Pavis Chronology

GAZZA

6 minutes ago, soltakss said:

All the events of Nomad Gods and Dragon pass are, in my opinion, post-Compromise-breaking, inside the hero Wars.

I don't share that opinion. The boardgame Nomad Gods show mortals summoning avatars/aspects of the Great Spirits of Prax to work for them, always within their existing powers and interests. That's specifically allowed by the Great Compromise. What wouldn't be possible is for those Great Spirits to do anything original by themselves. They can carry on doing what they've always done, they can be directed by their mortal worshippers*, but they can't do anything new. They can't change, grow, or develop. The Great Compromise prevents that.

* a fairly loose word when you apply it to Spirit Cults, admittedly.

• Like 4

Breaking the Compromise would mean that e.g. Thunder Bird could outsmart Raven, or Raven could fool Sun Hawk, or Sun Hawk could fight off Thunder Bird. Those things are impossible: the Nomad Gods rules say so. And that shows that the Great Spirits of Prax are eternally bound to repeat their pre-existing patterns and behaviours: bound by the Great Compromise.  

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 10:48 AM, Dissolv said:

This really hits the nail on the head for something missing in Glorantha gaming, and particularly Runequest.  It's clear that there are pathways to becoming much more than the rules will current allow.  It is also clear that pursuing these paths of power is a major tenant of (and probably reason for the terribleness of) the Hero Wars.  But there is nothing mechanically on how to actually get there.  It is 100% sorted out between the players and the Gamemaster. 

If I may plug 13th Age in Glorantha here? It takes the power level up quite a bit from RQ, while keeping lots of crunch. Around 3rd level PCs are comparable to clan champions, and by 9th level they are capable of serious feats of magic like making a Building Wall. Have been playing this for 2-3 years now and I must say it is a deep, robust supplement to Glorantha that we have not exhausted. It is full of fun Glorantha flavor, like the Zorak Zorani power of Embarrass Sun or the Trickster's Fuster Cluck (it is also the only RPG I know of with a viable trickster class). 

Also, I think sorting it out between the GM and players is part of the fun. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

If I may plug 13th Age in Glorantha here?

Certainly, it does not get enough love. 

12 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

It is full of fun Glorantha flavor, like the Zorak Zorani power of Embarrass Sun or the Trickster's Fuster Cluck (it is also the only RPG I know of with a viable trickster class). 

For sure. A lot of the wilder, and not quite as we see Glorantha canon I think can very validly be looked at as the sort of ways the world as we know it begins to break down once the Hero Wars kick off. But equally a simple but valid reminder that your Glorantha should vary, if you allow your players to be epic. 

I am ambivalent about the 13th Age trickster - I used to be quite unsure about it, but I've now GMed a Trickster and it works. But I think it is only one way to do the many and varied Tricksters, one of the most varied and diverse cults in Glorantha. Luckily 13th Age has plenty more tricks up its sleeve - you don't have to restrict yourself to the 13th Age In Glorantha classes, you can mix in the base classes and some multi-classing if you want, Rogues and Chaos Mages both can present different sides of the Trickster (a Chaos mage is clearly Disorder and Illusion not Chaos in Glorantha), even sometimes a cleric with the Trickery/Illusion domain. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

If I may plug 13th Age in Glorantha here? It takes the power level up quite a bit from RQ, while keeping lots of crunch. Around 3rd level PCs are comparable to clan champions, and by 9th level they are capable of serious feats of magic like making a Building Wall. Have been playing this for 2-3 years now and I must say it is a deep, robust supplement to Glorantha that we have not exhausted. It is full of fun Glorantha flavor, like the Zorak Zorani power of Embarrass Sun or the Trickster's Fuster Cluck (it is also the only RPG I know of with a viable trickster class). 

Eh. I have it, but I have a couple of objections to it. Firstly, it's basically a D&D Heartbreaker - I don't think the creators could even seriously dispute that - and if I want to play D&D I'll play 5e (I do, in fact, regularly - although not since I started my RQG game last month).

Secondly, it seems that all the planned supplements they were going to produce are no longer going to be produced (or at least that is the impression I got from sending emails to several people, only to get back answers like not having the license, or waiting for contributors, or whatever - I gathered that with RQG's publication 13AG is pretty much twisting in the wind). I'd love to hear I was wrong about that - even if I won't necessarily play the game, I'm always interested in supplements or adventures I can repurpose.

Neither of these are reasons not to play of course - it is just not my cup of tea, I think both HeroQuest and RQG (both with their own flaws) are more my sorts of games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GAZZA said:

Eh. I have it, but I have a couple of objections to it. Firstly, it's basically a D&D Heartbreaker - I don't think the creators could even seriously dispute that - and if I want to play D&D I'll play 5e (I do, in fact, regularly - although not since I started my RQG game last month).

... I gathered that with RQG's publication 13AG is pretty much twisting in the wind). I'd love to hear I was wrong about that - even if I won't necessarily play the game, I'm always interested in supplements or adventures I can repurpose.

Not going to dispute taste; if you prefer other systems, by all means please enjoy them. I think it would be interesting to debate whether 13A is in fact a heartbreaker or an improvement, but since I haven't played D&D since the '70s, I might be a little biased.

[tried to multiquote but failed my Comprehend Systems roll}

I also get the strong impression 13AiG is twisting in the wind, which is part of the reason I brought it up. There is so much Gloranthan goodness in the book; the rules on runes, the art, the locations by rune, the hero quest gifts, the Duck Point writeup - the list goes on and on and on. It can be mined for other systems easily. 

Likewise, Runequest adventures are easy to repurpose to 13A - building battles is one of the easiest things. And a lot of 13A material has a remarkable resonance with RQ. The battle scene supplements (the Crown Commands et al) are particularly useful for time-strapped GMs. 

OK, I'm well off topic here so will be quiet now.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Quackerjack said:

There is so much Gloranthan goodness in the book; the rules on runes, the art, the locations by rune, the hero quest gifts, the Duck Point writeup - the list goes on and on and on. It can be mined for other systems easily.

Agree - there's so much good content there!  

I regularly borrow the Rune table for random events and ideas.  I've used the Fangplace in my HQG game.  The locations by Rune is a great idea.  Even the ideas for beasts/monsters can be readily brought into RQG/HQG games.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 9:41 AM, jajagappa said:

Except that the great gods (e.g. Storm Bull, Wakboth, Eiritha, Waha) do not appear in the game.  Those who do appear are the powerful spirits, particularly those who have physical manifestations in the mortal world such as Oakfed, Wild Hunter, or Mallia.  

Waha does appear in the game. He is one of the six spirits that your tribe can receive at the Paps.