MW for Fighting Fantasy’s ‘Titan’

Nikoli

Hi,

I’m curious whether anyone has used MW or BRP generally to run a game set in FF’s Titan setting? The setting would suit many of the MW monsters, the Conan-like magic, and also the unusual magic additions (e.g., mask magic) in Advanced Sorcery.

In terms of detail, there’s a small paperback for describing the world of Titan, as well as the revised FF rpg system which has the same information. (I bought much of those materials, but I couldn’t get the game system to operate. I tried it once and it quickly, for me and my players, came undone. But the world was appealing.) Here’s the paperback, which is handy - I got mine cheap on Amazon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(Fighting_Fantasy_book)

In case you don’t know, there’s also now an exhaustive Atlas of Titan drawing on all sorts of maps and information compiled from the many game books. You can find the attached file here: https://fightingfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Atlas_of_Titan

What I think MW can do is provide an elegant system that won’t have the issues I encountered with the FF rpg system. If you want that old-school fantasy feel, and a different setting, it may be worth a look. (You could also use BRP Classic Fantasy in that setting, too.)

N

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think you’re right. MW would do a pretty good job  of supporting Titan. Being simpler and faster than various editions of RQ and most spin-offs I think it would support the light heroic tone of a typical FF adventure. For those reasons I’m not sure about using Classic Fantasy instead. Are you going to develop this idea further? I’d be happy to discuss this further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I definately agree that Titan is perfect for Magic World, it would be a great fit !!!  

I've always loved that loose classic fantasy feel of Titan, great for a sandbox, and the kind of setting that Magic World is designed for,

Make sure you describe how things are portrayed in Titan. For example, the Dwarves are often eccentric spry bearded gnome-like characters; the Goblins are a cross between Tolkien Orcs and Brian Froud goblins; Port Blacksand is like a rotting Lanhkmar which feels like it could topple over and rot away, all that stuff. Magic is something unusual and often whimsical, and everything has that sense of wonder to it. The original artwork really captures all this. I recommend showing pictures of the creatures as portrayed in 'Out Of The Pit,' but using the BRP/MW stats. 

Sounds like alot of fun. Go for it!  😎

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 5/11/2020 at 12:27 AM, Coronoides said:

I think you’re right. MW would do a pretty good job  of supporting Titan. Being simpler and faster than various editions of RQ and most spin-offs I think it would support the light heroic tone of a typical FF adventure. For those reasons I’m not sure about using Classic Fantasy instead. Are you going to develop this idea further? I’d be happy to discuss this further.

Glad you like it! I think it's open to play once you have the setting material - available in the paperback book, or via the rpg books. I have both. Conversion of creatures specific to Titan - some are quite unusual - would take a little bit of work. Most of MW creatures are a fine fit, and the Big Book of Monsters provides many more, but some of the more unusual ones from Out of the Pit would be ideal. You might just read those descriptions and eyeball some quick stats. Skill in FF, which can reach 12, might be 120% or perhaps 3 attacks (9 + 3 = 12), 90, 60, 30, depending on the creature. (For example, two claw attacks and a bite.) But that would be down to the GM to do. I've not done that conversion myself. Right now I'm focused on sci-fi and am thinking of attempting a simplified starship design approach - I'll post it if I do. But I wanted to let people know about the Titan resources. Especially the atlas! But if you have any ideas, let me know! I think for the most part it provides a nice new world, reasonably detailed, for games. The Classic Fantasy I meant was the BRP version, not the Mythras version. Those old tropes, like Paladins, could fit in Titan. And the magic isn't bad, too. It's still fairly simple, but yes - MW is fine as is. Maybe add in some Cthulhu Grimoire spells.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:41 AM, Mankcam said:

I definately agree that Titan is perfect for Magic World, it would be a great fit !!!  

I've always loved that loose classic fantasy feel of Titan, great for a sandbox, and the kind of setting that Magic World is designed for,

Make sure you describe how things are portrayed in Titan. For example, the Dwarves are often eccentric spry bearded gnome-like characters; the Goblins are a cross between Tolkien Orcs and Brian Froud goblins; Port Blacksand is like a rotting Lanhkmar which feels like it could topple over and rot away, all that stuff. Magic is something unusual and often whimsical, and everything has that sense of wonder to it. The original artwork really captures all this. I recommend showing pictures of the creatures as portrayed in 'Out Of The Pit,' but using the BRP/MW stats. 

Sounds like alot of fun. Go for it!  😎

Great suggestions! And playing some of the app games, from Sorcery!, would help provide more knowledge for the GM. I second the art - the original art is fabulous and weird. The reissue FF books art is not a patch on the originals. I adore those old covers and interior art.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 8:10 AM, Nikoli said:

Did you take a look at the atlas? It's quite a piece of work! Must have taken a long time to pull all those bits and pieces together.

I heard about this, but never actully saw it before now. That's an impressive piece of work!

• Thanks 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"