Question about fantasy grounds

Rathesk

On 5/9/2020 at 7:49 AM, Valyar said:

It also provides good level of automation and combat/chase management via the combat tracker. Attacks, calculations of extreme success and max damage are handed very well.

In my opinion this is THE reason to get it. None of the other VTTs come close.

As someone who has played using Fantasy Grounds and Roll20, I'd go with Roll20. Roll20 is cheaper (unless you want to buy pre-prepared content) and more user friendly for technically challenged players (it runs in a browser), and has a more active pool of potential players to recruit from if you need more players. If I were going to work through the hassle of configuring port forwarding (which you will have to do with FG), I'd use MapTools for free, which also happens to be the only VTT that actually helps you create your own maps.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 11:38 AM, Ezra said:

As someone who has played using Fantasy Grounds and Roll20, I'd go with Roll20. Roll20 is cheaper (unless you want to buy pre-prepared content) and more user friendly for technically challenged players (it runs in a browser), and has a more active pool of potential players to recruit from if you need more players. If I were going to work through the hassle of configuring port forwarding (which you will have to do with FG), I'd use MapTools for free, which also happens to be the only VTT that actually helps you create your own maps.

You no longer have to configure port forwarding for Fantasy Grounds as they have a game browser you can use now. The GM sets a password and only tells their players and you're good to go. Then it remembers which games you connected to and you don't have to search again. It's pretty slick and works great even for those who aren't comfortable with technology.

On 6/1/2021 at 12:45 PM, NotRussellCrowe said:

You no longer have to configure port forwarding for Fantasy Grounds as they have a game browser you can use now. The GM sets a password and only tells their players and you're good to go. Then it remembers which games you connected to and you don't have to search again. It's pretty slick and works great even for those who aren't comfortable with technology.

That must be new. I'd consider it again, then. Roll20's larger community might still tip the scales in its favor for me, but not having to fuss with tech puts FG back in the running.

Incidentally, I still recommend a healthy acquaintance with MapTools for anyone who runs VTT games with miniatures since it allows you to easily create custom maps and export them--something both FG and Roll20 discourage. You can somewhat do it in Roll20, but they make it as non-user friendly as possible.

Edited by Ezra