Potential Cheating in Online Sessions

Kyle

On 4/28/2020 at 7:34 PM, soltakss said:

If the Narrator asks for a D100 roll and I use a Dice app and get 03 I show it to the narrator. They ask again and it rolls 78 and I show it.

If all my rolls are 03 then I am cheating. If 03 then 02, then 01 I am lucky.

Of course, there is nothing to stop rerolls until you get a good role, but the Gm can ask you to stop that.

Anyway, I just trust players.

Ok. I've only participated in audio only games, which explains why I didn't think about it.

And don't worry, I also trust players, even those that insist on using their dice when an online tool is available.

I mean, back in the days I even didn't question that friend of mine who created his StormBringer character at home and rolled a Melnibonéan...

Edited by Mugen
  • Haha 1

Yeah. I don't ask players to roll their dice in front of me at the table why would I do so online? I find that some players probably bend their dice rolls now and then for MGF or whatever mice they have loose in their brain pans. If I think it's becoming excessive I will take note and stack odds more against them. Why would that differ online to face-to-face. 

I have also had amazing runs of luck with dice both good and bad as a player. 

(I've only ever once had to call out a player and that was in college and more over his very literal interpretation of the ground rules I'd set for character gen. Deliberately set a DnD game to be low powered and so it was play what you roll. My Accountant friend had rolled a LOT of characters (hundreds) and cherry picked what he wanted to play....  ) 

I can't understand cheating in RPGs. As a player and as a GM. Where's the thrill? I just can't see the interest of the seek.

Then , I agree with David Scott: trust them. You have enough to work without borrying about that.  And if you're sure you have some cheaters, the main point is keeping good atmosphere within your group. I don't think prosecuting a player - or even revealing you know he's cheating - is the good option. Maybe:

• cheat yourself against the cheater. But you'll loose pleasure yourself;
  • play with discord or roll20. But then all players should suspect something...
  • do as if he didn't cheat. After all, I think it's the good option. And you still can counterbalance by rewarding roleplay instead of dice, at least for non-combat resolutions?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Loïc said:

I can't understand cheating in RPGs. As a player and as a GM. Where's the thrill? I just can't see the interest of the seek.

In case of GMs, I think it's the feeling that you need to protect the game from unwanted random events.

A critical strike that kills a character on round 1 of a fight, whether it's a PC or an important NPC, is a missed opportunity for an interesting battle.

A PC death may be a painful experience, especially if you've been playing it for quite some times. And it means you'll have to find a way to introduce a new character for this player, and it may take some time if the group is in the middle of nowhere.

But, of course, random events can create interesting opportunities.

Edited by Mugen
  • Thanks 1