Arkati Sorcery

Crel

I'm experimenting with some sorcery spells tailored for use by the Black Arkati in a scenario I'm writing (or other Illuminates, I suppose), and looking for a bit of feedback, if anyone's interested in looking it over. Not necessarily meant to be a comprehensive write-up, just a few spells to make an adventure more interesting or unusual.

The general theme I'm going for is "meta-sorcery," where they manipulate magic with their magic, letting them do strange things normal sorcerers/priests/shamans can't.

Arkati Sorcery draft.pdf

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

I like Wrest Rune Magic and Wrest Spirit Magic, but not so keen on Spell net. It seems that Spell Net just acts as a stored casting of a spell, or maybe I am reading it wrong.

By the way, you seem to have page headings for "A Murder in Sylthi" with strange page count with "Conrad" and starting at Page 16.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

No "Wrest Sorcery"? I'd quite like to Wrest someone's Spell Net!

If you Wrest an Extensioned spell, does it revert back to the original target when the Wrest spell ends?

What if you Wrest a spell that a shaman is keeping up with Spell Extension?

Edited by PhilHibbs

18 hours ago, soltakss said:

It seems that Spell Net just acts as a stored casting of a spell

Yep, that was my goal. In our prior home campaign, we used a heavily bastardized version of Petersen's RQ3 sorcery. Sorcerers using the Hold Art was something of a trope for us, and Spell Net was my attempt to RQG-ify how that felt, without introducing different sorcery rules.

18 hours ago, soltakss said:

By the way, you seem to have page headings for "A Murder in Sylthi" with strange page count with "Conrad" and starting at Page 16.

Ah, that would be because I excerpted the PDF from the Word doc of a scenario I'm working on, set in Sylthi. Forgot to remove the header.

9 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

No "Wrest Sorcery"? I'd quite like to Wrest someone's Spell Net!

That's a good point. I think it'd be difficult to target a Spell Net, because it's not an externally obvious spell (like True Sword, for example), but definitely possible. There should be a Wrest Sorcery, for sure. My brain just didn't end up there.

If you Wrest an Extensioned spell, does it revert back to the original target when the Wrest spell ends?

I'd say no, since Wrest is Instant. That might mean that Wrest ought to be Temporal, and only last for its own duration. I can't recall if an Extension'd spell (or Rune spells in general) can be canceled prematurely. I think that has significant impact on the sorcery spell's game balance. It'd be a huge feel-bad for players if an enemy sorcerer stole their Extension'd Shield, and then they got neither the spell effect nor their Rune points until it ended.

What if you Wrest a spell that a shaman is keeping up with Spell Extension?

Same. As written, you keep the Wrested spell. Of course, a shaman can just go "I'm not extending it anymore" and then the spell only lasts 2 minutes, as I understand ending a Spell Extension.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website