Dreamlands

smiorgan

• 4 weeks later...

"Another couple of titles I need to mention are Gaslight and Dreamlands for Call of Cthulhu 7th edition. Both of those settings are getting the full color treatment and should also be going into final manuscript form soon. Each of those would also feature a boxed Starter set as your entry point into those realms of the Mythos."

Rick Meints on Grognardia 

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2021/07/interview-rick-meints-part-ii.html?m=1

😍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

"Another couple of titles I need to mention are Gaslight and Dreamlands for Call of Cthulhu 7th edition. Both of those settings are getting the full color treatment and should also be going into final manuscript form soon. Each of those would also feature a boxed Starter set as your entry point into those realms of the Mythos."

😍

I keep throwing money at my laptop open to the Chaosium website but it hasn't worked yet...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, smiorgan said:

😍

I have yet to read the blog post, but you’ve already given the best news.

15 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Each of those would also feature a boxed Starter set as your entry point into those realms of the Mythos.

Fascinating! I'm relatively new to the hobby, but in what I've been able to study its history, I can't recall dual starter / sourcebook box sets being made that way. I thought the Runequest Sartar Set was going to be just a Starter Set, for example. Sounds like a smart move, since this way veteran players with the rulebooks will still be interested in these products. I guess my doubt then would be if that means hardbacks aren't going to to be made for those products, and if they are, how much crossover could they potentially have. Excited either way!

2 hours ago, AlonsoAguilurk said:

Fascinating! I'm relatively new to the hobby, but in what I've been able to study its history, I can't recall dual starter / sourcebook box sets being made that way. I thought the Runequest Sartar Set was going to be just a Starter Set, for example. 

It's fascinating but I think can imagine how it could work. Boxed sets will feature all the basic rules and offer a parallel entry point into the game. People interested in emulating Randolph Carter could just pick up the Dreamlands starter set before buying fully into the Cthulhu rpg. After all, Dreamlands are quite a separate thing also in HPL in tone and content. Veteran players would still pick up the starter box to get a beautiful Dreamlands map, more scenarios and more dice (you always need more dice). If I have understood correctly the main Dreamlands book will expand not only with more scenarios, more critters etc. but also by exploring different tones and different ways of incorporating the Dreamlands and dream themese into a regular Cthulhu game. So I guess one could imagine a buying trajectory like that: Dreamlands Starter -> Dreamlands Book -> Cthulhu Corebook. But that's pure guesswork.

For Gaslight. I imagine the starter set will be focused on Sherlock Holmes against the Mythos, which was a theme in the very first edition of Gaslight. And it will feature a beautiful map of London. Again, I know nothing: that's pure speculation.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...