negative DB and bows

If a character with a negative DB uses a weapon that adds 1/2 the DB is the DB really doubled? Getting a -2d4 penalty on damage rolls seems excessively harsh and makes weapons like bows and slings next to useless. Is there another way of handling DB and weapons that add 1/2 DB to damage?

I would think you would only add 1/2 the negaqtive db. I can't see why the db peanlty would be twice as bad with a thrown weapon. So a -1D4DB could just use -1D2.

For bows, another other would be to tie the damage rating of the bow to it's draw weight. Realistically, a archer would not want to draw more than this, even if he was very strong, as it would weaken and eventually destroy the bow.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

If a character with a negative DB uses a weapon that adds 1/2 the DB is the DB really doubled?

According to page 29 BRP? Yup!

Getting a -2d4 penalty on damage rolls seems excessively harsh ...

Yup! But look at Halflings on page 345 BRP they have a -1d6 DB but they also get a cheeky get out clause.

I seem to recall that in RQ, the 1/2 DB only occured for thrown weapons, bows and slings didn't use the DB at all. Hadn't really noticed this rule in BRP, I would think twice before using it.

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

I am actually thinking of removing db from bows and slings and using normal db values for thrown weapons. One of these days I have to track down every game that uses a version of BRP so I can pick and choose the best bits from each and make my own version of BRP.