Rune Ties over 100%

soltakss

My overall problem with using RuneQuest's percentiles to define Runic connections is that it's all or nothing. 1% means you have a connection, 0% means you don't. If my players want to have a Power rune over 100%, maths dictates that the opposing rune is at 0% (no negatives). However I firmly believe that Gloranthans are made-up of all the runes, so at 0% still retain a few rune particles, or 0.001% or another tiny number.

I believe 0% doesn't mean zero, you still retain some rune particles.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

My overall problem with using RuneQuest's percentiles to define Runic connections is that it's all or nothing. 1% means you have a connection, 0% means you don't. If my players want to have a Power rune over 100%, maths dictates that the opposing rune is at 0% (no negatives). However I firmly believe that Gloranthans are made-up of all the runes, so at 0% still retain a few rune particles, or 0.001% or another tiny number.

I agree, I don't see a problem with capping the opposed rune at 1% while you take your main rune over 100%. It's just a game mechanic, there's no reason to read more into it than that in terms of "Gloranthan reality".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

for me it isn't a math issue, it is a design choice

So if you are too strong in one rune, you cannot use the opposite one.

IRL a male has X chromosome (your particle) but is not "touched" by the X chromosome (the rune score) ==> he cannot bear a child (well until scientists give utuma to this natural law)

In all case, i see no npc in bestiary with more than 100%. If a thunderbrother is 100% storm, how a mortal can be more ?

And remember with 80% the rune starts to drive the character (GM may decide and make action for the pc in a different way than the player wants), at 100% the character should be retired of what I consider a standard rqg party. Of course, if your party is a gods party, that could be different but is it still cover by rqg rules ?

23 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

An humakti would like to become more and more Death but an humakti is not Humakt.

True enough, but at least one purpose of Hero Questing (as I understand it) is to become more like your god. And Humakt is the god of severing, amongst other things; if there's one cult that I think might be able to sever the connection to the Fertility Rune (or the Air Rune or Movement Runes) it would be Humakt, since he canonically broke his ties to the Storm Tribe (at least in the most popular version of the Monomyth; I have heard there's a variant Humath who instead swore allegiance to Orlanth instead).

5 minutes ago, GAZZA said:

True enough, but at least one purpose of Hero Questing (as I understand it) is to become more like your god. And Humakt is the god of severing, amongst other things; if there's one cult that I think might be able to sever the connection to the Fertility Rune (or the Air Rune or Movement Runes) it would be Humakt, since he canonically broke his ties to the Storm Tribe (at least in the most popular version of the Monomyth; I have heard there's a variant Humath who instead swore allegiance to Orlanth instead).

absolutly

then once he obtains 100% he is severed from fertility rune (0) but also he has no more free will he is now death (as I understand rune impact) he is now humakt himself (or an avatar or  ...) .So he is a gm character, no more a pc (in my game at least)

1 minute ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

absolutly

then once he obtains 100% he is severed from fertility rune (0) but also he has no more free will he is now death (as I understand rune impact) he is now humakt himself (or an avatar or  ...) .So he is a gm character, no more a pc (in my game at least)

Even if he's illuminated? I mean, isn't this more or less what Yanafal Tarnils did - copy Humakt all the way to the point where he was essentially identical, and then cheat?

1 minute ago, GAZZA said:

Even if he's illuminated? I mean, isn't this more or less what Yanafal Tarnils did - copy Humakt all the way to the point where he was essentially identical, and then cheat?

i will wait for illumination rules in rqg before answering 😛

runes impact on character are new . I don't know how to manage it as illuminated. In fact I don't know how to manage illumination in rqg (aka rules, passion, dices roll ...) .

but from my perspective if all characters are illuminated, all characters have rune a 100%, etc..  it is in another glorantha  than mine (I can understand that some people will play with fun in it, but these kind of characters needs scenarii very different than published)

On 5/4/2020 at 5:35 AM, David Scott said:

My overall problem with using RuneQuest's percentiles to define Runic connections is that it's all or nothing. 1% means you have a connection, 0% means you don't.

Some people around here mentioned that the farthest you can go is supposed to be 99%/1%, so you could do that instead. Maybe achieving 100%/0% requires the character to exit the Mundane World and move permanently in the God Plane where purity is possible, but then maybe it means you effectively take the place of an existing God as the new owner of that Rune... that would indeed make for some cool high-powered campaign goal.

Another way is to say that, just like other percentile rolls, a 01-05 is always a success anyway, so mechanically you never go below 5%, which represent the minimum "bits" of all the Runes that make up you.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:20 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

then once he obtains 100% he is severed from fertility rune (0)

Only temporarily. It's still possible to go down again with a fumbled roll, or whenever the GM and players agree that a character's actions went against that Rune, but instead of rolling, they prefer to let her do that action and automatically lose points in that Rune.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

Another way is to say that, just like other percentile rolls, a 01-05 is always a success anyway, so mechanically you never go below 5%, which represent the minimum "bits" of all the Runes that make up you.

So, we're all 5% Chaos?

3 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

So, we're all 5% Chaos?

Ignoring the RQ mechanics here, just like on earth, I believe that physical Gloranthans have a tiny amount of all the runes. On earth we have likely at least an atom of all the stable elements (including Uranium, sadly now Plutonium is likely). I think there's a particle of chaos in everyone.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

8 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

So, we're all 5% Chaos?

No, but it means that if you ever wanted to get inspired by Chaos, you would have a 5% chance of "finding" that 0.1% of Chaos that makes up you and everything around you.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !