Will there be a new Stormbringer or Elric! edition ?

Darkgael

Hello fairly new to the Choasium Forums mainly sticking around the Call of Cthulhu end but have loved Stormbringer since the first edition when I picked it up in high school so is there any chance of a new edition ? or is there something with the IP that has changed ? or is someone else gonna bring out a version ? I would prefer a Choasium release but would like any info anyone has on the subject would be great thanx 

@MOB @Jason Durallplease, correct me if I say anything wrong. My understanding is that:

1. In theory, Chaosium would be happy to release a new Stormbringer but that needs a Conjunction of the Million Spheres...
  2. ... they must reach  a new licensing agreement with Michael Moorcock
  3. ... they need to fit this among their other projects  

So, I guess this is not happening anytime soon in this plane of existence.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smiorgan said:

@MOB @Jason Durallplease, correct me if I say anything wrong. My understanding is that:

1. In theory, Chaosium would be happy to release a new Stormbringer but that needs a Conjunction of the Million Spheres...
  2. ... they must reach  a new licensing agreement with Michael Moorcock
  3. ... they need to fit this among their other projects  

So, I guess this is not happening anytime soon in this plane of existence.

If we got 1 and 2 we'd make 3 happen. But with all the will in the world, the RPG rights are not currently available.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MOB said:

If we got 1 and 2 we'd make 3 happen. But with all the will in the world, the RPG rights are not currently available.

Thanks for the clarification, depressing as it may be. But there is too much exciting stuff happening at Chaosium to be depressed...

5 hours ago, Darkgael said:

Hello fairly new to the Choasium Forums mainly sticking around the Call of Cthulhu end but have loved Stormbringer since the first edition when I picked it up in high school so is there any chance of a new edition ? or is there something with the IP that has changed ? or is someone else gonna bring out a version ? I would prefer a Choasium release but would like any info anyone has on the subject would be great thanx 

Do you happen to read French? There is a French game out called Mournblade that’s just gorgeous. Don’t know about the rules though.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

You know, now that I think of it, I think their is a Spanish version of Stormbringer out there. Not a Spanish version of a Chaosium or Mongoose product but an independent product.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Guest Vile Traveller
On 4/12/2020 at 4:24 AM, rsanford said:

You know, now that I think of it, I think their is a Spanish version of Stormbringer out there. Not a Spanish version of a Chaosium or Mongoose product but an independent product.

Moorcock doesn't seem to be fundamentally set against licencing his IP to companies that pay him their royalty fees.

It would be great to see Stormbringer return especially given the interest in retro games  and for those discovering Elric through the forthcoming Amazon project. 

It would need new products and some actual plays on YouTube would help get the word out. I personally saw a rise in cthulhu games amongst local d&d fans after Critical Role did their CoC game with Taliesin Jaffe as Keeper👍

• Like 3

I think it would also be useful to have products that would make a good transition to the Virtual Table Top as well as physical books/pdf, as these ways of playing are increasing in popularity in the current environment and are likely to remain in use now that folks are familiar with them. Maybe official Tokens as well as cardboard pawns in appropriate art, hopefully with a stylised feel to them in a similar but not identical feel to TSR's Planescape art by Tony DiTerlizzi. 

@Hionhurn your VTT & AP/streaming ideas look fine, but (as per @Jason Durall above (and n.b. he's Chaosium!)) it appears you need to work those via BBC, or whoever they run the games-license through, if/when they do it.

Until/unless it comes "home" to Chaosium, their hands are tied.

• Sad 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 10:37 PM, NurgleHH said:

It is a shame, that the licence is given to an unknown company without a English release. Only french. Michael Moorcock had these love for France. Hope to see a new version in the Mongoose tradition. This was a very good work.

Hey, it's not an unknown company, it's... well, even from a French point of view, it's  a very small company, with only 2 published games and an upcoming Hawkmoon one, which I think means their first game, WasteLand, is dead, as it is very close to Hawkmoon's themes and mood.

@rsanfordThe game uses the company's own system, CYD, (Chose Your Die). It's a very classical d10+attribute+skill > Difficulty system. Rolls over Difficulty+10 are "Exceptional" successes, and rolls under Difficulty-10 are fumbles. It's possible to chose to roll a d20 instead of a d10 (hence the system's name), but odd results will count as 0, and 1s and 11s will result in automatic failures.

• 5 months later...

Just a quick comment to say I would love to see a revised edition by Chaosium.

It's in my list of games I want to try. Worst case scenario I'll find a way to obtain an older edition.

If I'm really lucky, by the time I'm ready to try it (after Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign 😁), Chaosium comes out with a revision edition including the Rogue Mistress campaign. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Mat Mobile
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mat Mobile said:

Just a quick comment to say I would love to see a revised edition by Chaosium.

It's in my list of games I want to try. Worst case scenario I'll find a way to obtain an older edition.

If I'm really lucky, by the time I'm ready to try it (after Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign 😁), Chaosium comes out with a revision edition including the Rogue Mistress campaign. Fingers crossed!

As noted earlier in the thread, the RPG rights are not currently available.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 12:56 PM, Sir Pom-Pom said:

As others have said before: it's very difficult if not nearly impossible.

FAQ: What issues did Michael Moorcock have with Chaosium?

https://www.multiverse.org/forum/fabulous-harbours-%E2%97%A6-welcome-to-moorcock-s-miscellany/faq/15384-faq-what-issues-did-michael-moorcock-have-with-chaosium

All of those issues were with the old management, who are no longer with the company.

Chaosium is essentially a new company, fiscally stable and responsible, and the company has done much to rectify the mistakes of the past, even going above and beyond what could be reasonably expected. I cannot provide more details, but a major goal has been to re-establish goodwill with the Moorcocks. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jason D said:

I cannot provide more details, but a major goal has been to re-establish goodwill with the Moorcocks. 

I think you should hurry. Moorcock and also his fans are not young ones and the audience for Stormbringer is slowly fading away like dust in the wind. And with newer systems in the RPG-World the chance for release of the old stormbringer is becoming only a wish of few survivers, I'm afraid

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NurgleHH said:

I think you should hurry. Moorcock and also his fans are not young ones and the audience for Stormbringer is slowly fading away like dust in the wind. And with newer systems in the RPG-World the chance for release of the old stormbringer is becoming only a wish of few survivers, I'm afraid

Moorcock's works were just re-released less than a decade ago by Gollancz, and are still in print. 

The BBC Hawkmoon series will likely spike readers to that novel series and associated Moorcock books. 

I have very little doubt that a new edition of Stormbringer would find an audience among longtime fans as well as newcomers to the character and his amazing universe. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Jason D said:

Moorcock's works were just re-released less than a decade ago by Gollancz, and are still in print. 

The BBC Hawkmoon series will likely spike readers to that novel series and associated Moorcock books. 

I have very little doubt that a new edition of Stormbringer would find an audience among longtime fans as well as newcomers to the character and his amazing universe. 

We will see... when it ever will happen...

On 2/18/2021 at 10:40 PM, Jason D said:

I have to admit that a new edition of Stormbringer by Chaosium (especially with the much improved quality of the products under the new management) would feel like things are right again. In my youth, Chaosium was Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, Pendragon and Stormbringer (with a good nod to SuperWorld). It feels like almost everyone is back home.

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 2