Runequest Roll20 official support?

AJ The Ronin

On 4/20/2020 at 11:08 AM, GianniVacca said:

My online RQG GM (Steve; I don't think he's on this forum) has created a zillion macros and we have just about everything needed to play on Roll20: strike ranks, augments, spell effects, spell durations,... but he's been improving that for two years now. Maybe Chaosium should simply purchase his macros 🙂

I would potentially like to! for personal use obviously...

On 4/20/2020 at 11:23 AM, GAZZA said:

We're using the RQG character sheet that comes with Roll 20 (which is fine, but not ideal - especially as a GM as I'm constantly having to tell it to use the NPC sheet), but I am just keeping track of hit points, magic points, and so on for NPCs in an Excel spreadsheet rather than try to force Roll 20 to look after it for me. It works OK for PCs though.

One of my players recently donated so that I now have the ad-free version and "rollable tables", which I haven't had a chance to look at yet.

I was a bit short on time for prep on Saturday; when I needed an impala for my hunting table, I just grabbed the first result on the web search, which turned out to be the car. :) My players were amused.

The NPC is ok but doesnt roll for special or crit damage which is a pain 

As much as I like the idea of that, In roll20 you don't need a dozen NPC character sheets for the same basic npc (if they are not all completely unique. You only need one Bandit sheet, as an example; then you can pull out as many bandit tokens from that one sheet and they will have have (in theory) their own HP tracking. Though seeing as how Runequest has HP split up into various Hit Locations, maybe a Squad sheet would be good. That is an interesting idea for sure

Edited by skulldixon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 4:21 PM, StephenMcG said:

That is an issue in Roll20.  The GM is not facilitated to run a cast of thousands.  There is nothing like the combat sheet holding a dozen NPC stat blocks like there was in RQ2.

It would be amazing if there was a GM sheet for squads etc.

I've found that I never use the online sheets for NPC's when I'm running a game.  Maybe, for one or two leaders, but not the grunts.  I find it much easier to just work up paper sheets.  I roll dice for the NPC's anyway, so there's not a lot of value.  I've been using the Adversary generator here on BRP to build the basics of my NPCS(   Generator ), so it's not a big deal to print them out.  I found online sheets for NPCS gave me toooooooo many windows to flip between.    YMMV.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:32 AM, Rick Meints said:

If anyone with VTT skills related to converting our materials onto those platforms wants to contact us and volunteer to help, they are most welcome to do so.

I would be happy to contribute to a Runequest and/or Pendragon Foundry implementation.  

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 7:03 AM, FungusColombicus said:

It is too late for me since our GM just killed the campaign we are playing out of frustration with Roll20. Between the lag... the problems with the character sheets and the impossible to manage "mystery" added/removed penalties for throws... nightmare in few words.

That's a shame.  I'm GM'ing an RQG campaign on Roll20 and haven't had any issues at all - no 'mystery penalties'.  The character sheet makes all the difference.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:11 PM, Andrew Cowie said:

If there is any desire to raise money so they can get paid enough to focus on RQG and deliver a solid product, then I for one would be delighted to prepay in an informal Kickstarter style?

Me too, but even that kind of thing takes time to organise and I have a lot of sympathy for the ambitious schedule of forthcoming RQG products of which we see and hear tantalising snippets here and there.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, astaroth said:

As I'm working on FoundryVTT system and have a working Alpha of RQG for it, and can support creating content on Foundry, if it is of interest for Chaosium I volunteer my code and effort to improve / complete it.

That is wonderful news.  I'm keen to use Foundry - it seems superior to Roll20 in many way (so far as I can tell) but lacks any support at all for RQG.  Even having a workable character sheet would make a significant difference.

I completely understand Chaosium focusing on getting CoC content onto Roll20 over RQG with whatever bandwdth is available to them. It's economically rational given CoC is c.10% of all games on Roll20 IIRC.

It would certainly be a boon if the published RQG material facilitated adaption by the community for use in VTTs.  For example, having a version of a map that doesn't have all the key locations marked on it that can be used as a virtual handout (I suppose that's true for face-to-face also). The isometric art of locations is wonderfully evocative but has less utility as a virtual asset if it is intended to be the scene of a fight. The illustrations of NPC's in the GM Pack, Pegasus Plateau etc are excellent assets to crop out and use as virtual handouts. I've found that by creating handouts with a bit of sourcebook material the players are reading it for themselves rather than having it read to them.

All-in-all my group is very satisfied with the RQG experience in Roll20. As GM I'd like to pedal a little less hard to make the magic happen but it's not a showstopper.

• Like 1

Those look great.

At the last Improtu Con they said that they don't have a ton of control over when content gets put up on sites like Roll20. Stuff for Runequest are on the list but there is a ton of other stuff, not just chaosium stuff, on that list that is waiting to be worked on.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:59 AM, astaroth said:

I have a working system for Foundry VTT. And working for my own system of Compendium as they cannot be provided without a license or without being sold by Chaosium

Are you planning to make your RQG character sheet available on Foundry VTT? It would be great to have access to one - RQG currently relies on fan support (an excellent character sheet) on Roll20 and has none on Foundry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 4:21 PM, astaroth said:

Yes it took time but it is now shared.

Do you mind if I try to contribute? I found myself currently with no games going on and I think I could be useful to contribute in the project.

Do you have some roadmap?

I downloaded your system into my local FTT and i'm trying it out 

On 6/29/2021 at 1:29 PM, FaFaFa said:

It's a shame there is still no way you can share your system with others. When I see systems for other games that keep popping up on foundry and nothing is done for RQG, I'm jealous.

"Sharing" that content shouldn't happen as that would involve our Gloranthan IP. If you mean, "purchasing", we are working on it.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

"Sharing" that content shouldn't happen as that would involve our Gloranthan IP. If you mean, "purchasing", we are working on it.

I hope you're "working on" very favorable terms / minimal costs for those who are just making VTT support-tools!

I *entirely* understand Chaosium wanting a bigger fee if people are re-implementing swaths of the game (such that book-buying becomes optional (in favor of online tools)); but simple mechanical aids (for those of us WITH the books, to help us play online) are sorely needed, and their lack (compared to several other games) is, TBH, glaringly-visible to many of us in the fandom.

Chaosium is also significantly behind on their previously-promised material, in regards to modern computer game-aids.  Where's the "official" character-creation software, just to speed rolling up PC's & NPC's for at-the-table play?   Etc etc etc...

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2021 at 1:59 PM, astaroth said:

I have a working system for Foundry VTT. And working for my own system of Compendium as they cannot be provided without a license or without being sold by Chaosium

Installed the sheet yesterday. Pretty kool that you also got the New Starter Set Sheet in there as an option as well (though it looks like it still a work in progress). 
With the main sheet, I noticed that that Tabs are unclickable due to an issue where several areas are overlapping. I'm curious if its just me that is having this issue though.

Runequestsheetv001.jpg