Is Cakebread & Walton Alive, Dead, Undead or in the process of Resurrection?

General Kong

No homepage, Fracebook not up-to-date - if "nothing happens here" isn't the thing that is to-date ...

Really, any news? I'd hate to see C&W dead and buries, not only because of Renaissance and Clockwork & Chivalry but I am also quite fond of OneDice.

So, if Resurrection is the plan then I am really looking forward to the Reckoning! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, soltakss said:

One member of Cakebread & Walton is recovering from a serious illness, which probably explains any silence.

Even before the medical issues, I believe they were one of those (many, I think) smaller game companies that was finding the whole a "maintain a webpage and/or social-media presences" to be a huge time-sink.  They wanted their time spent on C&W to be spent on products (writing, layout etc), not web/blog/etc stuff...

Hopefully, they'll begin ramping back up, in time...  And maybe will comment on this thread... 🙂

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Yes, that is what I was hoping for - some kind of "hanging in there, still need some time" kinda message.

I don't care too much about the webpage and don't care at all about this social-media mania of "And now I am about to type in a new paragraph for my newest adven .. upps .. telephone"-up-to-dateterinism.

Quality needs time. But I was really hoping to see the last part of the Clockwork & Chivalry campaign in print.

And I totally agree with the Flintlock series! Great stuff! Especially the two adventures about the French-and-Indian-War. But I also like the "Iirish reavers"-adventures. Both would make great setting/ campaigns for Renaissance.

And it is also too bad that the third and the fourth part of "A Clockwork in Orange" seems doubtful to see printing. I helped a little with research for the second part and some translations. A shame really.

But the thing about the illness is news to me. I thought one had left the company because of retirement or too much of a workload (doing this besides the regular job). Hope he is getting better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Der Rote Baron said:

But the thing about the illness is news to me. I thought one had left the company because of retirement or too much of a workload (doing this besides the regular job). Hope he is getting better.

No, he was "on leave" or something, for medical need.

His partner (and I'm forced to confess I don't know which is Cakebread or Walton) is simply unable to do the work of two.

Plus, I suspect, each brought their own strengths (and weaknesses) to the partnership; depending on the task, a solid day's work from one might take a week or more from th'other... and vice versa for a different task.  (all time estimates pulled strictly from my own hat, without reference to anything real)  So while I /think/ (& hope) that products are still progressing... it is /certainly/ progressing  v-e-r-r-r-y---s-l-o-w-l-y .

I too hope the one gent who's been unwell is getting better!!!

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks, Peter, for sharing the situation with us fans in such a straight-forward and honest to God-fashion. It is really appreciated!

(I just speak on behalf of everybody here - and whoever objects to that can see me on the field of honour, 5.30 in the morning, your choice of weapons!)

Please realted our (see above!) best wishes to Ken and we all hope that he will be all right or better really soon.

Speaking about being a Luddite - I can alsolutely realte to that. Only difference is that I have never been very tech-savy. Anyhow, I really hope that you will find another person (until Ken gets better) who can fill in OR that by some miraculous spider-bite you get them tech-superpowers back!  😉

Cheers!

All the Fans!

P.S.: My seconds are ready to take down your names now, gentlemen ... and there is a solicitor on stand-by if you want to write down your last wish. You are adviced to do so - I'm a killer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Der Rote Baron said:

Thanks, Peter, for sharing the situation with us fans in such a straight-forward and honest to God-fashion. It is really appreciated!

(I just speak on behalf of everybody here - and whoever objects to that can see me on the field of honour, 5.30 in the morning, your choice of weapons!)

Please realted our (see above!) best wishes to Ken and we all hope that he will be all right or better really soon.

Speaking about being a Luddite - I can alsolutely realte to that. Only difference is that I have never been very tech-savy. Anyhow, I really hope that you will find another person (until Ken gets better) who can fill in OR that by some miraculous spider-bite you get them tech-superpowers back!  😉

Cheers!

All the Fans!

P.S.: My seconds are ready to take down your names now, gentlemen ... and there is a solicitor on stand-by if you want to write down your last wish. You are adviced to do so - I'm a killer.

If you want a duel so badly, you shoud really come up with something more controversial.

Besides that, +1 to everything you're saying!

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2020 at 6:38 PM, doomedpc said:

we'd gee ourselves up over the phone

I read this as "ghee" and imagined people slathering themselves in clarified butter before talking on the phone. But that was a wonderfully personal and heartfelt response, and I think I'm probably better for having read it.  I wish you good fortune and good health in your coming endeavours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Vile Traveller
8 hours ago, tobarstep said:

I read this as "ghee" and imagined people slathering themselves in clarified butter before talking on the phone.

Wait, doesn't everyone do that? 😳

I wonder if a company like Modiphius could help out they seem to be always on the lookout for cool new settings and Rita and Chris Birch seem pretty enthusiastic about the hobby.

Very glad to hear that Mr. Walton is on the mend and long may that continue and even if nothing comes from the desks of Cakebread and Walton again I would like to thank them for the awesome inspiration and gaming goodness that their products have brought me, now I have to leave as I believe that the arch fiend Cromwell is doing something unholy with clockwork and something called a balloon or was it a Walloon? never mind he will be stopped again, Long live the King!

• Like 4

All we loyal Roundheads know: That Vile Traitor to Parliament of the Good Folks of England, that Ally of the Bishop of Rome who is the Representative of the Devil Himself, that Fodder for the Abyss who entertains witches and warlocks in his camp has not long to live!

Defend the True Faith!

All Hail to Parliament!

All hail to the Republic!

All hail to the Lord Protector!

For England!

And if you think that this Rhinish Pfalzgraf of the Palatine will give you an edge - think again! Soon Rote Kampfflieger from our Protestant allies in Germany will straf your witches with tri-planes from the sky like Cherubins from Heaven itself!

Triplanes - that are flying machines! "Ballons" - improve your intelligence, you Papists!

God help us - we will send you all to hell!

• Haha 1

Guest Vile Traveller
13 minutes ago, Der Rote Baron said:

That Vile Traitor to Parliament of the Good Folks of England, that Ally of the Bishop of Rome who is the Representative of the Devil Himself, that Fodder for the Abyss who entertains witches and warlocks in his camp has not long to live!

Oi! Who are you calling a traitor?

You if you a follower of that excuse for a King! Hah! See you on the field of honour - you see me in my triplane coming down on you from the sky! 😉

Let the Lord be witness which powers is more potent: Papism and Magickal Trickery OR True Faith and Machinery!

Edited by Der Rote Baron
  • Haha 1

Clockwork Triplanes! see the truth behind these so called Godly they start using the cursed clockwork and little by little they end up looking like this! Dressed openly in the red of the great evil and changing the Lords holy design of humanity, replacing holy flesh with ungodly metal, and I won't even mention where the winding key goes!!!

tech.jpg

Edited by Butters
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah right about now (not that there's ever a good time) is the time that cancer would need to be dealt with. A friend is having surgery this weekend and she'll be on lockdown at our place to recover for a time. Best wishes and loving kindness to Ken and his family. And whatever and however things go with the company do know that you made amazing things together that will continue to be amazing even if they languish. I imagine some greasy 13-yr old finding an out of print version or orphaned pdf of Renaissance and being launched into whatever OSR will be to the kids in 20 years. Your contribution was and is appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Sorry to here about Ken and that the company is on hiatus.

I’d like to say I’ve very much enjoyed running Dark Street. I’ve been weaving mine, yours and Trial of Cthulhu scenarios into a campaign. We are about to do the Case of the Missing Professor, I’m sorry that we won’t be able to do the rest of the ‘Toad’ campaign.

thanks Paul 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Peter. I remember meeting you at Dragonmeet Kensington town hall (not sure which year - edit - think it was 2011 as I think we spoke again at continuumIn 2012 but could be wrong about that one) , having a great chat and then buying C&C. Haven’t looked back, bought pretty much everything and had loads of fun playing and running. 
Wishing you all the best. 
would love it if you could just “trickle out” the odd adventure for C&C/DS etc. 
best 

Jeff 

Edited by Jeff Mindlin
Memory

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 12:38 AM, doomedpc said:

Hi Folks,

It's the Peter Cakebread half of Cakebread & Walton. Thanks for all the lovely words I can't really express how much the support and encouragement means to me, I'm passionate about our games and know that you all are too!

Long story short, C&W is still on hiatus, although our stuff is still available. Whether I'll be able to resurrect the company and get back to publishing new material is very uncertain. I really want to find a way to move forward, but, as some of you have guessed already, things are not that simple.

Hi Peter,

sorry for the late reply; if you're still reading here, my best wishes to Ken for his recovering health, and to both for any new (or old) endeavors that you want to accomplish.

I imagine you already did that, but have you tried to approach Chaosium for help in continuing your game lines? They are very passionate about RPGs, and K&W books always struck me as some of the best-produced RPG books from a small company out there... And they're clearly up Chaosium's (Dark) alley! As someone else already suggested, Modiphius could be another possible partner.

Apart from this, I just wanted to let you know that I am immensely enjoying the Clockwork of Orange campaign. Thanks to both you and Ken for these fine products.

• Like 5