Enchantments

allenowen

When you make an Enchantment, you cast the appropriate Enchantment spell(Binding or Spell Matrix) and sacrifice the required POW points. I roll POWx5 BEFORE I sacrifice the POW, right?

Also, if you destroy the enchanted item, do you get your POW back, or is it gone forever?

How would you go about freeing a spirit from an enchantment?

1 hour ago, allenowen said:

I roll POWx5 BEFORE I sacrifice the POW, right?

Unless your GM is extremely cruel, yes.

Also, if you destroy the enchanted item, do you get your POW back, or is it gone forever?

I can't find any information on this but I would assume it's gone forever (but of course you can regain POW a couple times per season).

If the spirit is bound to an animal, it's explicitly said the spirit is freed if the animal dies. It also says that the enchantment is destroyed if the inscribed symbols are destroyed, so damaging the object or location where the spirit is bound would do the trick, I think. Of course, you'd need to catch the spirit with a control spell, otherwise it would just escape into the Spirit World and would have to be hunted down.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

5 hours ago, allenowen said:

Suppose you don't want to kill the animal?  Then what?

I would imagine, in theory, that a shaman could discorporate and initiate spirit combat, exorcising the spirit if he reduced its magic points to zero. I'd say that if there were any conditions on the enchantment, that the shaman would have to meet them in order to be able to do this, which in some cases (e.g. "Only I can use this enchantement" followed by my subsequent demise) would indeed mean that killing the animal was the only way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, allenowen said:

Suppose you don't want to kill the animal?  Then what?

except for chalana arroy I would say, no reason to not use peaceful cut (faster, cheaper, and just the cycle of life) I say it not in irl version, but in gloranthan point of view.

Other possibilities :

- a dedicated ceremony with sucessfull worship (but not if the spirit is from a war god, it should be a shame or a curse to save a life to free the spirit)

- a divine intervention (not sure that a god will allow it, after all they like sacrifice)

- a fast talk with the spirit (after all the spirit may leave by itself )

but I m not sure there is no danger for the spirit to leave like that a bounded body. You cut a link, maybe there is danger (madness, destruction, power lose...)

9 hours ago, allenowen said:

When you make an Enchantment, you cast the appropriate Enchantment spell(Binding or Spell Matrix) and sacrifice the required POW points. I roll POWx5 BEFORE I sacrifice the POW, right?

POWx5 is always before spending the POW.

It is gone forever. When you make an enchantment you effectively give the POW away to the enchantment.

Breaking the enchantment works.

The Free Ghost Runespell explicitly frees a spirit from an enchantment, although this might be limited to spirits that were once alive.

However, the easiest way, if you have the enchantment, is to command the spirit to leave the enchantment. This works unless there is a condition on the enchantment forbidding that.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

except for chalana arroy I would say, no reason to not use peaceful cut (faster, cheaper, and just the cycle of life) I say it not in irl version, but in gloranthan point of view.

An allied spirit of Chalana Arroy might be able to leave the host in order to act as a Healing Spirit, leaving its Rune level healer between allies until re-summoned and re-bound. It might leave behind a butterfly tattoo on the individual healed that way, as the final transformation of that host.

What exactly is the relationship between Chalana Arroy and Gorakiki? Does she have an allied rune spell that allows an Arroyan to awaken a pupa when a new host for the allied spirit is required?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

32 minutes ago, Joerg said:

What exactly is the relationship between Chalana Arroy and Gorakiki? Does she have an allied rune spell that allows an Arroyan to awaken a pupa when a new host for the allied spirit is required?

That's a really complex solution. They are Chalana Arroy butterflies. I'd have them hatch as butterflies from the seeds or berries of butterfly bushes or directly from the graves of healers and ignore eggs, caterpillars and pupae. Spontaneous generation is the answer here. For me this also links to the folklore that white or yellow butterflies are the spirits of dead children or mothers who have died in childbirth. There I see a link with Voria.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

38 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

per "season"???

P418 Core Rules RuneQuest in Glorantha:

Increasing Pow with worship rituals:

...The presiding officials receive Pow gain roll, if they succeed with their worship skill.

A Worship ritual held on the High Holy Day of the cult or during sacred time, allows all participants that make a successful Worship roll to make a POW gain roll.

So for my bunch of ne'er-do-well adventurer's its twice a year it's 2 a year, cause there's no way you'd put them up as the presiding officials of a kids tea party, let alone a god worship ceremony ...

16 hours ago, Stephen L said:

P418 Core Rules RuneQuest in Glorantha:

So for my bunch of ne'er-do-well adventurer's its twice a year it's 2 a year, cause there's no way you'd put them up as the presiding officials of a kids tea party, let alone a god worship ceremony ...

Thats not the only way to get a pow gain roll. If you're work at it (befuddle, disrupt, Fear) you can wangle one per season (includes Sacred Time) so 6 times per year/once per season. Plus assitant shammys get one freebie Point ontop per year.