Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Greetings,

Mike Stephens here, I live in Baltimore MD and work as an IT manager for Johns Hopkins University.

I started playing in the early 80's TFT, heavily modified D&D, Traveller, TopSecret, Aftermath ..... Then came marriage and career and family. So fro many years I have mostly collected. I am interested in games systems, rules, and theory. I am currently building a custom Traveller spin off campaign which I actually hope to play before I retire.

Hi there folks,

My name's Jonathon (I also go by JD) and, like so many, I started with D&D when I was young and impressionable and fell in with the wrong sort of gamers.

Some things that left me dissatisfied with D&D were the ecological inconsistancies (running into orcs, kobolds and a vampire(?) in the same dungeon), and the obvious fillers for the monster pantheon (don't get me started on the gelatinous cube).

I was a sci-fi nut still at this time (around 1979-80) so I went in hard when I discovered Traveller, but I also really enjoyed playing 1st/2nd edition RuneQuest, SPI's DragonQuest, Tunnels and Trolls, some Gamma World and Top Secret, and a little Star Frontiers. I owned a copy of Universe, but never got around to playing it. I even had a couple of sessions of Call of Cthulhu before the kid with the only copy among us moved town. There were probably a couple of other rules-sets in there as well, but we didn't play them on a regular basis.

At eighteen I moved to a little town where I didn't know anyone and stopped playing after a fairly solid six-or-so years. I also lost track of my game-gear collection which I'd left at home (thanks, Mum).

After a hiatus of nearly two decades, I'm back in the game, so to speak. I've recreated my Traveller LBB collection (through the magic of reprints) and I'm exploring other rules sets as well.

The landscape has changed a lot in twenty-odd years, and I'm still finding my feet to some degree. I've fallen in with another group of ne'er-do-wells who spend most sessions playing Harn, but break it up four or five of times a year with other games.

Some of my best game memeories were of playing RuneQuest, and I've turned into a bit of a rules-junky in my dotage, so I'm really looking forward to the release of the new Basic Roleplaying set. I'm also new to the forum (obviously), so I'd be very interested to hear anyone's impressions of BRP, especially any playtesters that may be tuning in.

Cheers,

JD

I should really introduce myself.

I'm Nathan Baron, and I'm one of the members of the Design Mechanism behind Gwenthia. I also run the Eternal Champion Yahoo group, which supports not only the brand new Mongoose's Eternal Champion line, but also the old Chaosium one. I have been a supporter of BRP for over a decade now, playing the various incarnations of Stormbringer/Elric, as well as Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest. At the moment, I'm enjoying Mongoose RuneQuest, which, of course, is hybrid of BRP.

I'm pretty famous for my Sharpe BRP games, based on the Bernard Cornwell books, which always go down a storm at conventions. (The games were part of my play-test for Jason's new incarnation of the BRP rules). At the moment, I'm busily prepping the second scenario for my Sharpe trilogy, ready for next year. I'm also planning a second BRP Star Wars scenario. The first I ran as a solo adventurer for Loz Whitaker, who thoroughly enjoyed it. The adventure was set during the Clone Wars, but the sequel will be set during the Rebellion era, and will use the same locations and most of the original NPCs.

Thanks! ^_^

Nathan Baron

Hi there folks,

My name's Jonathon (I also go by JD) and, like so many, I started with D&D when I was young and impressionable and fell in with the wrong sort of gamers.

We've all been there! ;)

Some things that left me dissatisfied with D&D were the ecological inconsistancies (running into orcs, kobolds and a vampire(?) in the same dungeon), and the obvious fillers for the monster pantheon (don't get me started on the gelatinous cube).

I recently visited a website that listed the all-time worst D&D monsters. Quite fun actually, and the gelatinous cube did of course make its apperance! :lol:

After a hiatus of nearly two decades, I'm back in the game, so to speak. I've recreated my Traveller LBB collection (through the magic of reprints) and I'm exploring other rules sets as well.

I you're a sci-fi man, there are a couple of sci-fi settings in the works for BRP. Cthulhu Rising for Call of Cthulhu might also be something to check out.

Welcome to the board JD! :)

I should really introduce myself.

I'm pretty famous for my Sharpe BRP games, based on the Bernard Cornwell books, which always go down a storm at conventions.

Sharpe? based on Bernhard Cornwell books? :ohwell: Could you enlighten an ignorant soul here?

At the moment, I'm busily prepping the second scenario for my Sharpe trilogy, ready for next year.

Sharpe trilogy, is that a pack of three scenarios to be released next year? Official stuff through Chaosium, GORE or MRQ or fanbased? (maybe you could give us some info in a new thread?)

Welcome to the board Nathan! :-)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Some of you will be more familiar with the Television series of the same name, starring Sean Bean in the title role. The trilogy of scenarios is something I run just for friends or at conventions, and are not designed for publication. I am aware of, but cannot say anything more at the present, that a certain publisher has acquired the Cornwell license, and may in the future publish an official Sharpe RPG. If that comes to pass, I may write them up for that publisher.

Currently, I'm using Chaosium's BRP system for Sharpe. I was on the play-test for the new rules, as written and compiled by Jason. So, Sharpe was the setting I primarily used when I partook in the play-testing.

Nathan Baron

Welcome to the board JD! :)

SGL.

Thanks, Trif, great to be here

Sharpe? based on Bernhard Cornwell books? :ohwell: Could you enlighten an ignorant soul here?

SGL.

I might be able to help here - the Sharpe novels follow the progress of an officer in His Majesty's Army during the Peninsula Campaign against Napoleon's invading forces (well the early ones at least; I haven't read all of them).

They've recently been rereleased in glossy little paperback format, no doubt on the back of the apparently very good telemovie series from the UK - to the best of my knowledge they haven't screened here in Australia <sigh>.

Greetings all!

I'm a new initiate to the Basic Roleplaying system and an avid gamer.

I started with AD&D 2e and progressed through an onslaught of popular gaming systems. Finding these all to be too "gamist" (heavy on rules and tactics with almost no attention to really playing a role and emphasis on telling a story), I traversed backwards in gaming chronology.

I purchased the new World of Darkness (the core is heavily influenced by Call of Cthulhu IMO), Nobilis (brilliant, but very specific in who it appeals to)Unknown Armies (Rules light and plot HEAVY), Over the Edge (rules medium and plot HEAVY), Talislanta (despite being non-traditional, it evokes the atmosphere of the classic fantasy setting better than any other setting I've ever read), Call of Cthulhu (one of my favorites in terms of narrative gameplay), and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (very much like BRP, but is slightly more forgiving in combat without losing the grim edge of its fantastic setting).

Of all of these, BRP provided the best narrative experience I've ever had the joy of running. Idea, Know, and Luck rolls are fantastic tools for the GM to use to continue the flow of the story unabated, but with appropriate drama and a sense of risk.

I look forward to sharing ideas with like-minded individuals here!

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

Hello and welcome Ars Mysteriorum! :)

Thanks! I've lurked here a bit since Chaosium declared its intention to create a cogent rendition of the BRP rules in a massive tome. I'm very excited to see how it turns out!

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

Hello, I just found my way here through a link at Mongoose Publishing. I go back to first edition Runequest and Call of Cthulhu.

I ran my first Call of Cthulhu game as a non-Lovecraftian pulp adventure in Africa, with my intrepid heroes scaling the "Ju-Ju Plateau" to battle Atlantean mummies and rescue a lost aviator.

My favorite Call of Cthulhu experience, though, came when I ran Alone Against the Wendigo for my pre-school age son (he was probably about 5 at the time). His character's ultimate fate was brain extraction and a one-way trip to Yuggoth; at which point, he jumped up from the table and declared, "H. P. Lovecraft is a terrible writer who writes terrible things!"

My primary gaming interest is wargames (boardgames); but I also enjoy historical miniatures, HeroClix, and various RPGs, with CoC as my all-time favorite.

And now to check out the news and the downloads!

My favorite Call of Cthulhu experience, though, came when I ran Alone Against the Wendigo for my pre-school age son (he was probably about 5 at the time). His character's ultimate fate was brain extraction and a one-way trip to Yuggoth; at which point, he jumped up from the table and declared, "H. P. Lovecraft is a terrible writer who writes terrible things!"

:lol:

Welcome to the board Steve!

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

5 years old, wow. A bit young. I think my 3 1/2 year old son will wait a bit more.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

My son was pretty tough-minded as a youngster. He was watching werewolf movies with me when he was 4 years old. Watching them, and enjoying them.

He was very interested in my gaming activities, and insisted that I run a Call of Cthulhu game for him. So I agreed to "moderate" Wendigo for him. I think what upset him at the end was losing the game more than the shock and outrage of having his brain transported to Yuggoth.

But the experience did not shatter his young psyche. He read most of Lovecraft when he was in high school, and he currently games World of Darkness: Vampire and Dungeons & Dragons: Eberron.

Although I've never been able to get him to try Call of Cthulhu again. . . .

My son was pretty tough-minded as a youngster. He was watching werewolf movies with me when he was 4 years old. Watching them, and enjoying them.

He was very interested in my gaming activities, and insisted that I run a Call of Cthulhu game for him. So I agreed to "moderate" Wendigo for him. I think what upset him at the end was losing the game more than the shock and outrage of having his brain transported to Yuggoth.

But the experience did not shatter his young psyche. He read most of Lovecraft when he was in high school, and he currently games World of Darkness: Vampire and Dungeons & Dragons: Eberron.

Although I've never been able to get him to try Call of Cthulhu again. . . .

Impressive. By sheer curiosity, how old is he now ? My wife wants to know, because even if SHE is the CoC at home, she's a bit afraid of what influence I may have on him. I think that I lost my chance when she discovered what I had in mind when speaking of musical education.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Alan is 21 years old and has just graduated from college with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology. He's going to work for a year or two before returning to school for post-graduate studies.

And, his hobby interests notwithstanding, he's a well-rounded young man with an active social life. So I don't think Cthulhu or gaming or Lovecraft have warped him too much. (Not as badly as they warped his father, that's for sure.)

Hi all, I'm Bill, and reading through all the other posts in this thread I feel extremely young and inexperienced. I'm 20, and have been gaming for about two years now. I started off with D&D 3.5 (still play a bit), and then moved into Call of Cthulhu (which I GM almost exclusively). I've played a bit of Star Frontiers, Paranoia, and have helped play-test a d%-based game of retro sci-fi adventure called Amazing Space Adventures.

One of the guys I live with has been trying to push me into playing The Fantasy Trip, or rather, GMing it -- since he wants to play and doesn't have time to run it himself. I looked through the rules briefly, but it didn't really grab my interest -- BRP has me spoiled :)

"A DM only rolls dice for the noise they make." -- Gary Gygax (attributed)

Hi all, I'm Bill, and reading through all the other posts in this thread I feel extremely young and inexperienced. I'm 20, and have been gaming for about two years now.

Hiya Bill

No need to feel young and inexperienced.

I started off with D&D 3.5 (still play a bit), and then moved into Call of Cthulhu (which I GM almost exclusively). I've played a bit of Star Frontiers, Paranoia, and have helped play-test a d%-based game of retro sci-fi adventure called Amazing Space Adventures.

So, you've played more games in 2 years than I have in the last 20 - so who's the inexperienced one?

One of the guys I live with has been trying to push me into playing The Fantasy Trip, or rather, GMing it -- since he wants to play and doesn't have time to run it himself. I looked through the rules briefly, but it didn't really grab my interest -- BRP has me spoiled :)

Sometimes you have to play it to see what it's like. I've looked through rules that looked awful and played really well and also ran a game that looked really good but played like a dog.

But, BRP has spoiled a lot of people, myself included.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Hiya Bill

No need to feel young and inexperienced.

So, you've played more games in 2 years than I have in the last 20 - so who's the inexperienced one?

Thanks for putting that in perspective, solta; I guess I've been really lucky in terms of falling in with a fairly active gaming club here on campus, even if most of the members only play Magic: The Gathering.

Sometimes you have to play it to see what it's like. I've looked through rules that looked awful and played really well and also ran a game that looked really good but played like a dog.

But, BRP has spoiled a lot of people, myself included.

TFT would also probably benefit from someone other then my housemate Jeremy describing it, as the two points he's made that stick in my head are "You can die during chargen" and "I once made this ridiculously overpowered giant mage that could throw like ten fireballs per attack"

"A DM only rolls dice for the noise they make." -- Gary Gygax (attributed)