you need) . . . they really only emerge in the disintegration of the Seshnegite Empire as a new political identity briefly distinct from the Dangk and the Galaninae. Who knows what the official truth is! Reading behind the lines of the Safelster In The First Age reference I'd suspect "Srotolin" is some concept or entity of the Bright Empire now lost to us but briefly recovered around the God Learner collapse.

For what it's worth the "Theuz" map is also fairly clear that the northern colonies are part of an immediate post-Dawn wave . . . only Neleswal and Frowal show up in 0 but the usual Fronelan suspects are there by 100. This has been superseded by the Guide maps but it's worth seeing where Greg's head was in this era. (These maps also have a vast but apparently shallow Lake of Nralar and a smaller Cup of Neleom much higher north in Enjorela. The lake is gone by 100 ST.)

• Like 1

singer sing me a given

57 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

You're doing great things. Someone needs to do them! 

Sadly, there are limited data points.

This is (very vaguely) using techniques applied in a very different field involving data mining legacy... things, where the documentation was incomplete.

58 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

Looking more closely at that particular map series Theuz emerges by 100 and "Arolanit" first appears in a different map series that dates from after the devastation of Kaanilland (110+). The accompanying tribal map on that one has this as Utoni territory for what that's worth.

I suspect that the 'Loyal Colony' was there in some form, but not what might be expected. All the other 'colonies' were populated by exiles of one sort or another, and none maintained the apparent continuity of Arolanit (which only had an interregnum when the Middle Sea Empire invaded and all the upper castes mysteriously vanished, and came back after the MSE was toast).

1 hour ago, scott-martin said:

The Srotolinae, likewise, are absent from the tribal era in the texts I have (sad to say the Roots are only the tip of a dangerous iceberg, you have exactly the documents you need) . . . they really only emerge in the disintegration of the Seshnegite Empire as a new political identity briefly distinct from the Dangk and the Galaninae. Who knows what the official truth is! Reading behind the lines of the Safelster In The First Age reference I'd suspect "Srotolin" is some concept or entity of the Bright Empire now lost to us but briefly recovered around the God Learner collapse.

I have mistakenly ignored the other Srotolin; will have to look it again.

1 hour ago, scott-martin said:

For what it's worth the "Theuz" map is also fairly clear that the northern colonies are part of an immediate post-Dawn wave . . . only Neleswal and Frowal show up in 0 but the usual Fronelan suspects are there by 100. This has been superseded by the Guide maps but it's worth seeing where Greg's head was in this era. (These maps also have a vast but apparently shallow Lake of Nralar and a smaller Cup of Neleom much higher north in Enjorela. The lake is gone by 100 ST.)

Suspect canon has changed, because everything points to some very weak and precarious 'colonies' there at the Dawn.

I am hoping that I will be able to share the draft with a couple of readers, but the document is full of Chaosium IP.

One benefit of the writing style, also used in Armies and Enemies, is that writing as though in-world, but thousands of years later, you can speculate, and have footnotes with all sorts of things in, you couldn't do if you were writing an objective text. There's some distinct editorial bias.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

One benefit of the writing style, also used in Armies and Enemies, is that writing as though in-world, but thousands of years later, you can speculate, and have footnotes with all sorts of things in, you couldn't do if you were writing an objective text. There's some distinct editorial bias.

It's an achievement. Speaking for myself, anything I resent can always be scratched out as the anathemas of a rival heresiarch . . . but simply having this material on the table takes us closer to truth. There is something about the Enjoreli and those northern colonies (adopted by marriage if I recall) that I'll dig up when time permits. The persistence of AKEM within Sog is definitely a challenge.

• Like 1

singer sing me a given

11 hours ago, scott-martin said:

It's an achievement. Speaking for myself, anything I resent can always be scratched out as the anathemas of a rival heresiarch . . . but simply having this material on the table takes us closer to truth. There is something about the Enjoreli and those northern colonies (adopted by marriage if I recall) that I'll dig up when time permits. The persistence of AKEM within Sog is definitely a challenge.

It will be an achievement if it gets permission for publication...

I didn't intend, when I started this project to delve so deeply into history and religion, expecting this to max out at forty or fifty pages, but to get a grasp on Western martial culture required it. Unless you can present the nature and background of, for example Rokarism and the various sects of Hrestolism, it is difficult to describe the military of Seshnela, Fronela or even Ralios.

On 4/12/2020 at 7:55 PM, M Helsdon said:

Yes, after the Theyan missionaries arrive. Neolithic farming covers a huge range of types of farming, from the harvesting of natural plants through to domestication. I am keeping the term horticulture to indicate that this wasn't advanced farming techniques.

After the Theyalan missionaries arrive, they may introduce the plow, but farming at the Dawn is what the source says:

At the Dawn the four tribes of the Enerali (Korioni, Uton, Fornaoli, and Vustri) live from hunting, horse-herding, and the bounty of Mata and Flamal (mixed hunter-gatherer and neolithic farming). They use digging sticks to till the rich soil around Lakes Ehilmka and Felster.

So yes, horticulture is a fair term for this kind of tilling the soil, but this goes way beyond hunting and gathering only and is definitely not a Hsunchen way of life..

That's the source I used. On this scale of map positions are approximate.

I have been bitten by such generous misplaced labels before. Badly positioned labels have caused wrong assumptions before (e.g. displacing the Balmyr from the neighborhood of the Enjossi clan).

Details about the distribution of the tribes are mere speculation, but as far as I am concerned, the Vustri live rather further up the Doskior.

The Korioni appear to occupy the lowlands of the upper Tanier and the lands north of Lake Felster. The lower Tanier, the south of Lake Felster and the shores of Lake Ehilmkae appear to be the Utoni lands, with the Fornoari west of these two tribes, and the Vustri to the east.

I am not sure whether Galin and Helby would be Utoni, Korioni, or Vustri territory. Given the location of Naskorion, I am inclined to place the Vustri away from Lake Felster, but Helby might have been part of their territory if they were the first Enerali to meet missionaries from the south. Place names are usually a good indicator about habitats. But then Naskorion may have been claimed by the Korioni in the aftermath of the Battle of Zebrawood.

Vustria may have received that name after the Vustri lost territory to the Korioni and Utoni (or clans that remained got assimilated into those two tribes).

I don't mention the Entruli.

But you put the Mraloti into their lands, which is a peeve I seem to share with Peter.

The population density of Hsunchen hunter-gatherers will be incredibly small, so there is plenty of room for other peoples. These are intended to provide a range, not a controlled territory.

Wolf Hsunchen and pastoralism cannot co-exist peacefully unless the hunting is better than excellent. The arrival of the Telmori tribe in eastern Kerofinela kept several tribes fighting for their survival - Dinacoli, Malani, Sanchali (later the Cinsina), Maboder, Torkani, Culbrea, Kheldon and Aranwyth. Each of those tribes was as numerous as the Telmori. Granted, those were cursed Telmori, so the situation was different from prior to the Gbaji Wars, but the Orlanthi of Brolia are pastoralists cum hunter gatherers, and need as much range as the Telmori.

Eleven Beasts Alliance:

It seemed a useful label instead of 'various hsunchen'.

It is an anachronism, though. You wouldn't write "USA" for the Seven Years War colonies in North America, either.

When I first read about the Eleven Beasts Battle in the Broken Council Guidebook, the assumption was that some of those beasts were Praxian mercenaries on the side of the Council. There are ten extant Fronelan Hsunchen tribes mentioned in the Guide, without the Tawari (who are said to have received the aid of the Eleven Beasts Alliance), Telmori and Noyalings, so there may have been a sufficient number of different Hsunchen beasts available in the Dawn Age.

At that point, save for parts of the lowlands, it was all forest?

It was too warm to be a taiga, although the Darkness and the massive glaciation may have led to taiga-like forestation even in the sleeping elf forests.

Broken Council Guidebook

I'm afraid that document, whilst 'factual' when it was written, has an awful lot of problems when assessed beside current canon.

It does have a similar amount of speculative creation as has the "Life of Moonson" background with the first edition of the Rough Guide to Glamour. The ice breakers and some of the army branches and characters still retain that spirit of joyful expansion of the canon in MGF ways.

I was surprised that the Alekki made it into the Guide. The Bemuri are another assumption of the Broken Council guidebook, and as far as I can tell not originally part of the Hsunchen list. The usual convention for Hsunchen is that one species has one ancestral beast god, and having a Bemur alongside a Tawar as the Hsunchen Bull God seems weird, unless the cattle was notably different from the Fronelan ones. Bemur might have been a son of Tawar with his own distinct beasts, but even then, the Rathori subgroups still are recognized as Rathori by everybody else.

My suspicion is that the Tawari were an Enjoreli tribe.

I am with Peter, here. Tawari is the mother tribe, the Enjoreli are a local expression of that tribe, possibly having left the Hsunchen pure way for the sin of agriculture/horticulture.

A city like Croesia suggests an urban culture at least equivalent to that of the Pendali.

One of the documents I have says Srotolin was the original name of Arolanit. Will have to check.

Here's the source:

https://www.glorantha.com/docs/safelster-in-the-first-age/

As far as I can make out, that's the only such mention. The claim in the document is that the land was called Srotolin at the time of Arkat's arrival.

This might refer to parts of Arolanit on the Nidan River that had been conquered by tribes belonging to the Council. The Seshnelan Kings documents always speak of Arolanit.

May be in The Middle Sea Empire, but the PDF isn't searchable.

I made one of my (original purchase in print, then pdf, then one or two kickstarter-rewards...) legal pdfs searchable. PDF-XChange Viewer has an OCR function, but that has problems with italics, so I had to extract the text into a text processor and correct those manually. There is no mention of Srotolin there (and neither in the Kings of Seshnela html documents that used to be on glorantha.com, of which the second is the text that was annotated in MSE).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Details about the distribution of the tribes are mere speculation, but as far as I am concerned, the Vustri live rather further up the Doskior.

I am using the map in....

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/glorantha-2/the-enerali-circa-130-st/

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Wolf Hsunchen and pastoralism cannot co-exist peacefully unless the hunting is better than excellent.

You are severely overestimating population densities.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

When I first read about the Eleven Beasts Battle in the Broken Council Guidebook, the assumption was that some of those beasts were Praxian mercenaries on the side of the Council.

Which is entirely wrong.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

A city like Croesia suggests an urban culture at least equivalent to that of the Pendali.

A village.