Why RQM is not like D&D

soltakss

I totally agree about the need to separate roll-influencing capabilities given to players (Hero Points or Fate Points) from character improvement.

I don't agree. I've played several games that combine "roll influencing capabilities" with character improvement and they tend to work out fine. What I think is needed is for the "roll influencing capabilities" to be expended when used, rather than automatically renewing each session or adventure.

What happens when the pool renews automatically is that player tend to use them up more often and with less thought, since they know that:

1) If they don7t use them, they loose them.

2) THey are going to get them back next week/adventure, anyway.

By contrast when the points are gone for good players try to use them when they need them rather than whenever they fail a die roll. Sure, in such games players can usually earn more "hero points" but in the meantime the character is a bit more vulnerable.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I'm quite happy for the 'soaking damage' and 'second throw of the dice' style Hero Points to be the same as ones for character score progression. Players make a decision to either burn their luck/karma/link with the force or save up good karma to make real growth.

What narks me is when the 'soaking damage' and 'second throw of the dice' style Hero Points and the 'chance to be pro-active and do cool things to the plot' style hero points come from the same pool.

I've had bad experiences of HEX, in particular, where I and others have burnt the poker chips (can't remember the HEX game term for them) adding to the story* and then been in a sorry state come the epic violent confrontation whilst fellow players who have been much more reactive have had a veritable hoard of points to spend.

Al

*Good God man I designed this demmned submersible of course it has a separate ladies room for my daughter's use' and 'I'll think you find that the Great White Hunter's travel trunk in fact only contains his fiancee's frillies because I <player of aid fiancee> say so and I instructed my maid to repack it before embarkation' being but two sillier examples which spring immediately to mind

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire