Is Cakebread & Walton Alive, Dead, Undead or in the process of Resurrection?

General Kong

On 10/12/2020 at 11:03 AM, Bilharzia said:

Perhaps translating the system to a version of Mythras? The Design Mechanism look pretty busy these days, but a Gateway publication with a partner might be the way to go, in the way that Clarence has done with M-Space and Odd Soot.

I don't see what that would gain them...?

I'm pretty sure that C&W already understand their Renaissance mechanics at least as well as they understand Mythras.

AFAIK, TDM's Gateway License doesn't offer any additional TDM services to help the licensee produce content; it just permits them to use the Mythras engine, and advertise as such (or have I misunderstood, @Loz, @Pete Nash? ), and sometimes TDM does a "spotlight" promo for their licensees, and such-like.

If C&W isn't getting content written as fast, laid-out, etc... they STILL wouldn't be doing so, under Mythras Gateway.  In fact, going to a new mechanic would likely slow things down...

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

As Prinz says, there are a number of previously-BRP project which have moved to Mythras - Classic Fantasy and M-Space, for example as well as TDM's expanding settings for Mythic Earth and other campaign settings in science fiction and fantasy. There's a growing number of associated authors writing both for in-house TDM and Gateway publications. Reading what Peter has said in April, it sounds like an interested collaborator would help, the Mythras community is very active and there are lots of people interested in historical settings. At the moment there's nothing in the Mythras range which covers the same region and period that Renaissance does.

• Like 2

I must confess that I'm sceptical about going with Mythras ... changing/modifying the Renaissance ruleset doesn't really seem necessary (also, the Renaissance system has its own unique approach to HPs and Major Wounds, and I would actually hate to see that go). The Mythras community does have a great dynamic at the moment, and sales could certainly profit from that, but if the problem is not sales, but getting material ready for publication, that wouldn't really help.

On the other hand, creating a Mythras edition of Renaissance might entice new creative talent to come aboard, so that would be great.

I think folks are hopeful that TDM would somehow throw extra production resources at a Gateway License, so products could flow faster... which AFAIK isn't a thing they do, really (willing to be mistaken, o' course!).

C'es ne pas un .sig

There are no hopeful folks, there's just my suggestion that Mythras Gateway is one way for the Renaissance settings to continue. I did not suggest, nor do I hope that TDM would 'throw extra production resources' to support such a project. It is simply the case that there is a close relation between both the system for Renaissance and Mythras and the approach to the campaign settings, and that Mythras is very active, with TDM's own publications and Gateway authors releasing independently. TDM has recently released "Fioracitta" which is a fantasy city setting based on Renaissance Italian city states, and a HRE-like, but using a fantasy setting, city campaign "Book of Schemes" is in development. TDM's own Mythic Earth supplements tend to stay closer to the historical reality while adding the magical and mythical beliefs of the time as real-for-the-game elements.

A way for future Renaissance books to get developed and get released would be for an enthusiastic Mythras Gateway developer to partner with Peter and get it going again. The systems share DNA and some authors so it does not seem like much of a stretch, given that new books are on hold for C&W while Mythras is expanding both within TDM and for Gateway productions, this means both a growing audience and a growing number of writers and developers.

• Like 2

The Mythras Gateway wouldn't be the best approach for Renaissance. I think what Pete and Ken need is someone who can take on pipeline, production and even some content creation to keep the Renaissance line afloat.

TDM has a pretty full pipeline of its own, and I'm not familiar enough with the current Renaissance line-up to be able to assess how, or even if we could, help.

But it's something ponder.

If we were to help out, we wouldn't insist on any Mythraicising of Renaissance: it's its own thing, works extremely well as its own thing, and should stay as its own thing.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

• 2 weeks later...