Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Hey DMK, welcome to the forum.

Order prepared pretty much means It should be getting ready to go out the door. It may have already actually as I have received orders while it still said that. It wasn't until after I received it that it shipped.

Rod

PS - Aces High is an awesome supplement that you will not be disappointed with, and I HOPE you like Classic Fantasy as well. ;)

Edit: I like your quote, "Night of the Comet" if I remember right.

Thanks! I wasn't actually torgued about the order statement...more amused. "It's prepared...we're not sending it yet, but we could!" :D Very much looking forward to the BRP supplements, I've read great things about both of them. I'm hoping to run a BRP Classic Fantasy game set in the Wilderlands...seems like a perfect mix to me.

And, yes, the quote, the avatar and the screen name are all from Night of the Comet...I'm, like, totally from the '80s, y'know? :cool:

"Daddy would've gotten us Uzis."

Guest Vile Traveller

Night of the Comet ... how cool is that? Welcome to the boards, DMK!:thumb:

Wait, I don't think I've been introduced yet! Hello everybody! I'm here because I remember Trifletraxor's previous forum, which unfortunately didn't last that long in spite of (or because of?) my spamming every RuneQuest and BRP group that I could find, and I remember that picture on the Mongoose forums. I did barely enough to get my name on the playtester's list in the new BRP book. Oh, and I do the odd bit of third-party work for Mongoose Traveller, although I personally only play that game (and every other game) with percentage dice ...

Classic Fantasy is seriously plucking at my purse strings, although the other half of my brain keeps saying "No, you traitor, write your own BRP version of Moldvay/Cook B/X, the real D&D!"

And, yes, the quote, the avatar and the screen name are all from Night of the Comet...I'm, like, totally from the '80s, y'know? :cool:

I love the movie, but I don't remember "DMK".

I'm rather stuck in the 80's myself. Of course, that was the best time of my life, attending college and spending every spare moment on RPGs and computer games. ;D

Night of the CometClassic Fantasy is seriously plucking at my purse strings, although the other half of my brain keeps saying "No, you traitor, write your own BRP version of Moldvay/Cook B/X, the real D&D!"

Altho I started with the Basic Set back about 1978, and played a lot of AD&D 1st ed., most of my games have been in my own game worlds, with various house rules (I'll tell you about my d% hot-hit table replacement sometime), I feel no particular loyalty to the system. I'm sick of class/level designs. That's why I prefer BRP. :)

Guest Vile Traveller

Heh, that's just an in-joke reference to the fact that Classic Fantasy is, to my understanding, based on AD&D 1st edition, while my upbringing was the old Basic and Expert D&D sets by Moldvay and Cook. So, I'm messing about writing a Basic Roleplaying version of those two red & blue books, but I wonder how different the end product will be from threedeesix's Classic Fantasy. In other words, am I wasting my time!?

I love the movie, but I don't remember "DMK".

I'm rather stuck in the 80's myself. Of course, that was the best time of my life, attending college and spending every spare moment on RPGs and computer games. ;D

Hey, the '80s were great! :thumb: Lots of great gaming time back then!

DMK was the name on the video game that Reggie knocks off near the beginning of the movie. He shows up at the very end...

Samantha: Nice car.

DMK: Thanks, I have 23 of them.

As he drives her off, you can see the DMK on his license plate.

Heh, that's just an in-joke reference to the fact that Classic Fantasy is, to my understanding, based on AD&D 1st edition, while my upbringing was the old Basic and Expert D&D sets by Moldvay and Cook. So, I'm messing about writing a Basic Roleplaying version of those two red & blue books, but I wonder how different the end product will be from threedeesix's Classic Fantasy. In other words, am I wasting my time!?

I'll let you know once I get CF!

Seriously, though, did the old boxed set D&D differ a lot from AD&D? I ask, because I never really played it...our group went straight to AD&D and Arduin.

Guest Vile Traveller

Oh, yes, it was rather different. There were, I think, three iterations of D&D as opposed to AD&D (not counting D20) - Original D&D, the above mentioned Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert, and then a whole slew of new boxed sets (Basic, Expert, Companion, Master & Immortal). I'm talking about the BX combination. However, take away the TSR rules and the presentation, and I'm not so sure how different a BRP game based on either would be. The B/X version would probably have less stuff in it (character classes, spells, monsters & treasure) than the AD&D 1st version, but the general tone and style would probably be quite close.

Anyway, best not derail the Introductions thread - this sort of thing can be discussed in the Classic Fantasy thread. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Whoops. I've been a member for nine months now and still not introduced myself. Very rude of me. Sorry.

My name's Alan Brodie and I live in Scotland. I began roleplaying at Easter 1983, when a friend turned up at our house with the D&D Basic box and a dungeon full of kobolds, skeletons, living statues, and a giant snake. We moved on to AD&D within the year, and I recall early (abortive but mostly fun) experiments with Powers & Perils, The Morrow Project, Traveller, and Paranoia. I first encountered BRP in the guise of RuneQuest but I'm another of those odd fellows who just couldn't get into Glorantha for some reason. Maybe it was the ducks. Soon picked up Call Of Cthulhu, though, and then Stormbringer, and loved them both.

I don't get to play much these days, but I live in hope and still write adventures and tinker with games and settings. I have a whole lotta love for Skyrealms Of Jorune, and am slowly working on a lightweight BRP conversion for that splendid setting. I'm also interested in anything to do with real-world myths and legends (especially Celtic, Nordic, and Finno-Ugric). Oh, and I'm fond of dinosaurs too.

So. Hello to you all.

I first encountered BRP in the guise of RuneQuest but I'm another of those odd fellows who just couldn't get into Glorantha for some reason. Maybe it was the ducks.

Yes, those Humakti ducks can scare anyone away. In my game group, there's a Humakti duck who has the alltime killscore for one session - 42. He died too, but only because he refused to run away to get healing. ;)

I don't get to play much these days, but I live in hope and still write adventures and tinker with games and settings.

Anything for BRP you could share with us here? We do love adventures!

So. Hello to you all.

Hello and welcome Alan! :)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I guess I never properly introduced myself either though I've been posting for a time. I'm Chris. I started gaming in '84-'85. Actually my start in gaming was by taking story elements from some Warlord and Conan the Barbarian comics and the Lone Wolf (not cub) series and stringing them together and storytelling them in a "choose-your-own-adventure" format for some other kids on the bus. Being the new kid, I figured I needed a gimmick. So the other guys were getting into the story and I was internally congratulating myself over what a brilliant idea I had when one of the other kids offhandedly says "yeah, this is totally like DnD but without dice!" That weekend I got my hands on my first copy of Deities and Demigods, the next weekend we were playing Star Frontiers and a couple months later we were trying to figure out how to use Star Frontiers rules to play an RPG version of the Fortress America boardgame. (Incidentally, a great "man-test" for any of your friends is to ask them to name a movie with Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey. The instant response should be "Red Dawn" and nothing else. Any other response indicates that your "friend" was either born later than "The Empire Strikes Back" and therefore cannot be trusted, or is in the kitchen with his mother making creme broulet). Ah the halcyon days of the Cold War, when childhood's dreams were dominated by fear of global thermonuclear war, and you knew who your friends were, because those were the guys you'd run off into the woods and become partisans with when the Soviets invaded.

I spent better than a decade in the Navy. I lived in the Middle East for a few years and speak Arabic, (so if you would like some language support for authentic and accurate Arabic materials for your CoC game, shoot me an email). These days I'm mourning the passing of a great CoC/Delta Green campaign as our keeper moves away and hoping I can scrape together another group. My interests are primarily in historic esp medieval settings. Things that touch the language/culture/anthro/archaeo-nerd regions of my brain. Unless I catch the Trek bug again soon, in which case my desire to craft a suitably accurate 3D star map will destroy my ability to think about much else. Not that I have the software... any recommendations?

My interests are primarily in historic esp medieval settings. Things that touch the language/culture/anthro/archaeo-nerd regions of my brain.
For historic settings, I'd go with Rome. Veni, Vidi, Vici and Cthulhu Invictus should work well as support. Not exactly medieval though...

Unless I catch the Trek bug again soon, in which case my desire to craft a suitably accurate 3D star map will destroy my ability to think about much else. Not that I have the software... any recommendations

Of our galaxy or a made up one?

SGL.

Unless I catch the Trek bug again soon, in which case my desire to craft a suitably accurate 3D star map will destroy my ability to think about much else. Not that I have the software... any recommendations?

Sketchup - 3D modelling software available free from Google - mainly used for houses and buildings, but people have been making spaceships and all kinds of things with it. I'm sure you could make a 3D star map.

Looks like someone already made one or more for Star Wars: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=50200eb42761bfeba285502e52d80ccd&prevstart=0

For sure you will find ship models for both star wars and trek. Just search the 3D warehouse!

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

And let this be my first post on the BRP forums.

I only recently got back into RPGs after many, many years. The only organised campaign I was ever in was D&D, back in school. I seem to remember the DM let me sell an intelligent sword for 500k GP (!) and I built a castle with the proceeds.

Later we tried RQ2 - the Games Workshop version - after I wheedled my uncle into buying me the rulebook. And then it only lasted for a couple of sessions because no-one else could be bothered to learn the rules. I wish I still had that book - the artwork was wow, and the magical Europe setting seemed all adult and sophisticated compared to what we'd had with D&D. Later we tried CoC too. But computer games and the onset of real life killed it all off between them.

Fast forward about 20 yrs and various desultory internet wanderings led me to happen across a free download of Traveller4, of all games (it was legal by the way - one of those drivethru offers). Now, some years later, I have spent a scary amount on pdf's and even managed a few games of Traveller along the way.

Not now having a group to play with, I've been on a "rulesquest", looking for the ideal system to mess about with for fantasy and scifi purposes. And BRP feels like it. I'm only just getting (back) to grips with the system, but I like what I read, and the monographs are a fantastic resource - in individual quality the ones I have, Rome and Cthulhu Rising, equal or exceed the best GURPS sourcebooks, in my humble opinion.

Unless I catch the Trek bug again soon, in which case my desire to craft a suitably accurate 3D star map will destroy my ability to think about much else. Not that I have the software... any recommendations?

In a word, or a word and a numeral, Astrosynthesis 2.0, from a firm called NBOS. You can check their site for all the features - there a ton of fan-created resources too, like Traveller and Gurps rules compliant star system generators. I love messing around with it. For a cheaper (free) alternative, there is a 3D starmapping programme called ChView - google it. Both come with real star datafiles.

I used to be intent on creating a good map of the real stars around Earth. I gave up.

The problem is that the galaxy is dominated (in numbers) by very small dim stars. But we have trouble finding those. So they are drastically under-represented in any catalog of stars. And the bigger your map, the bigger the stars that are missing near the edges.

Now, my goal is to translate an re-purpose some scientific software that simulates the motions and evolution of a cluster of stars. Well, it's a back-burner project, so progress is slow.

Not now having a group to play with, I've been on a "rulesquest", looking for the ideal system to mess about with for fantasy and scifi purposes. And BRP feels like it. I'm only just getting (back) to grips with the system, but I like what I read, and the monographs are a fantastic resource - in individual quality the ones I have, Rome and Cthulhu Rising, equal or exceed the best GURPS sourcebooks, in my humble opinion.

Sounds like a good choice! ;t)

Rome and CR are pretty amazing.

Welcome the site Marchand!

SGL.

Hello people.

Im very old.

Originally a wargamer, Avalon Hill (ironic) and SPI, bookcase games, Panzerblitz, etc., led me to rpgs and the 'big 3' of D&D, RQ and Traveller. DMed a lot of D&D as my group felt more comfortable with it rather than RQ. However, college gave me an opportunity to play as well as GM lots of games and Ive never looked back. Im not a BRP snob, though I think its probably one of the best, if not the best, rpg around, I'll happily play anything (other than WoD stuff, definitely, and SW, probably. Im not mad keen on indie rpgs either, though I own a few).

''Yyrkoon,'' said Elric, ''this is unwise of you.''

''I was never a cautious man, cousin, as well you know.''

I'm hoping to run a BRP Classic Fantasy game set in the Wilderlands...seems like a perfect mix to me.

Ive done this! Seems like weve had a similar idea. I did a houseruled Stormbringer with the serial numbers filed off, it worked really well. Mostly used the City State map and the Altanis one. This was a good while ago though, Id be embarrassed to show my notes :) Ive also used the Blackmoor map (First Fantasy Campaign), more than once, though, in most cases, Ill change place names.

''Yyrkoon,'' said Elric, ''this is unwise of you.''

''I was never a cautious man, cousin, as well you know.''

Hi all, just joined. I am a huge BRP fanatic ... that's huge as in I like it ... not that I'm personally huge ... ahh, you get the point. ;-)

I am presently using BRP with the following game settings (I tend to play a few weeks of each campaign in a row, then rotate to another for a few weeks, and so on);

Middle-Earth, WFRP, 40k (Rogue Trader), Terminator/Twilight 2020, Star Wars, D&D (homebrewed setting), Battletech/MechWarrior

I tend to use the basic rules, but have worked out my own firearms rules (based around the old Delta Force rpg) as I always found that firearms are the one thing BRP struggles with (damage always tends to be either too deadly or too weak).

Anyway, I'm glad to be amongst fellow lovers of BRP ... the One System, as we call it, as we feel we will need no other. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, everyone! My RL name is David and I have been an avid rpg gamer since the mid-eighties, having gotten bitten by the bug in my junior year of high school. I have played alot of the games out there and end up tweaking most of them so often that I even made an attempt at creating my own rpg (who hasn't).

With the latest version of BRP and MRQ, I have decided to give the system a try again, not having touched anything simular since the old Elric! version.

I would say that High Fantasy is my favorite genre, although I have every genre in my rpg collection. My least favorite would be the horror scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all.

My name is Travis and I live in North Carolina. I've been gaming for quite a long time (since the early eighties). My background is mostly AD&D 1st & 2nd editions, Star Wars D6, and a little bit of Traveller. I've read my share of Lovecraft and always wondered what it would be like to run a CoC game. I've recently purchased BRP and Classic Fantasy and will learn the system and see if it's as intuitive as my friends have told me it is.

I plan on running a sword & sorcery type campaign in the future. Chaosium, don't let me down. >:>

Later.

Welcome, Travis!

I'm in NC as well. The Piedmont Triad to be specific. What part are you in?

Hello to all.

My name is Travis and I live in North Carolina. I've been gaming for quite a long time (since the early eighties). My background is mostly AD&D 1st & 2nd editions, Star Wars D6, and a little bit of Traveller. I've read my share of Lovecraft and always wondered what it would be like to run a CoC game. I've recently purchased BRP and Classic Fantasy and will learn the system and see if it's as intuitive as my friends have told me it is.

I plan on running a sword & sorcery type campaign in the future. Chaosium, don't let me down. >:>

Later.