Bolstering my Golden Goblin Press collection

klecser

I have done at best a deep skim of this book but it looks awesome. Not unexpected when Oscar RIos, Jeff Moeller and Lisa Padol are involved.

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

As you appear to be a fan of Golden Goblin Press, I was wondering if you had a copy of their 7th Edition Cthulhu Invictus sourcebook. I studied Roman history in college so the Invictus setting has always intrigued me so I’ve been planning to get a copy of that book. Unfortunately, I never got a copy of Chaosium’s original version, but I’ve heard good things about GGP’s quality.
I joined their Kickstarter for Britannia & Beyond and so I’d say I’m already pretty much sold on getting a copy of Cthulhu Invictus added on to my pledge, but I’d appreciate any insight.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, davewire said:

As you appear to be a fan of Golden Goblin Press, I was wondering if you had a copy of their 7th Edition Cthulhu Invictus sourcebook. I studied Roman history in college so the Invictus setting has always intrigued me so I’ve been planning to get a copy of that book. Unfortunately, I never got a copy of Chaosium’s original version, but I’ve heard good things about GGP’s quality.
I joined their Kickstarter for Britannia & Beyond and so I’d say I’m already pretty much sold on getting a copy of Cthulhu Invictus added on to my pledge, but I’d appreciate any insight.

You'll have to wait until Britannia & Beyond completes for an overview of that. I pledged extra in advance on that KS to bank funds for the main CI 7th guide. It's one of the few I don't have in my collection and the plan is to get it as an add-on. Maybe ask @Bud's RPG review if he has a copy and is interested in showing off an overview. Bud has a lot of plans on his plate right now, so it may not be feasible and I'm not intending to "volunteer him" for something that he doesn't want to do!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, klecser said:

You'll have to wait until Britannia & Beyond completes for an overview of that. I pledged extra in advance on that KS to bank funds for the main CI 7th guide. It's one of the few I don't have in my collection and the plan is to get it as an add-on. Maybe ask @Bud's RPG review if he has a copy and is interested in showing off an overview. Bud has a lot of plans on his plate right now, so it may not be feasible and I'm not intending to "volunteer him" for something that he doesn't want to do!

I actually don't have a copy of GGP's Cthulhu Invictus, but I do have the original monograph and the 5th(?) edition version - neither of which I have ever read.  As @klecsersaid, I do have a lot on my plate at the moment, but it could be a nice one to do as it's fairly short and not one I had thought of doing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bud's RPG review said:

I actually don't have a copy of GGP's Cthulhu Invictus, but I do have the original monograph and the 5th(?) edition version - neither of which I have ever read.  As @klecsersaid, I do have a lot on my plate at the moment, but it could be a nice one to do as it's fairly short and not one I had thought of doing.

Bud do you have a patron account or a way of accepting donations? Love your stuff!

Edited by rsanford

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

On 5/10/2020 at 4:26 AM, davewire said:

Not replying to you, but adding to this question, is it better than the first Cthulhu Invictus book...which was mostly Roman History info already well described in many other rpgs/textbooks/websites and very boring interpretations of the mythos and roman myth? 

Compare it to something like Harlem Rebound where there is a lot of purely historical material, but there's also a ton of interesting details that flesh the setting out, along with a lot of plot hooks that give you easy ways to use the locations and people mentioned...not to mention it's an actual setting, whereas Invitcus 1st edition shot itself in the foot by trying to describe the entirety of the empire without any interesting vision or general ideas for what the game should be about.

So...I really hope Golden Goblin fixed that considering their main skills are in scenarios and not settings from the things I've read from them.

(This review is basically my entire opinion on Cthulhu Invticus but better written: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/16/16003.phtml)