Truesword and Humakt Blessed Sword Gift

claycle

I presume that Truesword (RQG p. 347) and Humakt's Blessed Weapon (Sword) Gift (p. 296) stack.

I am assuming that successful strikes with Truesword active roll double damage (plus damage bonus), then any damage that gets past armor is doubled again.

Correct?

That's the way we have played it. 

In our Glorantha we have all of the bonuses stack. There are seperate blessings for general doubling damage past armor, doubling damage versus foe species past armor, and doubling damage against a specific location past armor.

So, if you slashed with a True Greatsword and all the blessings against your chosen species and location you would do 4d8+4d8+DB, then multiply anything that gets past armor by 8x.

In theory these gifts can be taken multiple times too.

3 hours ago, claycle said:

I presume that Truesword (RQG p. 347) and Humakt's Blessed Weapon (Sword) Gift (p. 296) stack.

I am assuming that successful strikes with Truesword active roll double damage (plus damage bonus), then any damage that gets past armor is doubled again.

Correct?

For me, yes.

Me too. Some people insist that the Humakt doubling gifts are additional rather than multiplicative, i.e. x2, x3, x4 etc. and that's fine as a house rule but I'm sure it's intended to be multiplicative.

3 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

In theory these gifts can be taken multiple times too.

Hmmmm, not so sure about that. Sure you can take the location one for multiple locations, and the species one for multiple species, but do you mean that identical choices can be stacked, so I could take "double to the head" four times to get 16x damage to the head?

I play that they stack as normal, so you can get double double.

Some people play that one thing gets double, two gets treble, three gets quadruple and so on.

The Truesword spell says:

Cast on a specified melee weapon, this spell doubles the normal damage done by the weapon. The player of the weapon-wielding adventurer should roll the weapon damage dice twice and total the results. The wielder’s damage bonus is applied but is not doubled.

The Humakti gifts say:

Bless specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated) against a given foe species
Bless a specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated)
Bless a specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated) upon striking a specific hit location

Special results say:

Impale: An impale does twice the weapon’s normal rolled damage. An impaling blow with a short spear does 2D6+2 damage points, not the normal 1D6+1. If the impaling adventurer has a damage bonus, it is rolled normally and added to the damage—the damage bonus is not doubled. Any magical addition to the damage is only added once. If the impale is also a critical hit, then the maximum possible impaling damage (14 points in the case of the short spear) is done to the victim, to which is added any damage bonus and any extra damage from spells.

Slash: The slashing weapon’s damage should be rolled normally twice and both results added together. A slash with a broadsword does 2D8+2 damage points, not the normal 1D8+1. If the slashing adventurer has a damage bonus, it is rolled normally and added to the damage. Any magical addition to the damage is only added once. If the slash is also a critical hit, then the maximum possible damage (18 points in the case of the broadsword) is done to the victim in that hit location. 

Crush:The weapon damage should be rolled normally and the regular damage bonus for SIZ+STR (if any) should also be rolled normally. The maximum damage bonus from STR+SIZ, if any, should then be added to the result. If the adventurer making the crush has no damage bonus, the effect of the crush is lost.

The Bestiary says:

All trolls have an aversion to iron, the “poison metal,” refusing to handle it and taking double damage from weapons forged of it.

Special Notes: Like their eternal enemies, the trolls, the Aldryami are vulnerable to iron, the “new metal” and cannot handle it. Any damage from an iron weapon penetrating their armor will do twice the normal damage.

So, imagine a Rune Lord fighting a Troll and using an iron sword. He would do 1D8+1+1D4, with a +1D4 damage bonus. Any damage that gets past armour is doubled.

The Rune Lord uses Truesword, so does 2D8+2=1D4, with penetrating damage doubled.

The Rune Lord does Truesword and slashes (Rolls a special success), so does 2D8+2 for the slash, plus 1D8+1 for the Truesord, as magical damage is only added once for a Truesword, + Damage Bonus, so does 3D8+3+1D4, with penetrating damage doubled.

If the sword has "Bless a specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated)", penetrating damage is doubled then doubled again (x4).

If the sword has "Bless a specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated)" and "Bless specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated) against a given foe species", penetrating damage is doubled, doubled  then doubled again (x8).

If the sword has "Bless a specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated)", "Bless specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated) against a given foe species" and "Bless a specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated) upon striking a specific hit location", penetrating damage is doubled, doubled, doubled  then doubled again (x16).

So, the Rune Lord with a blessed sword that doubles damage always, against Trolls and on a head hit would normally do x8, but as it is iron it does x16.

On a Special attack with Truesword, as above, he would do 3D8+3+1D4 with penetrating damage x16. So, hitting a Troll with 15 armour in the head, he rolls 1D8+3+1D4, getting 17, the armour subtracts 15 leaving 2 that gets through, but the 2 is multiplied by 16 to do a meaty 32 in the head.

As a critical ignores armour it is very deadly indeed.

I think I have my sums right, but I am sure that people will tell me if I don't.😀

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

18 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Hmmmm, not so sure about that. Sure you can take the location one for multiple locations, and the species one for multiple species, but do you mean that identical choices can be stacked, so I could take "double to the head" four times to get 16x damage to the head?

There's nothing in the rules to state you couldn't take any of the Gifts multiple times. I assume this is how some of the devastating Humakti Warbands like the Household of Death and whatnot became ridiculously powerful/dangerous by leveraging powerful and deadly geases to gain awful Gifts. 

There's nothing in the rules to state you couldn't take any of the Gifts multiple times. I assume this is how some of the devastating Humakti Warbands like the Household of Death and whatnot became ridiculously powerful/dangerous by leveraging powerful and deadly geases to gain awful Gifts. 

There were in previous versions and I hope there will in god & goddess of glorantha. But you're right, I didn't find this restriction in RQG

True, it doesn't say, so it can be interpreted wither way. With my munchkin hat on, I'd always take "abdomen" multiple times as it's more likely to roll on the location chart than head, but I would always refer to MOB's piece on Lottery Swords, and the example doesn't take the same gift for the same location or species twice.