Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Hello,

I'm an old school gamer who's been playing rpgs for 24 years. Started with d&d and t&t, and have played most games I could get my hands on at least once.

My first experience with BRP was Stormbringer, then CoC, then RQ3, Nephilim, Elric! and recently MRQ. I played the heck out of Stormbringer back in high school, and my brother has always been a huge fan of CoC. I never really got into RQ... while I like its divergence from the standard fantasy tropes, I guess that most of my players and myself never really got into Glorantha. I have always been impressed by the sheer detail of the setting, but some elements of the mechanics never really did it for me (hit locations!).

Anyway, I'm eager to see BRP 1 when it comes out in May (I hope) and I hope that it makes it over the pond to the UK!

Hello,

I've been browsing for a bit and have gotten interested in the upcoming BRP release. I have purchased alot of BRP related chaosium stuff over the years. Elfquest was one of the first games I cut my teeth on when the 2nd ed came out. That game, Dr. Who (fasa), and dnd were my early staples. The forum looks friendly and well-informed. I look forward to taking part.

Darkthorn

Hello all,

My name is Alban de Rostolan and I was born in July 1975.

I had my first experience with Roleplaying games at 9, but really became a roleplayer 2 years later.

The first roleplaying game I read is the "Moldvay" basic D&D box, but I quickly switched to AD&D (1st edition).

At 12 I discovered StormBringer, and my world changed. I had no idea before that a game without classes and levels or with a logical and "realistic" experience system could exist.

My second shock was with RuneQuest 3, which not only more complex than StormBringer, but also much more consistant.

I played a lot of RuneQuest (in Glorantha or not), StormBringer, Call of Cthulhu, Hawkmoon, and read ElfQuest and Nephilim (1st and 2nd french editions). I was also in the playtest group of MRQ.

Nowadays, I tend to use my homebrew version of BRP rather than any published versions. It is a mix of every rules I liked in the BRP games I read (basic skill %iles are drawn from Nephilim 2, preliminary experiend is from MRQ, combat is a mix of RQ3, MRQ and Elric!, etc.)

Mugen

Hi there, Mugen!

Sounds like you're as hooked on BRP as the rest of us. I think most people here have their own "homebrew version" they stick to.

It's a sign (to me at any rate) that the system is flexible and provides genuine utility for gamers. Just look at all the niches it has mutated into.

Thanks for joining - looking forward to hearing more from you.

-pax-

Emerging from my Dark Age...

Hi all,

I too am an "Old school" gamer who has been playing since 1980. My main system is GURPS (3rd edition) but I'm also a big fan of Call of Cthulhu. I'm a store owner and an amateur gunsmith who lives with my wife, 2 dogs and a cat in the great state of Montana.

My other interests include, medieval reenactment, hunting and firearms collecting.

I'm a librarian, husband, father of four and an Old School Gamer who grew up on Holmes D&D (1978), AD&D and GURPS. I recently began trying to teach my youngest (11-years old) RPG's and wasted on ton of $bucks$ on 3.5 trash and Mongoose RuneQuest was just an additional waste of money (I even bought the Screen thinking that might help, it didn't).

I even picked up an entire series of scenarios that use the Genre Diversion i and have found them inspirational, but not quite what I remembered gaming to be like. I must say that the Independent Published Mythic Game Master's Emulator is something that I'll keep handy for any system I use (probably the best logical approach to random events/diversions that I've ever seen).

I started collecting Original Dungeon and Dragons materials (PDF's from RPGNow) and have since started to "re-create" gaming experiences for my son like we had. Metamorphosis Alpha, Arduin Grimoires, the Fantasy Trip, Empire of the Petal Throne, Traveller and of course OD&D. It's been great, but then I picked up Call of Cthulhu and Elric! and have started to begin getting ready to create an Apocalyptic World for him using the BRP that I'm gleaning from CoC and Elric!.

Anyway, I'm just lurking now, but have since bought the Basic Role-Playing Booklet and am using it along with CoC, Elric!, Stormbringer and some of the downloads archived here and must say that I never really realized how excellent a system the BRP System is. I will probably buy the BRP when it comes out in May, but hope they don't change too much (like MRQ did) as the system really works great as it is.

Just a quick question though. Will Chaosium be releasing a SRD or OGL for BRP? It'd sure be nice to not have to worry about putting up a web page with materials that they'd frown own.

Todd

~ ~ ~ Wóþbora ~ ~ ~

Ne mæg mīn līchama wiþ dēaþ gedǣlan

Hello and Welcome, Wothbora !

The Mythic Game Master's Emulator you mentioned seems interesting. I have

never heard of it, perhaps you could give me a few more informations ?

Thank You !

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Sure...

There are actually 3 Mythic Products. The first I bought was Mythic Role Playing (which includes a complete RPG System [sort of FUDGE-like, but doable -- it was okay, but I could see the underlying Random Events System and knew it was something I could use). Later Mythic Variations came out (it taught one how to create variations of Randomness for different Genre's) I bought it and have found it somewhat useful. Later I bought the Mythic Game Master Emulator (it's a stripped down version of the first Mythic product).

The nice thing about Mythic Game Master Emulator is that is written so that one can use whatever rpg system they'd like for mechanics and use the Emulator for progressing the storyline.

Here is a link to the Yahoo Group. Amazingly the Mythic GM Screen located in the downloads section contains the meat of the system. It looks simplistic, but once you've read the book it makes a lot of sense.

Mythic_Role_Playing : Mythic: Role Playing Fan Club

A lot of people claim to use the Emulator without a GM. I haven't tried solo with it, but I do think it'd be possible if one were honest, :) Also, the Yahoo Site has several software tools in the download area that simplify an already simple process.

Also, here is a link to the RPGNow site that has user reviews.

RPGNow.com - Word Mill - Mythic Game Master Emulator

Anyway, I use it as an inspirational tool when planning adventures for my son. For $6.95 (US) and printing it on my printer it's been one of the best purchases I've made for the price.

Oh yeah... It's a d100 process for the mechanics in the books...

~ ~ ~ Wóþbora ~ ~ ~

Ne mæg mīn līchama wiþ dēaþ gedǣlan

Just a quick question though. Will Chaosium be releasing a SRD or OGL for BRP? It'd sure be nice to not have to worry about putting up a web page with materials that they'd frown own.

Welcome wothbora! Chaosium will not be releasing a SRD or OGL, but do not have the habit of frown on fansites (as long as you don't post scans from the books). Do you have a we page in the planning?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Hello everyone. Really great forum here, I look forward to joining in. I've been role playing for about 5 years now and have been GMing various online rpgs for most of that time. I ran across the BRP system just recently, looking for a nice, relaxed game system to switch to. Man, I love this stuff. So much easier to manage in an online game than the D&D and homebrew games I've been around. Can't wait to buy the book in May! :thumb:

BL

OK, I guess I better introduce myself.

My name is Ian and I was involved in the BRP playtest from the get go.

I started playing RPGs back in 1978/9 with D&D (Blue Box) quickly followed

by AD&D1E. I have played D&D, AD&D1E and AD&D 2E on and off up until

1996 or so. I also dabbled in Gangbusters, Boot Hill, Traveller/MT, James Bond,

Gangbusters, Gamma World, Top Secret, Dangerous Journeys/Mythus, Powers

and Perils (yikes), Rifts, Rolemaster/MERP, Amber, WEG Star Wars, Paranoia,

and TORG. I am sure I am missing a few. I also played a little Ringworld,

my first foray into BRP. Alas, it didn't last long.

Around 1992 or so I had grown dissatisfied with D&D. I went to a local con here

in San Diego, and came across Skyrealms of Jorune. I immediately remembered

looking for that game back in the 80's after seeing the wonderful ads in

Dragon. I was hooked. Shortly thereafter, I found Stormbringer 4th -

probably around 1993. My second exposure to BRP, and I was hooked. Fantasy

the way I wish D&D had been done. And Moorcock to boot. After that, I

got into CoC and RQ. I also have played a little Tales From The Floating

Vagabond (partially responsible for my screen name).

I am an IT pro by day, working at UC San Diego in the Jacobs School of

Engineering. I also am a guitarist, an artist, and a car nut (hope to start

my dream project in the very near future). Married almost 8 yrs, and

father of two.

-V

I'm Jerry M. Chaney II. I live in Lexington, KY. My favorite past-time is role-playing with my kids, which we've been doing since the eldest, Jason, was 4 (he is 27 now). My youngest, Corwin is now 16 and he's taken turns running his own campaigns, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, D&D 3.5E, Army of Darkness & Serenity. When I run it is usually Gaulia, Sweet Gaulia, a Call of C'thulhu w/Avalon Hill's 3rd Ed. RuneQuest campaign set in 1775's Musketeer France.

Gaulia, Sweet Gaulia

Or what happens when...

The Three Musketeers and the Brothers Grimm, meet the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Chaos Gods, the Stormbringer Chaos Gods, and the C'thulhu Mythos.

I'm praying that BRP quality control will make certain that all of the rules for one campaign works in the others (e.g. Deadworld + Supers + Call of C'thulhu) with complete compatability.

I'm also hoping that Chaosium's keeping Skill Category Modifiers; Fatigue; Priests; Shamen; & Sorcerers, armor encumberance etc. et. al.

I'm pleased to meet you all & hope that my house rules assist your campaigns & that you don't mind if I shamelessly steal those of yours that I like!

Adieu, Adéesse, & Blest be,

-Bander

Imagine a person, tall, lean and feline, high-shouldered, with a brow like Shakespeare and a face like Satan. One giant intellect, with all the resources of science past and present... Imagine that awful being, and you have a mental picture of Dr. Fu-Manchu, the yellow peril incarnate in one man. –The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu

Hi Bander!

That sounds one COOL campaign! :D

Welcome aboard - I'm pretty sure that BRP is keeping all the rules you mention, although there are no specific priest or shaman rules in the first release (no divine magic per se). We're all expecting magic systems to be a pretty high priority for upcoming releases following the core book, plus of course your RQ3 / Stormbringer stuff will still work fine with the new rules!

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Arthur, I've been gaming since '79 or so. Played a lot of D&D. Got my hands on RQ in '93, when I came across an unloved copy of RQ2 in a box of my friend's stuff. Quickly moved on to RQ3/Glorantha, which is the edition I played most. When those books started to get a little dog-eared, and my love of the setting waned, I moved on to HarnMaster Core, and was quite active on the harnforum. Along with RQ, HM has to be my favorite. Tried coming back to D&D with 3E, but got burned out due to prep time before games. Tried being a playtester for MRQ, and was unceremoniously booted from the list [no reason, no explanation]. I did manage to be a playtester for DBRP, for which I am very proud, simply because it is now a reality. I've played a lot of CoC, a setting that still gives me the creeps, and one for which I strictly adhere to the player's code :innocent:, never wanting to delve into the Keeper's section [no spoilers please ;) ].

I was pretty active on the 4E forum until most recently, when I decided that I had no interest in learning a sixth edition of D&D (or 5.5 if you ask the bean counters), and now I'm here. I can't wait for the rules compendium, and putting together a new campaign for myself and my friends. I'm usually polite, though sometimes passionate. My english is often frustrating, though while it is my first language, it is not that of my spanish grandparents who rarely spoke english in the house.

This looks to be a great forum, with some nice downloads, and intelligent conversation. Thanks for the welcome.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Hi, there...

I just wanted to pop in real quick and introduce myself. My name's Chad and I've been roleplaying since the late 80s. Wow... I've hit the 20 year mark -- I've never realized that until now.

I'm a big BRP fan, having played CoC since the early 90s. Since the early 21st century, I've worked on various CoC projects, and now that BRP is going to be widely available to eager consumers, have a couple things already in the works. At least one will be turned in before the end of the year.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Hi,

My name is Mike McIntyre. I started rpging in 1978 with the D and D blue box. We played that for years until in the mid eighties I was introduced to RQ. Which I LOVED. It was such a liberating game for player characters that I never wanted to switch back to any system other than that. Of course next was CoC, and then a list of myriad games all played at some time or another from '78 on. Gamma World, Boot Hill, Car Wars, Paranoia, traveller, traveller 2300, and others. Now that my son is yelling for me, I have to go. So any how, I am pretty happy that BRP is on its way.

Best

Mick

"Always let the NPC's open the doors."

Mike McIntyre, Plymouth Junior High, 1979

I'm a big BRP fan, having played CoC since the early 90s. Since the early 21st century, I've worked on various CoC projects, and now that BRP is going to be widely available to eager consumers, have a couple things already in the works. At least one will be turned in before the end of the year.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Welcome cjbowser! Do tell us more about the BRP projects your working on! :happy:

Hi,

My name is Mike McIntyre. I started rpging in 1978 with the D and D blue box. We played that for years until in the mid eighties I was introduced to RQ. Which I LOVED. It was such a liberating game for player characters that I never wanted to switch back to any system other than that. Of course next was CoC, and then a list of myriad games all played at some time or another from '78 on. Gamma World, Boot Hill, Car Wars, Paranoia, traveller, traveller 2300, and others. Now that my son is yelling for me, I have to go. So any how, I am pretty happy that BRP is on its way.

Best

Mick

Welcome to the board Mick! Do you play any BRP with your son by the way?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.