Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Not into the BRP culture wars.

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by the "culture wars"?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Started with the old Basic D&D box, I think it was 1981, then onto AD&D for a couple years. A friend introduced our group to Gamma World (first and second edtions) some Top Secret, some Twilight 2000, Psi-World, and V&V (our brief FGU period). DragonQuest was a favorite too. By 1984 we finally tried CoC, Runequest second edition, and Stormbringer. Loved the BRP system, and even played a bit of Ringworld.

Stalking the Night Fantastic I think came next, as muddled as the system was, the wound charts were endlessly horrific/amusing. There were a number of other games/sytems over the years too, like Ysgarth and Paranoia, and I think we gave most games a chance if someone could be bothered to run them.

By 1990 I had moved onto a new group of players (as people scattered after High School) and I had gotten my hands on WoW, so I ran a Superworld campaign for a couple years. BTW, never liked the full boxed version of Superworld as I felt they complicated the very simple and flexible supers game in WoW. The WoW Superworld, along with the designers notes from Different Worlds magazine #23 and some house rules made for much better gaming for us. Finally got burned out on that, so...

We went from that to a Multiverse campaign (inspired by an article in Different Worlds #29 about time travel/dimensional adventuring) using customized BRP rules and a created character sheet. The basic premise was each character had "died" on their home timeline/dimension and were now put to work altering events in other times/places. We started with a 13th century German Knight, a Post Holocaust survivalist (circa the mid 90s), a French muskateer type (female, no less) and a psionic powered freedom fighter from an alien virus ravaged earth circa 2005.

My idea was to be able to use about ANY sci-fi/western/horror published scenario I wanted, besides my own creations, and BRP rules made it a breeze to create NPCs on the spot when needed. Eventually they landed in a "Supers" world and teamed up with their old Superworld characters to defeat a pack of Dimensional Hound types who had allied with a villian group called Lunatic Fringe. Good times.

By 1994 the group changed a bit more, and we moved onto Prime Directive, the "alternate Star Trek universe" RPG by Task Force Games. I used a ton of the old FASA Star Trek game modules and some of the events of Deep Space Nine. The basic premise of Prime Directive is being part of a team of "trouble shooters" used by the Federation as needed. Players are immediately familiar with the setting, Star Trek, yet it's an alternate universe, so you have more freedom and some different elements.

Other than a bit of Mutants & Masterminds a couple years back (and I've never got into the D20 stuff anyway), life and family have kept me from having anything like real gaming group. I have played a lot of videogames though, starting with the Playstation, then Dreamcast, Xbox and Xbox 360. Online football is a favorite, along with a few other games. I guess those have filled the "RPG void".

Anyway, good to see Chaosium wake up a bit and present the BRP rules as the multi-genre gaming system I know it can be. I'm sure Mr. Durall has done an inspired job putting this together -or he'll hear about it from all of us! :)

We went from that to a Multiverse campaign (inspired by an article in Different Worlds #29 about time travel/dimensional adventuring) using customized BRP rules and a created character sheet. The basic premise was each character had "died" on their home timeline/dimension and were now put to work altering events in other times/places. We started with a 13th century German Knight, a Post Holocaust survivalist (circa the mid 90s), a French muskateer type (female, no less) and a psionic powered freedom fighter from an alien virus ravaged earth circa 2005.

I absolutely loved that article.

Hi all

For me it all began when I got the GW 3rd edition Stormbringer book in 1987. Hence my name. I'd just played a little WHFRP before then. I then moved on to Hawkmoon, CoC, Pendragon and had a taste of AD&D (which I didn't like: too complicated too many rules).

I have had a look at the MRQ stuff but feel disapointed by what I have seen. So instead I introduced RQ2 to my group and started a Boderlands campaign.

My copy of BRP is on the way and I am excited about this game in a way that I haven't for a long time.

Cheers for now

Damon

Likes to sneak around

115/420

I have been playing pen & paper tabletop roleplaying games since the early 1980s. I discovered Basic Roleplaying playing "Call of Cthulhu" and RuneQuest and have been a GM/Keeper/Player for over 20 years. I live on the West Coast of the US in the City of Los Angeles and have an active campaign that meets infrequently, but we do game and enjoy each other's company immensely. My goal as a GM is to find new/interesting ways to challenge myself and my players intellectually by taking them to worlds they could only imagine in dreams and nightmares (and having as much fun as possible in the process). I have been using "house rules" for my "Call of Cthulhu" games and was very pleased with the direction taken by the Deluxe BRP publication (Edition Zero).

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

Hi there

My name is martin, I have been playing since the early 80's and have experimented with most game that I could find.

At first I was interested in the Aftermath (fgu) system and another FGU game Chivalry and Sorcery. Then I found RQ and CoC and was quickly converted to BRP.

I am interested in developing a modern supernatural campaign. A much more streamlined World of Darkness, Dresdon Files or something like that.

mmc

I walk alone, all things are alike to me.

Hi.

I have a worn Runequest 1st ed. lying around somewhere. That is where I started.

I always thought it had potential as a Universal RPG. But it never seems to have quite made it.

I also have Stormbringer, Ringworld, Elfquest, Worlds of Wonder, Call of Cthuhlu, and some non-chaosium derivatives.

RQ was great, and BRP is wonderful, but I have always been sad that such good, understandable, easy to use game system was not better exploited. I was not impressed by the Ringworld game for a SF setting and the rest never really took off with me or my friends.

I'm hoping to see newer material with the relaunch of BRP and I am really looking forward to lurking on this site.

Hi there

I am interested in developing a modern supernatural campaign. A much more streamlined World of Darkness, Dresdon Files or something like that.

mmc

THere is a Dresden Files in the works. It isn't BRP based, but uses FATE, a very streamlined system. GO to the evilhat site if you are interested.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Just dropping by the thread to say, greetings and well met. Hope to add some quality content from time to time to the community. Trying to patiently wait for the release of the complete(gold) version of the latest rules from Chaosium.

Laters

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Hello.

Like most of the swedish crowd my first contact with roleplaying BRP (Drakar och Demoner in fact, Runequest with different magic but with the ducks!). Since then, I've used many different systems and enjoyed many, but I keep coming back to BRP when I want something simple and with the right amount of detail. Nostalgia? A sense of quality, more like it!

And now I'm joining this forum in eager anticipation of the latest BRP book (once Chaosium publishes it). Hi all.

Hello,

Lets see, my experiances w/ BRP are mostly confined to Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer, and Pendragon. I didn't like Stormbringer at first as the GM who ran the game in college ran it as a "lets see how many characters I can kill!" game. (We had to create 6 different characters and generally went through them in a night.) I took me running CoC to see how BRP can shine.

Currently, I live in a very small town in East Texas where there doesn't appear to be any gamers. However, I am always hopeful.

I am looking forward to BRP and using it to flesh out some ideas I have for . . . wait for it . . . yet another fantasy world and/or a western.

Thanks,

Leofwyn

Hello there, I am an old-timer with BRP. I have played it on and off since 2nd ed CoC, and I am excited to see it finally getting the edition it deserves. For intuitiveness and disappearing into the background, I find it one of the best systems ever.

I have ed zero and I am really enjoying reading it. The trouble is - what to run first!

Hello

I am a long time BRP player starting with RQ2 in'79. I also have played and own Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer and Pendragon. RQ3 is my favorite version. RQ Vikings was used as the basis of two of the three campaigns that I have ever run (the other was an AD&D campaign in college).

I own the MRQ version.

I am eager to see the new BRP version, to run someday some adventures in Prax/Pavis. But if that Mythic Isles is released maybe ... I go Viking again.

Hey all,

I finally got around to registering for the forums, which I should have done a long time ago.

My name's Ben, and some of you might know me from other forums (RPG.net is where I spend most of my forum time). I've been a big BRP fan since discovering RQII back in 1981 or so, and I've done a little work for Chaosium over the years.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

My very first roleplaying experiences were with 4th ed. Stormbringer, and I find myself being consistantly drawn back to the game and the setting after periodic deviations with other games.

As the editor of that book, and the author of the 4th edition magic system, let me tell you how thrilled I am to hear that.

:D

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.