QuestWorlds SRD

Ian Cooper

And we are live

https://www.chaosium.com/questworlds-system-reference-document/

https://questworlds.chaosium.com/

Looking forward to what you all do with this.

For errors that you've found, or other feedback, the best way to raise it with Ian is probably to use GitHub - see "How to raise an issue" at https://github.com/ChaosiumInc/QuestWorlds/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I expect people will have feedback.  For example I just found a confusing sentence that I think was probably mis-edited (the second sentence of section 2.0, beginning "Stories advance by ..." - it's a run-on sentence and very confusing to me.)  There might also be typo reports, questions, and other kinds of feedback.  Could you tell us what kinds of feedback you want and where/how we should give it?

Edited by Roko Joko

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

Just wanting to check something.

The Jonstown Compendium Content Guidelines say that you can use Questworlds when making material for the compendium. The Questworlds OGL says  you cannot make Gloranthan using it.

I'm hoping that means if you make Gloranthan scenarios/content using the questworld rules you have to publish it via the Compendium and not independently, rather than changing the Jonstown Compendium so that Questworlds isn't allowed at all?

12 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

The Jonstown Compendium Content Guidelines say that you can use Questworlds when making material for the compendium. The Questworlds OGL says  you cannot make Gloranthan using it.

I'm hoping that means if you make Gloranthan scenarios/content using the questworld rules you have to publish it via the Compendium and not independently, rather than changing the Jonstown Compendium so that Questworlds isn't allowed at all?

If it works like the BRP license, then, if you want to publish anything Glorantha related you have to do it through the Jonstown Compendium, likewise if you want to do anything with the Mythos you use the Miskantonic license. What seems to be absolutely off-limits without any kind of permission is anything related to Arthurian legend. 

So, picture it like this, you have three licenses from Chaosium

Jonston <- Glorantha related stuff
Miskatonic <- Mythos related stuff
Anything else sans Arthurian legend <- Questworlds OGL

Edited by Tanaka84
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Roko Joko said:

I expect people will have feedback.  For example I just found a confusing sentence that I think was probably mis-edited (the second sentence of section 2.0, beginning "Stories advance by ..." - it's a run-on sentence and very confusing to me.)  There might also be typo reports, questions, and other kinds of feedback.  Could you tell us what kinds of feedback you want and where/how we should give it?

Two options. If you feel comfortable with that approach, raise a GitHub issue. If, not wait a day or so and I will start an errata thread.

The good news is our turn around on these will be fast, as the artifacts are generated

16 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

Yeah, it just means that you have to use the JC

• Thanks 1

So I'm reading through it now and liking what I see, but, uh... you mind toning down the bold text a bit? I get that the point is to emphasize important words, but right now so much is bolded that it really doesn't emphasize anything and just makes me desensitized to bolding.

12 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

So I'm reading through it now and liking what I see, but, uh... you mind toning down the bold text a bit? I get that the point is to emphasize important words, but right now so much is bolded that it really doesn't emphasize anything and just makes me desensitized to bolding.

Personally, I love using Capital Letters, but it drives Other People Crazy, so I don't mind Bold Text that much.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

17 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

You can change it. Download the markdown file, open it (using something that opens markdown - I use Atom), change remove the bold, output as PDF.

44 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

We wanted to clearly distinguish when we were using a word, like outcome, to refer to a game rule, or just generally. We use terms that can be confused, even in context, so we wanted to be clear as to intent. Any use of bold highlights a game term.

Edited by Ian Cooper
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Could someone please point me to a list of differences between the QuestWorlds SRD and HeroQuest 2.0? 🙂

https://questworlds.chaosium.com/game-rules-srd/9-appendix-2/9-2-version-changes/

• Thanks 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Thank you very much for this SRD.   👍

I am currently running two campaigns with HeroQuest: Glorantha and don't feel the need to convert to QuestWorld though. But I have skimmed through the document and there are already some changes I will make based on this SRD (the new Resistance Table, the new Consequences of Defeat Table). And I am now considering the expanded Chained Contests rules as an alternative to Scored Contests if my players don't bite them or if I want the action to feel grittier.

This SRD is also a very useful reference as there is a lot of clarified content.

Edited by Corvantir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corvantir said:

Thank you very much for this SRD.   👍

I am currently running two campaigns with HeroQuest: Glorantha and don't feel the need to convert to QuestWorld though. But I have skimmed through the document and there are already some changes I will make based on this SRD (the new Resistance Table, the new Consequences of Defeat Table). And I am now considering the expanded Chained Contests rules as an alternative to Scored Contests if my players don't bite them or if I want the action to feel grittier.

This SRD is also a very useful reference as there is a lot of clarified content.

If you are playing HQG today, this will hopefully clarify,  provide some tweaks to existing rules, and some options. But it's not significantly different.

• Like 1

Great thing this is out now!

About Group Simple Contest boosts @David Scott in some other thread said that the boosts can be bought after everyone has rolled.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:52 PM, Nebuchadnezzar said:

By RAW, they need to be bought before the roll (HQG, p. 70).  However, in the example of play (Samastina’s Saga: Leaving Nochet, HQG, p. 72), a boost is purchased retroactively, to turn a tie into a Marginal Victory.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:40 PM, David Scott said:

As writer of the examples, this is an error in the RAW. The example is correct. This will go into the corrections page on the new Glorantha resource site.

Now, in QW2.2 in chapter 4.5.3 it is quite clearly stated that boosts can be purchased before the contest. Is this now the final ruling about boosts?

Congratulations to Ian and the rest of the Chaosium team for getting this out :)

Its warmed the cockles of this old HQ Narrator's heart and as a publisher made my head explode with the possibilities :D

Thank you for bring back a game that I loved and meant a lot to me from the last decade and for giving it a future going forward :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain