[Dragonsbane Entertainment] Announcing the Sabre RPG System

You choose a profession when you make your character and stick with it. The only "multi-class" option is the Prodigy/Magical Prodigy, which lets you take two spell systems/two technical skills. 

In earlier iterations of the system, there was the old Background/Career character build process which was far more freeform, but we found that most people had huge overlaps on skill sets. "Who has Mechanisms? (everyone puts up their hand). So What I ended up doing was going halfway between that and the Class system, so there's definitive 'lanes' of advancement and skill sets with much less overlap, without losing too much of that freeform nature. A Knight can still learn Mechanisms if they want, but that's hardly the focus of their abilities. :) 

Edited by Savant1974
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the first edition ages ago and enjoyed it. I'll need to pick up the new version and see what's changed. It's good to see a fellow Aussie working on something this ambitious!

The use of the OGL is great - it means we can pick apart the system and use the bits we like...bwahaha!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A quick update :)

Things have been a bit crazy around here lately as Melbourne goes into a heavy lockdown. Coupled with the coldest winter in my lifetime and juggling a few jobs, it's been hard to keep on with work. Having said that, I'm still getting some done on the Feydwiir Atlas when I can, and it's starting to come together. It's also a bigger project than I thought it'd be, so there's plenty to do. 

I've finished the updated maps today, with the overall style shown here:

aielund_sml.png.06667b8a061eca00068e3de902eafa3b.png

Anyway I better get back to it, stay safe everyone.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought everything off DriveThruRPG for what is a pretty silly reason. Your company name is what my D&D Campaigns group is called (I was outvoted on Care Bears). I mean I didn't just buy it because of that coincidence but that got me to click on the thread and then the system looked pretty interesting! Going to go have a look through now along with the new Cthulhu book released today.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2021 at 9:55 AM, glassneedles said:

I just bought everything off DriveThruRPG for what is a pretty silly reason. Your company name is what my D&D Campaigns group is called (I was outvoted on Care Bears). I mean I didn't just buy it because of that coincidence but that got me to click on the thread and then the system looked pretty interesting! Going to go have a look through now along with the new Cthulhu book released today.

Clearly you're a person of good taste! 😄 Hope you like what you read. I'm working on a 3rd edition of the system now that will be print-on-demand right out of the gate, plus it'll be more refined, smoother, faster etc. Ultimate edition 🤩

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that a 3rd edition of Sabre is well underway! The two main manuals (scifi and fantasy) are 95% complete, and I'm mostly building npc templates lately for our beta games. There's still some art I need to do as well, including finishing off the bestiary art (finally!) The main aim of 3e is to simplify the system, but also to allow print-on-demand versions to happen as well. I want a nice set of hardcover books to sit on my shelf! So I'm pulling out all the stops to make this a sleek and beautiful system, and it's coming along really well 🙂 Here's a sample of the fantasy style, with art that blends into the parchment background. ETA is probably March next year.

race_art.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...