Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Ditto in re-The Black Seal. A marvelous and consistently excellent magazine.

So it's summertime and in some places quite warm in the Northern Hemisphere. Do you find yourselves gaming outdoors in the evening or do you have a pleasantly cool room to host your games?

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

Made it through the registration process at last! :)

I've been gaming since, oh, about '80 or so; recently got dragged back into it after a 10-year hiatus. I've been using bits & pieces of various Chaosium systems (RQ, Elfquest, RQ3) in non-Glorantha settings since I got tired of experience points and levels, so BRP was right up my alley (I bought the PDF and urged the others in my group to do likewise).

Computers are nice as aids to the player and GM, but we still use paper, pencil, battlemats, and miniatures extensively.

- QV

Rule #1: Amuse the GM.

What do you find yourself playing mostly these days? What settings and / or systems?

Homebrew setting (I sometimes adapt commercial modules, mostly from Chaosium or Iron Crown, but generally prefer to design my own) with a free-form "sandbox" approach; I'd rather try to hasten ahead of the players than confine them to a plotline or locale. It's more amusing to see what they come up with.

System is a combination of AD&D creatures (mostly), magic, and "flavor" with RQ combat and mechanics. D100 was & is more popular with my players than classes, levels, and experience points, which were found to be both too complicated and too confining.

I'm hoping that adapting our system to BRP will clean up a lot of kludged bits left over from RQ and AD&D.

- QV

Rule #1: Amuse the GM.

QuestingVince and mcrow; welcome!

What do you find yourself playing mostly these days? What settings and / or systems?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the subject...

-pax-

I've been playing Roma Imperious, CoC, D&D 3.5 and a few others over the last year. With the exception of Roma and CoC, mostly homebrew settings.

Hey, I finally managed to get registered, so I figured I'd say hey.

While I'm mainly an old School D&D'er, I like to play a variety of games and BRPG is probably one of my favourites. While I've unfourtunatly not been able to play a lot of it in recent years ( With the Exception of CoC) heres to hoping my brand new BRPG book changes that. I've already got a couple of games in mind...

Anyway, I hope I can contribute a bit to the conversation here. :)

Tedankhamen in Kyoto here :happy: Got into gaming in '89, played DnD, GURPS, and various others but always loved my Stormbringer and Cthulhu. Been a bit too busy for gaming the past few years with grad school, job hunting, marriage, and births and deaths, but now have time and inclination but few people to play with:confused: here in Japan.

I'll check the site out for a bit then decide how or what I can contribute. I also am wondering if someone could post the old 3rd-4th edition Stormbringer Nationalities and Classes tables - I lost mine in one of my frequent moves and all I have now is my Elric! book:eek:

Cheers!

Sorry I'm so slow to respond, but I can feel your pain. I lived in Japan for six years and it was mostly a big time-out for gaming.

Several others on this forum were former Japan residents - a thread or two got derailed by our reminiscing.

Anyway, I hope I can contribute a bit to the conversation here. :)

I'm sure you'll fit right in - cool handle, BTW!

Welcome!

Getting gnawed on by the Mythos? Excellent start! BRP is a flexible enough toolkit to run all kinds of games.

Don't be bashful -

Emerging from my Dark Age...

I'm sure you'll fit right in - cool handle, BTW!

Thanks! Its nice to be among people who understand it. I use it on my STEAM account, and am occasionally reffered to as "Negative Taco" by people on the voice chat. :P

I already love reading the threads here, everyone seems pretty well versed and thoughtful. I think I'll continue to peruse while I'm supposed to be working. :innocent:

I'm Mark, from Alabama.

Been playing these "silly games" in '77-78 ... started with the D&D boxed set before the Player Handbook was published ... yeah, long time ago.

Anyway, I moved on to bigger and better things ... like Call of Cthulhu some years later and after something of a hiatus, I'm back into gaming.

Currently wanting to torture my players with a setting where their "Monster Hunters" and have to deal with SAN loss, leaving things open to pull them into CoC whenever it might shake them up a little. They're a cagey bunch and will play differentely if they think it's CoC, sometimes they are no fun at all ;-(

I'm also wondering if anyone can see an "easy" way that the magic system could be modded in to a "Dresden-esque" type system where a magician or wizard has access to "fast and dirty" direct energy spells, but has to fall back to rituals, or "mini-rituals" for anything remotely involving finesse.

back to work for me,

Thanks

Mark

Abusus non tollit usum

"Abuse is no argument against proper use"

Whoops, I just noticed this thread.

I've been gaming for about 20 years - I started young, with AD&D, but quickly moved on to other games. I played a lot of different games in my youth, many of them Palladium games, but also a good deal of Marvel Superheroes, Earthdawn, Cyberpunk 2020, and piles of other, more obscure stuff. The gaming group I'm currently in just finished a Cthulhu Mythos-based Adventure! pulp campaign, and we're trying out D&D 4th edition at the moment. My personal tastes tend towards something grittier than modern D&D, however.

I'm basically a newbie to BRP, having owned a few Chaosium games in the past but never getting a chance to play them. I am a big fan of percentile-based systems, though, and it looks like BRP is going to be perfect for my homebrew fantasy setting. I've already grabbed several books besides the new core rules - a couple different editions of Stormbringer, RuneQuest III, Malleus Monstrorum, Cthulhu Dark Ages - as guidelines.

So, bear with me, as I'll probably be asking for a lot of advice on how to manipulate the system to my tastes!

Sorry I'm so slow to respond, but I can feel your pain. I lived in Japan for six years and it was mostly a big time-out for gaming.

Several others on this forum were former Japan residents - a thread or two got derailed by our reminiscing.

Seconding Jason's statement: Your pain is felt. I only lived there two years (in Nagaoka-shi, Niigata-ken) and enjoyed many things about the culture, whiskey, food, sake, people, scotch, and beer... but as an ultra-hardcore RPG gamer it was RPG gaming hell, especially this was where I really started studying different RPG systems (I shall now call it my Grand RPG ADHD Re-Awakening) and developing my own methods for managing and running a game.

And then hardly ever getting to run them. Guh. :shocked:

Yes. I totally feel your pain.

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

Hi all, my name is Jeramy Ware, I'm from Austin, Tx, and I've been poking around these boards for a while, but I finally registered when I found a question I knew the answer to :)

I've been a gamer for 26 years and started BRP with Runequest 2nd edition. I've played a few other BRP games since then, but I went away from them for a while and just got back into it when I got excited about the new book.

Hi all,

I'm new to the Forums and fairly new to BRP -- I've played a session or two of CoC and I own, but have never played, Stormbringer!. Currently, I'm participating in a D&D 4E campaign, a homebrewed Warhammer 40K/Inquisitor campaign, and we're about to restart our old "Iron Kingdoms/40K" homebrew (set in a game world our GM is planning to use for his first novel . . . provided he ever gets off his duff and gets it written).

When not gaming, thinking of gaming, or trying to teach dice mechanics to my cat, I write historical fiction and historical fantasy novels (see sig). Like Empty (Mark), I reside in the great state of Alabama, just outside Huntsville.

Excellent forum, and glad to be here!

Best,

Scott

Scott Oden

Author of Men of Bronze and Memnon.

Read The Lion of Cairo, coming soon from Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press!

Hi! :)

After some lurking, I made up my mind and registered. I post at rpg.net and therpgsite as Claudius, my real life name is José, I'm 32 and I'm from Spain. D&D BECM was the first RPG I played (I was 13 or 14), but the first RPG I owned and loved was RuneQuest 3rd. I have played, run and loved other games (including other BRP games like Stormbringer), but RuneQuest left an indelible mark on me. When RuneQuest was put out of print, I thought I'd never see it again, so you can imagine how excited I was when I heard about Basic Roleplaying. I haven't got it yet, my copy must be crossing the Atlantic and I'll have to wait a while to get it (Amazon says I'll receive it in August). In every case, I'm very happy to see this BRP revival, and I can't wait to have it in my hands and see what I could do with it.

Grając zaś w grę komputerową, być może zdarzyło się wam zapragnąć zejść z wyznaczonej przez autorów ścieżki i, miast zabić smoka i ożenić się z księżniczką, zabić księżniczkę i ożenić się ze smokiem.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone for being here and contributing to this terrific resource. I hope that we can communicate and exchange ideas without getting personal or assuming ill intentions from others. Please agree to disagree and do everything you can to try and be civil to each other. I try to treat conversations online as if the person were in front of me. Thank you for listening. Back to introductions please! Sorry about the interruption. :focus:

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

Hi everyone,

I'm 34 years old, french, librarian and rpg addict since I was 11. I've played old D&D and AD&D, Cthulhu, Stormbringer, Hawkmoon, L5R and some home made rpg. I use today my own version of BRPG, based on the modifications I've made on the Stormbringer system for the last 18 years. And I've just received the brand new BRP !

Hello..Ive also decided to register with the forum after getting the new BRP book as well.This is my first time using this system and after looking at it found myself REALLY liking what JASON D. produced with this new book.Ive play some CoC in the past years ago but after getting the new BRP book have decided to make it my "go to" system of choice.Im planning on hopefully using it to convert some of my favorite movies for gaming purposes and sharing with anyone interested.Thanks again for listening to an old man babble:)

Hi, I'm Stuart. I muck around with computers for a living and discovered roleplaying nearly 30 years ago now and RQ about 24 years ago. It all seems like such a long long time ago. And here I am still running RQIII and just getting into the new BRP!

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!