What is it like to GM a BRP game?

samwise7

I mainly end up running games for other people (though I prefer to play).

It seems to me that GMing a BRP game will be a very pleasant experience.

If you are a GM, would you care to let me know how the game works for you?

Thanks.

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients

http://samwise7.yolasite.com (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, Etc.)

The only challenge I find is that you have to keep some tabs on what the PC's can and can't do(their skills), and plan adventures around them. Not really different from other games, but it's somewhat easier to relate to a party of D&D characters than a band of jackofalltrades.

Gameplay flows smooth -players tend to take to their character's strong suits very quickly, combat is fast and brutal(my players spend more time avoiding fights, or if unavoidable, stacking up dirty tricks).

The one kink is that a failed SAN or skill(dodge!!)-roll can quickly take a character out. Don't roll'em dice unless you need to. Some combats I've run have concisted primarily of roleplay and underhanded tactics, and only a couple of rolls.

How does it work for me...?

I tend to play with a lot of options thrown in because I like the crunch that they offer, so we use Strike Ranks and Encumbrance/Fatigue and Hit Locations. I really enjoy these rules and I think they add a lot - especially hit locations - they allow you to describe battles in much more detail, so we have a lot of fun in combat. But they also require knowing the system a little better. I'd advise working your way up to them (except hit locations - I'm sure everyone here agrees you gotta have those:p).

We found that our original skill list had a few too many skills that people almost never used, so we simplified the skill list a little. A lot of people have done this, I gather.

I find the characteristics are a little more meaningful - especially with the combat options. My players are always looking to use convenient safe locations in the campaign to train up one characteristic or another, specifically so they can wear heavier armour, do more damage in combat, increase their spellcasting chance, etc. In systems where you add a characteristic bonus to a skill, I don't see this as much.

One thing you'll probably start to notice about BRP is that people will start to get excited about using skills. This is partly due to the experience system, but also partly due to the fact that one glance at their character sheet will tell them exactly what their chances are. We find in our game that people usually want to sneak a lot, but their chances are low. When I ask a player "are you trying to be stealthy while doing that?" they usually respond with "well, I'm TRYING, but...". Then, when they do hit that sneak roll, they're usually woo-hooing and high-fiving and pounding their fist on the table, then they grab that pencil and make the check in the box extra dark just from sheer satisfaction. I love those moments. Another aspect of this is they will try to do things in different ways so they can excercise those low skills. They might try jumping instead of climbing - that sort of thing. This can be quite fun, too, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. But the backside is that people will go 'check hunting' - looking for spurious reasons to use skills just to get the check. Watch out for this behaviour and don't let it get out of hand. Just remember that skills can only checked if successfully used in stressful situations, and don't be afraid to veto a check.

Players are a lot more cautious in combat, too. When we first started our campaign (my players were D&D players before) they jumped into all kinds of situations. Now they are very cautious. They don't treat any encounter as another same-old thing. They pretty much dread a repeat encounter of almost anything I've thrown at them so far, and I love that about the game. Now if only I could cure them of their desire to burn things...

"PL: When we get out of this cursed watery temple, I'm gonna burn it to the ground"

"GM: It's made of stone and has earth floors, and it's dedicated to the Mud Mistress..."

"PL (incredulous): You mean there's NOTHING to burn here?"

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward I think - not so different from GMing other systems. As a GM, I think you get out of it what you put into it.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Thanks for all the suggestions, and things to watch out for. I bought 3 books of BRP (GM copy, and 2 to pass around to the players). I'll have to read through the optional rules and see what works for me.

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients

It's like many rpgs. However it is a game where as a ref you can rely on the players to just play from their character sheets rather than you or they checking the rules too much.

As has been said, players can get very into using their skills, which can be a double edged sword sometimes.

BRP has plenty for those that like to 'game', and yet is also quite able to vanish into the background for those that like to 'play'..

Be careful of the deadliness factor. Low hitpoints (compared to many systems), critical hits, armour bypass and the rather all or nothing nature of armour means that PCs are vulnerable to a lucky crit from a NPC.

Be careful of the deadliness factor. Low hitpoints (compared to many systems), critical hits, armour bypass and the rather all or nothing nature of armour means that PCs are vulnerable to a lucky crit from a NPC.

But then again, don't let the deadliness factor stop yah if you want to run action packed games. All the options are there to give the players a little edge over the adversaries without going to the same extreme as most level based systems. Use the "Total Hit Points" option and/or "Fate Points" and as long as your players know the system they can survive just about anything.

I'm in two combat heavy BRP games right now, one I run and one I play in. The one I play in is my brothers conversion of Fallout. Submachine guns, high powered sniper rifles, grenades, and rocket launchers. Every combat see us on the recieving end of some high damage weapons. Don't waste fate points to make your characters failed attack roll a success, instead save those fate points to make that rocket that would have hit your character a miss instead.

You just have to keep in mind that you can do this a couple times at most and it's not a sure thing. Which I like way better that having 185 hit points.

Really look over the options in the BRP book, there are enough there to run just about any kind of game that interest you and your group.

Rodney Leary

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I run it fast, loose, and furious; Dex Ranks, no Hit Locations, the Major Wounds option, Fate Points, Minion rules and really high PC skill levels. The only time I might reference the rules is if neither I nor the players know what some magical effect does.

For the most part, it's a pleasure to run. The rules really stay out of the way of the story.

70/420

It is probably the best and easiest system I have used in 30 years, I still play the Old Chaosium GAmes, the only thing people need to remember is the lower hit points. The system is intuitive, and a dream to use, add onto, easy for players to understand, and no crazy wargaming rules, I use ranks and other things based on game and need

I really think this game will be my "one game" for the various games I will run in the future. I'm really excited to get my hands on the rules. Where is that UPS guy when you need him? hehe.

Thanks for the opinions.

Hope UPS got there.

I'd have to agree with rpgstarwizard. It's so easy to use, and so intuitive, it really allows both the GM and the players to concentrate on some good roll playing without wondering which dice they have to roll, and which table they need to consult. Just two d10's and your character sheet...

Tom Lynch

President & Managing Editor

Miskatonic River Press

Is there an Optional Rules Checklist in PDF format, or another format that I can download and print?

I looked around in the Download section and I didn't see one.

I have not had a chance to run a game yet with it. I belong to a once a month gaming club in Pittsburgh Pa (Gaming Association of Southwestern Pennsylvania), and I plan on running a game there when I get familiar with the rules.

I love that the game has plenty of optional rules so that GMs can pick and choose what they want to fit their gaming style, and to fit the campaign setting they wish to run amuck in. :)

I guess right now I'm trying to get enough of a handle on the rules to decide which optional rules I like, and which ones I don't like as much.

I'm also trying to figure out how to best make some fantasy races that are as balanced as I can make them.

So I'm in game prep mode, but I'm not sure when I will actually start running the game.

In the past I've never liked universal systems, but BRP has changed that for me with all of the various sections on using it with different genres of settings.

I'll have to get used to the ways difficulties are resolved with a roll under mechanic (as I've never ran a game that used that) but I'm sure it will work out alright.

BRP looks like my game of choice from this point on for running games.

So yeah, I like it. :)

So here are the rules I think I am going to go with, though I may change them later:

Game Options Used

Power Level: [X] Heroic

Character Creation Options

[X] Choosing Characteristic Values (page 16)

[X] Higher Starting Characteristics (page 16)

[X] Cultural Modifiers (page 38) Make very similar to H.A.R.P. cultures [100% total in skill bonuses, +20% maximum to one skill].

[X] Non-Human Characters (page 335) Race won't affect Stats, but it will affect Hit Points & Power. I have to come up with Race information still.

[X] Total Hit Points (page 30) + Race (Tim’s Houserule)

[X] Distinctive Features (pages 34-35)

[X] Freeform Professions (page 41)

[X] Power Points Affected By Race (Tim's Houserule)

Skills

[X] Acting Without Skill (page 49)

[X] Literacy (page 67)

[X] Skill Category Bonuses (pages 20, 31, 48)

System and Combat

[X] Eliminating Statement of Intent (page 188)

[X] Initiative Rolls (page 188)

[X] Dying Blows (page 199)

[X] Power Use In The Action Phase (page 189)

Powers: [X] Characters can access multiple powers.

[X] Magic

[X] Mutations

[X] Psychic Ability

[X] Sorcery

Miscellaneous

[X] Allegiance (page 315)

Edited by samwise7