Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Ahh well my son is 4.5 yrs old, and my biggest problem is keeping him out of my dice bag. As soon as I can if he is interested, I'll run him and or his friends through any campaign they want. My buddy from junior high ran both his kids through adventures when they were younger.

Mick

"Always let the NPC's open the doors."

Mike McIntyre, Plymouth Junior High, 1979

Hi gang,

My name's Ken Murphy. I'm a native of Southern California, and I've been gaming since soon after I'd overheard an accquanitence going on about a dungeon crawl way back in 77. Joining my first game soon after, the fish hook of gaming was firmly planted in the roof of my mouth.

Played LWB (little white box) D&D off-n-on until I read Steve Perrin's 'zine in an APA announcing the arrival of Runequest with "D&D is a thing of the past" as the headline. The article made good sense to me, and I've been a dedicated RQer/ BRP player ever since.

Over the years our group never really bothered using the Gloranthan setting; prefering various flavors of homebrewing. At some point my high school era campaign wrapped up with sinking below the waves.

A few years later I was reading up on ancient history and gnawing my way through Norse sagas and Irish epics, and decided to do a Alternate Earth camapign focused on epic era Ireland. The Irish campaign ran off-n-on for more than a decade.

Relocating to the Southern US in '91, I hooked up with another group of gamers, and we've been playing various stripes of BRP ever since.

Best,

-Ken-

Hmmm, intro thread.

I'm Jeff Moeller. I'm an immigration attorney in Cleveland, OH, previously from Anchorage, AK. I write RPG stuff in my spare time. Currently between groups and have been for a while. Stuff I've written for BRP/Cthulhu include Mortal Coils (Pagan, 1998), TRV3:OOTV (Pagan, 2002) and The Primal State monograph (2007). I just bumbled on to this site, which is good, because my BRP monograph has been in house for a while and is supposed to be out in June. I'll start a new thread discussing here in a bit.

I wrote all this junk and accept full credit or blame:

Mortal Coils:

http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=1216

Out of the Vault: http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=395

The Primal State:

http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=7056

Ashes, to Ashes (& soon, Dust to Dust):

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14290.phtml

Lost in the Lights (coming soon):

http://yog-sothoth.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17334

Over the years our group never really bothered using the Gloranthan setting; prefering various flavors of homebrewing. At some point my high school era campaign wrapped up with sinking below the waves.

A few years later I was reading up on ancient history and gnawing my way through Norse sagas and Irish epics, and decided to do a Alternate Earth camapign focused on epic era Ireland. The Irish campaign ran off-n-on for more than a decade.

Relocating to the Southern US in '91, I hooked up with another group of gamers, and we've been playing various stripes of BRP ever since.

Best,

-Ken-

Welcome to BRP Central MurfinMS! What kind of BRP incarnation are you playing now?

Hmmm, intro thread.

I'm Jeff Moeller. I'm an immigration attorney in Cleveland, OH, previously from Anchorage, AK. I write RPG stuff in my spare time. Currently between groups and have been for a while. Stuff I've written for BRP/Cthulhu include Mortal Coils (Pagan, 1998), TRV3:OOTV (Pagan, 2002) and The Primal State monograph (2007). I just bumbled on to this site, which is good, because my BRP monograph has been in house for a while and is supposed to be out in June. I'll start a new thread discussing here in a bit.

:happy: Please do! Welcome to the forum neorxnawang!

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Richard Gorman, have posted on Mongoose Forums and GURPs Tarveller as Captain Skip. Started in 1980 on arrival at Aberdeen University where I set up Aberdeen University D+D Society with friends. Obsessive playing of D+D (I was young and naive...and it was fun!) the wonderful Traveller for some years. Since then Cthulhu, Runequest (3rd preferably), Ars Magica, Trinity, Space 1889, Golden Heroes, Judge Dredd, Boot Hill, Gamma World, Middle Earth, Rolemaster, Paladium, Harn, GURPs, Bushido, 'Spacequest' (My SF BRP adaptation), Skyrealms of Jorune, Paranoia, Star Trek, Chill, Mage etc etc. (Of course, inevitably, wrote own system ('Gladius') and unique (Obsessively detailed) setting which almost saw the light of day in the 90's and played well for many years). Love BRP which, like most I suspect, I got into through RQ and CoC. Adored RQ3. It had a few flaws (Some daft spells and confused magic rules, slightly over complex fatigue and character improvement systems...some way of introducing character background quirks, a less melodramatic version of the Ars Magica virtues and Flaws system would have been nice ) but these were easily fixed with simple house rules making it adaptable and detailed. I guess I had hoped this is what Mongoose would have done. Two decades of in depth hardcore campaigning followed around my own fantasy world (Which later introduced bastardised Gloranthan elements). Joy.

Got my hopes up but was seriously disappointed by what I saw of Mongoose Runequest with its broken combat table and very poorly thought out armour, high skills and crit rules. Excited to see BRP realeases on the way...just before my birthday to! Family circumstances have rather ruined my gaming opportunities but methinks I might be buying myself a wee birthday present on June 13th! Good luck with the forum and publications.

Kevin here from Vancouver Island - I've been playing RPGs for more than 20 years, a lot of that time as a game master. I'm looking forward to the BRP final release ( I have a proof copy - very cool!) and converting some of my games to BRP.

Currently working on several BRP projects relating to Call of Cthulhu and looking forward to seeing the full system in action!

312/420 BRP0

I'm from Sweden, been playing for 15 years, but with a break for five six year and recently started playing again. The main thing I like about BRP is that it gets out of the way quickly. It aint a system that wants to be seen. It kind of stays in the shadows until it's called for, then it comes out, does its thing and then continues to lurk in the dark until the next time it is needed to settle this or that.

At the moment I run a CoC campaign and a Deadlands campaign (reloaded with Savage Worlds rules). I also dream of getting time to run some Spirit of the Century, find people to play Polaris with and get drunk and play Baron Munchhausen. Well that's it I think. =)

Greetings. My name is Gerald E. Kuster and I was born in December of 1962.

I started roleplaying back with the very first edition of D&D. Back when it was just 3 small books in a brown box.

Since then I've played every genre of rpg that has ever been released. Although nowadays I tend more toward horror, pulp, and, sword and sorcery style games. I started BRP games back with the first edition of CoC. From there I moved into Stormbringer, Ringworld, Cthulhu by Gaslight, Hawkmoon, and, Elfquest.

I'm eger to the BRP system book since I'm looking to pick up something that serve as a foundation system to several ideas that I have for interconnected settings.

Welcome to BRP Central MurfinMS! What kind of BRP incarnation are you playing now?

Right NOW, our mob is currently playing homebrew RQ; all using the group modified house rules (which were modified prior to me joining the mix) which is still essentially RQ3, with some Uber-Ikky RQ4 mechanics grafted on (Fatigue levels and pre and post melee meovement? *Feh!*) and, increasingly, some Mongoose mechanics, including the dropping of SR for action ranks; the only good side of which *I* see from the switch is that movement actually happes *during* melee again--which, as a fan of RQ3, *I* prefer.

On the occasion I end up running anything, I still use my only

*slightly* modified RQ3 (with some pretty minor rulesy bits cadged from CoC/DG, BRP, Elric, Heroes magazine, the WWWeb, and a somewhat simplified version of Sandy's Sorcery Rules).

As for whats on the horizon, the guy currently running our RQ game is getting tired of running anf wants to *play* again. Two of the others want to run stuff again; one her homebrew RQ world she's been running off-n-on since it was D&D, while the other wants to run a Post Apocalypse gaem which, on hearing about it, is essentially a Rifts game, but using BRPish rules.

In addition to the 2 previously=mentioned RQ games, in the past we've played several stripes of Cthulhu (*with* and *without* Cthulhu) /Modern Horror drifting toward a cyberpunky near future using BRPish mechanics; a Shadowrun game using same; a cool Highlander/ World Newton game uisng same; and a Cyberpunk/ Rifts game using CP2020 mechanics.

-Ken-

In addition to the 2 previously=mentioned RQ games, in the past we've played several stripes of Cthulhu (*with* and *without* Cthulhu) /Modern Horror drifting toward a cyberpunky near future using BRPish mechanics; a Shadowrun game using same; a cool Highlander/ World Newton game uisng same; and a Cyberpunk/ Rifts game using CP2020 mechanics.

"World Newton"? What's this?

Tedankhamen in Kyoto here :happy: Got into gaming in '89, played DnD, GURPS, and various others but always loved my Stormbringer and Cthulhu. Been a bit too busy for gaming the past few years with grad school, job hunting, marriage, and births and deaths, but now have time and inclination but few people to play with:confused: here in Japan.

I'll check the site out for a bit then decide how or what I can contribute. I also am wondering if someone could post the old 3rd-4th edition Stormbringer Nationalities and Classes tables - I lost mine in one of my frequent moves and all I have now is my Elric! book:eek:

Cheers!

G'day All,

I'm Mike, from Moncton, New Brunswick in Canada. Began gaming when I was around 10 (ie 1983) and I had a crush on the box set D&D Cleric. :) When I was younger, our longest campaigns were AD&D but we of course dabbled in whatever else was out there. At university I began to run games myself, and I focused on Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun & Earthdawn.

Haven't gamed regularly in some time, particularly since I work at call centres which means crappy shifts. I'm about to finally have a "day shift" in about two weeks, and when I have my evenings free gaming here I come! I was involved with the BRP playtest early on (I think I was WolfTouched, or maybe WolfInTheGlen back then), but again didn't have time.

My wife is a gamer (thank the gods!), we have a nice old house we share with our dog and three cats. We're pretty square, and proud of it. :)

Looking forward to a bit of talking. :thumb:

EDIT: I did recently spend lots of money buying a bunch of GURPS books, but it seemed overly complex. I still feel I should give it a try. SJ does such a great job with FRAG! (PvP version, of course) and the MUNCHKIN games (World of Dorkness), as well as an amazing community and great support, that I feel like he deserves that I give GURPS a try. Someday, maybe.

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

http://web.mac.com/boghouse/iWeb

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

~You've Got Mail (1998 film)

Tedankhamen in Kyoto here :happy:

Welcome, tedankhamen - How's the weather over there?

Been a bit too busy for gaming the past few years with grad school, job hunting, marriage, and births and deaths, but now have time and inclination but few people to play with :confused: here in Japan.

Have you heard of the Japanese International Gaming Group?

The JIGG is on yahoo groups under gaming, and it's a bunch of non-Japanese all over that particular nation who are looking for gamers... I heard about them on the Godzilla Gaming Podcast, from people on the ground in J-land.

You should look 'em up - odds are good, you'll find someone interested in doing some gaming in your area.

My wife is a gamer (thank the gods!), we have a nice old house we share with our dog and three cats. We're pretty square, and proud of it. :)

Looking forward to a bit of talking. :thumb:

Howdy and welcome - Congrats on the gamer-spouse! If only my Lovely Wife enjoyed the hobby... Ah well!

EDIT: I did recently spend lots of money buying a bunch of GURPS books, but it seemed overly complex. I still feel I should give it a try. SJ does such a great job with FRAG! (PvP version, of course) and the MUNCHKIN games (World of Dorkness), as well as an amazing community and great support, that I feel like he deserves that I give GURPS a try. Someday, maybe.

You could do far, far worse than spend some time reading GURPS sourcebooks for background information! SJG does some of the best researched gaming books outside of Osprey I've seen. The fact that all their units are seconds, dollars, feet, and lbs makes converting to and from relatively simple, too.

Here's to your next time at the table; enjoy your game!

Emerging from my Dark Age...

"World Newton"? What's this?

I remember it from a Wwwebsite dealing with Philip Jose Farmer's writings. Don't know if its still even around anymore, but it went to the trouble of tying together almost every pulp/adventure character into existing in a single fictional universe. I'm assuming that this is exactly what Framer was doing in his writings (never having read any Farmer myself).

The Highlander game we were involved in several years back was set in the late 30s, and over its length we met, in addition to our mentor, Duncan McCleod, Lord Greystoke, Bulldog Drummond, a young James Bond, Doc Savage, Lamont Cranston, and several other pulp standards.

The guy running the Highlander game stopped suddenly, dropping us all like hot potatoes because he wanted to start up a game using the brand-spanking *new* (at that time) D&D 3rd with a different set of gamers.

One of the current gang is a big Highlander fan, and I think she'd do a great job running a Highlander game, but she is contemplating running a RQ game set in a pseudo-mythical African setting instead.

Best,

=Ken-

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If I were a Sea Otter, I'd have to eat 200

Quarterpounders a day just to

stay alive!"

[An unattributed comment overheard while my daughter

was watching Animal Planet]

I think that he ment "Wold-Newton".

It's one of the most interesting, and convoluted, sites on the 'net. If your a fan of mixing and matching characters from different time periods.

You can check it out at, Philip jose Farmer's Wold-Newton

Okay, I thought it was *World*.

My bad :)

Good to see its still there...

-Ken-

"When I say, 'Fetch beer!' you'll put your pennies

together and pick up beer for Tiny.

If I only get enough beer I'll be silky as a kitten.

But if I'm out of beer" - he made a long pause and

looked around him ominously -

"may God Almighty have mercy on you!"

[sven Hassel, Legion of the Damned]

Hello Folks!

My name is Haroldo Curti e Silva, from Brazil. I kinda like new stuff, and recently, looking for good stuff to read I got here, at BRP.

I roleplay since 92, tried a lot of different stuff but in my heart lies the White-wolf-money-maker series WOD and WOD II (Werewolf, Demon and Changelling...).

I'm in a CoC game set in the 20's, preparing some medieval stuff to run next year.

My group is Called Oblivion RPG and we use to organize here at my city some meetings... I don't think much here will be interested (mostly 'cause it's in portuguese) but we have a little website and a forum. oblivionrpg.com is the adress.

Hope to contribute with something over here.

Cheers!

Haroldo Curti:D

Magic is Gone.

In an earlier post, I'd written:

>The guy running the Highlander game stopped suddenly, dropping us all like >hot potatoes because he wanted to start up a game using the brand->spanking *new* (at that time) D&D 3rd with a different set of gamers.

I believe I'm actually talking *4th* edition D&D here? The one with the open gaming lisence and all those freaking big hardbacks from a couple years back? I am woefully ignorant of current D&D shenanagins (thank goodness ;P)...

Best,

-Ken-

Darren from Melbourne, Australia.

Played DnD for 25 years....just started a Call of Cthulhu campaign. Whilst looking at the site, have seen the BRP rules, and must say, they certainly interest me.

Even more of interest is some of the stuff I have seen on this site.

I have played DnD for 25 years, as stated, but I much preferred the old RQ system... Mongoose Publishing's version hasn't really tickled my fancy, but this looks like it will...

Cheers

Darren