Storm Bull Shrines near the Zola Fel

GAZZA

Obviously I am free to scatter shrines wherever I like IMG, but are there are any canonically reasonably important shrines or temples to Storm Bull within, say, half a day or so from Corflu, heading up the Zola Fel towards Prax?

That's a pretty specific question GAZ.

Right. Thing is, I'm playing through the River of Cradles game, and one of my players is a Storm Bull. They are, roughly, at Corflu, about to head up to Prax, and I'm pretty sure (since the Storm Bull High Holy Day is "today") that he'll want to (or, by some interpretations, pretty much have to) go visit somewhere to do the whole worship the Bull thing.

On a somewhat related question, do initiates of hunter gods participate in the Great Hunt? (Assuming they are not eligible for priest hood). As described it looks as if the three weeks before Sacred Time are at least minor holy days for Odayla/Foundchild/Yinkin, and I'm wondering how (if that's the case) since all priests are off hunting, who is running the worship ceremonies? (To say nothing of the implicit "worship ceremonies take several hours/most of the day" bit, which would seem to leave the poor hunter priests very little time to actually hunt).

20 minutes ago, GAZZA said:

do initiates of hunter gods participate in the Great Hunt?

yes

20 minutes ago, GAZZA said:

As described it looks as if the three weeks before Sacred Time are at least minor holy days for Odayla/Foundchild/Yinkin, and I'm wondering how (if that's the case) since all priests are off hunting, who is running the worship ceremonies?

The entire hunt is effectively a "worship" ceremony.  Basically figure they gather at the start for the formal ceremony, then disperse on the hunt, and there is a final "worship" at the end when the Master Hunter is revealed.

The weeks are holy days because it's the entire time of the Great Hunt.

22 minutes ago, GAZZA said:

are there are any canonically reasonably important shrines or temples to Storm Bull within, say, half a day or so from Corflu, heading up the Zola Fel towards Prax?

Not that have been identified to my knowledge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GAZZA said:

Obviously I am free to scatter shrines wherever I like IMG, but are there are any canonically reasonably important shrines or temples to Storm Bull within, say, half a day or so from Corflu, heading up the Zola Fel towards Prax?

If you mean mounted, then that's 10km (page 102, Herders’ path in bad weather or travel through wilderness). Corflu is in Prax, so I take that you mean North, given 1 hex is 8km:

1474992608_Screenshot2020-04-10at15_32_16.png.0d69c89846a79b7a9b520d498da44a74.png 

Horngate is the nearest fixed shrine. Nearly all others are part of the tribes, medicine bundles (portable) that function as a shrine or even small temple, in the care of a Storm Khan. Sanctified sites can also be found, they are rarely despoiled and so are holy ground:

Finally, many local spots are marked by cult Runes to mark victories and heroic places. These may be scratched in sand, burned in stone, laid out with bones, or whatever strikes the fancy of the worshiper.

Just have the group meet a Storm Khan and follower group, these are normally mixed as Storm Bull is an intertribal cult. Have them out on the hunt for a chaos creature that they can use as the centre of the holy day ritual. Get them to bring it to their sanctified spot for one of them to kill in hand to hand combat, better still get the SB adventurer to do it. Usual ritual rules - naked, unarmed with a giant horned helmet, they have to gore it to death... My players really enjoyed this (the creature was broo, but if a Storm Khan then get something more dangerous. Don't forget it's okay for the SB cultist to die (just have a heal body handy) - this is what happened to SB to get to the Underworld before the final battle.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

3 hours ago, GAZZA said:

On a somewhat related question, do initiates of hunter gods participate in the Great Hunt?

Grab a copy of Griffin Mountain page 24, the Great Hunt is detailed in there:

https://www.chaosium.com/griffin-mountain-pdf-1/

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

16 hours ago, GAZZA said:

Praxians are nomads who worship Storm Bull. Find a group of Praxians on a Storm Bull holy day, you’ll probably find a Storm Bull worship ceremony (or failing that, a bunch of people who can point you towards one). Their “shrines” are portable medicine bundles, not fixed sites / locations, because they’re nomads. You’ll almost always find an animal nomad tribe at any oasis in Prax, and you’ll usually find them on any large enough patch of fertile ground that hasn’t been grazed bare lately - just look for a big herd of animals and head towards them.

If you’re specifically looking for Sartarite, non-Praxian Storm Bull rites, you’ll be out of luck until you reach Pavis County (settled by Sartarites). How easy it is to find Storm Bull rites if they’re still under Lunar occupation is up to you (I don’t know when your game is set, but in RuneQuest Classics the Lunar Empire still occupies civilised Prax and Pavis up until 1625 or so)

2 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Praxians are nomads who worship Storm Bull. Find a group of Praxians on a Storm Bull holy day, you’ll probably find a Storm Bull worship ceremony (or failing that, a bunch of people who can point you towards one). Their “shrines” are portable medicine bundles, not fixed sites / locations, because they’re nomads. You’ll almost always find an animal nomad tribe at any oasis in Prax, and you’ll usually find them on any large enough patch of fertile ground that hasn’t been grazed bare lately - just look for a big herd of animals and head towards them.

If you’re specifically looking for Sartarite, non-Praxian Storm Bull rites, you’ll be out of luck until you reach Pavis County (settled by Sartarites). How easy it is to find Storm Bull rites if they’re still under Lunar occupation is up to you (I don’t know when your game is set, but in RuneQuest Classics the Lunar Empire still occupies civilised Prax and Pavis up until 1625 or so)

Nomads are fine - my Storm Bull player is in fact a bison rider. (I have a Bison Rider Storm Bull, a Sartarite Humakti, an Old Tarshite Odayalan, and a Grazelander Yelmite - language is currently a problem ;) ). I didn't realise there were nomadic shrines, but that makes sense - and since they are currently travelling by boat along the Zola Fel there shouldn't be any problem with fertile ground.

All of you have been invaluable, cheers guys! I am still unfortunately a Gloranthan novice and I find these sorts of "daily life" questions hard to find answers for in the sourcebooks.