Hardcover
UK box set w alternate art
UK rulebook w alternate art
Rq2 full color old logo
Rq2 full color new logo
Rq2 monochrome red cover rulebook
Rq2 monochrome brown cover rulebook
Rq2 monochrome green cover rulebook
Rq2 thick box set - what color of the rulebook are in these boxes?
Rq2 thin box set - what color of the rulebook are in these boxes?

Was there ever printed a green/brown/red color rulebook with old logo?
Was there ever printed an orange or other color rulebook?

Apple Lane RQ1 yellow cover uses the NPC name duckjohn, has ad for rq1 on the inside back cover
Apple Lane RQ2 yellow cover changes the NPC name to quackjohn, has extra villager stats
Apple lane RQ2 yellow cover UK games workshop
Apple Lane RQ2 white cover used in boxed sets

Is there some other rq1-2 version I missed?

Games workshop also printed griffin mountain and cults of prax, with their own logo , are there other RQ2 supplements printed in the UK by games workshop?

Edited by Rick Meints

The RQ1 rulebook was just a single printing, stapled with original Wyrm logo (1978).

The RQ2 Rulebook was indivdually sold in the following formats:

• Color cover, stapled with original Wyrm logo (1979).
  • Color cover, perfect bound in both original Wyrm logo (1980) and Chaosium Dragon logo (1981).
  • Color cover dust jacket for leatherette binding (Reston Publishing) with original Warm logo (1981).
  • Games Workshop perfect bound version with GW logos and alternative cover.

The RQ2 Boxed set was sold in the following formats, starting in October of 1980:

• 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1980), perfect bound rulebook with brown monochrome cover. Errata on separate sheet of paper. Box has "Everything needed to play! A $26 value" logo. Box does NOT have "4001-X" product number on it. Has Fall - Winter 1980 product catalog included.
  • 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1981), perfect bound rulebook with green monochrome cover. Errata on separate sheet of paper.  Box has "Everything needed to play! A $26 value" logo. Box has "4001-X" product number on it.
  • 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1982), perfect bound rulebook with red monochrome cover. Errata on inside front and back cover. Box logo only says "Everything needed to play!". Box has "4001-X" product number on it.
  • 1" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1983), perfect bound rulebook with color cover with Chaosium Dragon logo. Errata on inside front and back cover. Box logo removed. Box has "4001-X" product number on it.
  • 2" Box Games Workshop version with GW logos and alternative cover with perfect bound rulebook.

NOTE: I also have in my collection a 1" boxed set that has the red monochrome cover perfect bound rulebook in it. I imagine that this was just an early one collated with old stock they wanted to use up.

Games Workshop also published the following RQ2 supplements, with their "star" logo or "rolling D6" logo:

• Apple Lane
  • Griffin Mountain
  • Cults of Prax (Prax Map cover)
  • Snakepipe Hollow
  • Soloquest
  • Scorpion Hall
  • Snow King's Bride
Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 11:31 PM, ralzakark said:

Rq2 thick box set - what color of the rulebook are in these boxes?
Rq2 thin box set - what color of the rulebook are in these boxes?

Was there ever printed a green/brown/red color rulebook with old logo?
Was there ever printed an orange or other color rulebook?

Answers:

Brown, green, or red.

Full color.

No.

No.

My notes match with Rick's 99%. I have a different order for the color variations in the 2" boxes (brown, green, red), but I don't have them in front of me to verify.

44/420

13 hours ago, TheHistorian said:

My notes match with Rick's 99%. I have a different order for the color variations in the 2" boxes (brown, green, red), but I don't have them in front of me to verify.

Looking more closely at all 4 boxed sets that I have, I seem to notice a development pattern, plus each set has product catalog info that helps date it.

Brown and Green cover rulebooks do not have the errata printed on the inside front and back covers.  These have the errata included as a separate sheet of paper. The Red cover and full color cover rulebook have the errata printed on the inside front and back covers. Thus, I have revised my earlier post on the printing sequence.

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2020 at 8:54 PM, Rick Meints said:

The RQ1 rulebook was just a single printing, stapled with original Wyrm logo (1978).

• Color cover, perfect bound in both original Wyrm logo (1980) and Chaosium Dragon logo (1981).
  • Color cover dust jacket for leatherette binding (Reston Publishing) with original Warm logo (1981).

The RQ2 Boxed set was sold in the following formats, starting in October of 1980:

• 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1980), perfect bound rulebook with brown monochrome cover. Errata on separate sheet of paper. Box has "$26 value" logo. Box does NOT have "4001-X" product number on it. Has Fall - Winter 1980 product catalog included.
  • 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1981), perfect bound rulebook with green monochrome cover. Errata on separate sheet of paper.  Box has "$26 value" logo. Box has "4001-X" product number on it.
  • 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1982), perfect bound rulebook with red monochrome cover. Errata on inside front and back cover. Box logo only says "Everything needed to play!". Box has "4001-X" product number on it.
  • 1" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1983), perfect bound rulebook with color cover with Chaosium Dragon logo. Errata on inside front and back cover. Box logo removed. Box has "4001-X" product number on it.
  • 2" Box Games Workshop version with GW logos and alternative cover with perfect bound rulebook.

Games Workshop also published the following RQ2 supplements, with their "star" logo or "rolling D6" logo:

• Apple Lane
  • Griffin Mountain
  • Snakepipe Hollow
  • Soloquest
  • Scorpion Hall
  • Snow King's Bride

• 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1980), perfect bound rulebook with brown monochrome cover. Errata on separate sheet of paper. Box has "$26 value" logo. Box does NOT have "4001-X" product number on it. Has Fall - Winter 1980 product catalog included.
  • 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1981), perfect bound rulebook with green monochrome cover. Errata on separate sheet of paper.  Box has "$26 value" logo. Box has "4001-X" product number on it.

the two first says "Everything needed to play! $26 value" as opposed to just saying "$26 value"?

On 5/6/2020 at 8:54 PM, Rick Meints said:

• Apple Lane
  • Griffin Mountain
  • Snakepipe Hollow
  • Soloquest
  • Scorpion Hall
  • Snow King's Bride

any image of games workshops

• Snakepipe Hollow
  • Soloquest
  • Scorpion Hall
  • Snow King's Bride

my rl friend had the 2" box with red monochrome and fall 1982 catalog but the box also says  "Everything needed to play! $26 value" ie like the brown and green monochrome boxes. rare?

Edited by john hoel

On 12/31/2022 at 11:33 PM, john hoel said:

any image of games workshops

• Snakepipe Hollow
  • Soloquest
  • Scorpion Hall
  • Snow King's Bride

my rl friend had the 2" box with red monochrome and fall 1982 catalog but the box also says  "Everything needed to play! $26 value" ie like the brown and green monochrome boxes. rare?

The cover images of most of those products can be found on page 120 in the MIG3. The Snakepipe Hollow cover is on page 12.

A 2" boxed set with the "Everything needed to play! $26 value" logo box with the red mono rulebook inside it is not rare in the sense of being more valuable. 

Hope that Helps,

On 12/31/2022 at 10:08 PM, john hoel said:

the two first says "Everything needed to play! $26 value" as opposed to just saying "$26 value"?

I was being lazy when I typed "$26 value". No such box says just that. The first two state "Everything needed to play! A $26 value".

Hope that Helps,

On 5/6/2020 at 7:27 AM, Malc said:

Games Workshop also printed the three SoloQuest books. As far as I can tell, they’re identical to the Chaosium printings, but with a GW logo on the back, opposite the Chaosium logo.

The first SoloQuest book reprinted by GW was a slightly edited version that closed some plot problems via changing some of the "go to X" numbers.

• Helpful 1

Hope that Helps,