Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Greetings, all,

I am grakklthorp, aka Jim, hailing from Arlington, Texas. I am a longtime gamer, both as player and gamemaster, beginning with Chainmail in '79 or so, and progressing through various forms of D&D and Chaosium products. Worlds of Wonder was always my favorite set of systems.

Pleased to make all of your acquaintances.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Michael, aka. 'Sosthenes'. I'm 31, currently working as a programmer in Bavaria, Germany. I haven't been playing BRP(-based games) for quite a while, but it looks like that'll change pretty soon. So I'm here to ask stupid questions and Knockback some butt.

If I remember correctly, the RQ III Deluxe Box was the 3rd or 4th RPG I ever bought, when I asked the clerk about something a bit more realistic. That was quite a while ago, but still holds true...

of the U.S. that is... I've posted elsewhere already but just found this thread and thought I'd contribute.

thekobold, a.k.a. "Rob" - thekobold being chosen as my name here as I've been out of role playing games for over 20 years and recall the kobold as one of the lowest and most humble (in a sense) of monsters: suitable for 1st levels to go out and slay. newbie fodder, you might say. so go easy on me folks. I have yet to even play a BRP game, and only got my copy in the mail a short while ago. I've played a wide variety of games (dating back to an earlier era of course), most of which being D&D 1st edition and the early Traveller, but including (1st edition of everything I think), Paranoia, Gamma World, Aftermath, Merc (original), Top Secret, Bruce Galloway's "Fantasy Wargaming", and a host of other more obscure & fly by night rpg's from the same time period (generally '78-'86). I might even be considered "old school": I seem to remember gaming via play by post on BBSes before the internet was born. Dang I'm gettin' old!

--

edit: going through all this thread's posts, I'm glad to see so many pencil & paper fans my age...don't feel so old now. phew!

Edited by thekobold

Oh, hey, I suppose I should drop in and introduce myself. Some may know me, others may not, but I've been part of the gaming community for a long time. I've played Chaosium since perhaps '84, and the BRP in all it's incarnations has been one of my favorite game systems. The ones I played the most are Stormbinger, Runequest, CoC and Ringworld. After picking up the BRP rules, it rekindled my interest in the system. And so... here I am.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from Atlantic Canada! My name is Jason Williams.

I usually post over on the Yog-Sothoth forum or the Acaeum but Chad Bowser sent me a note that my name had been mentioned in the BRP Adventures thread so I thought I would drop by and say hello.

Quick introduction:

I started gaming back in 1978 with the D&D white box rules and discovered Call of Cthulhu / BRP in 1982.

I have been playing/collecting Call of Cthulhu books ever since.

Personal life in the last few years have gotten in the way of me doing much actual gaming but I am hoping that will change in the near future.

Over the last few years I have been doing a bit of writing and have had several monographs published by Chaosium (Undying Leaders, Mysteries of Tibet and Mysteries of Sudan).

At the moment I am working on a campaign setting based on my scenario that was included in the BRP Adventures monograph. (Down the road I will be looking for playtesters).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Ron Blessing, here. I've been roleplaying for 25 years but honestly have little experience with BRP. I played in a short CoC campaign in the early '90s, wherein my first character stepped into a door that seemed to lead to outer space. Apparently, it did. Oops. Aside from being a fan of HPL's works, my next contact with CoC was last year when I played in a one-shot at a local gaming event. Not only did I live through that one, but I was the one of the few.

These days I manage a game store (not own), do some freelance editing in the RPG industry, and host and produce a gaming podcast. I primarily GM (as a preference, not a curse), but recently I've been playing more.

I bought the new BRP core book last year and am just now diving in. A listener of my show told me about this community.

Ron Blessing

Host of The Game's the Thing, a podcast about tabletop games

My name is joey, But Im Known As HANZO On all different gaming forums over the last 14+ years. I'm my groups primary GM for just about 20yrs. I used to own the old runequest box set (one with people on stairs). We played it quiet a bit back in middle school and high school. We often used it for running all our other game worlds in. One of the few campaigns I ever got to play in was a Runequest game set in Darksun. But that box set got lost after a few moves.

Although I own and have GM'd a lot of different games in the past, every edition of D&D and AD&D up to 3E, gamma world, Wasteworld, HERO/champions, Cyberpunk 2020, shadowrun, FUDGE/FATE, GURPS, TORG, and tons and tons of systems I cant even remember any more. Iv also designed about 12 homebrew systems and games. Some still being used by my friends and their friends almost 15yrs later.

These days I mostly run true20, Mutants and masterminds, Savage worlds, and FUDGE/FATE. And now Im totally grooving on the BRP system. I think its going to move its way into my core games.

Oh and I just might be the fan of Ron's show who pointed hit to this site. :)

Hello

My name is Kjetil Kverndokken, 27 year old, got a wife and in a few days a daughter to.

Got in to Rpg 9 years ago with CoC. 99.99% of the time I'm the GM, but hell, I love it. a list of games I'm hosting is:

Call of Cthulhu (My sweetheart)

Trail of Cthulhu (Love the system)

New and Old World of Darkness (all the lines and great games)

Cthulhutech (fantastic setting, good rules)

Warhammer (easy rules, good setting)

Dark Heresy (not so great as warhammer)

Exalted (fun, but clunky rules)

Scion (same as above)

Burning Wheel (good rules, but long learning curve that scares players)

Burning Empires (same as above)

Mouse Guard (same as above but much simpler)

Dungeon and Dragons 4th ed (dropped 3.5) (when you just feel like dungeon crawling)

Coriolis (Swedish, fantastic space game)

Itras By (Norwegian, funny and really good surrealistic game)

That looks about it.

Also I'm creating a Post Apocalyptic setting of my own

Brent Jord (Burned Soil/Earth) that I'm thinking of using Brp for.

And a fantasy setting called: Tåkenes Øy (Island of Mist) that currently I have been using Burning Wheel for, but I think my players are having a hard time with it, so I'm thinking at using Brp there to.

And that was a little about me, so if you live around Bergen in Norway, or better yet on Sotra (I'm originally from Larvik), give a holar and maybe a game can be set up.

Tea and Madness

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently 37 years old, I live in the Netherlands and started my first CoC scenario about halfway last year. I have been playing and running RPGs since 1992 - GURPS (in varying settings: fantasy, cyberpunk, starwars, pirates), Warhammer Fantasy, Over the Edge, Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Trinity, Vampire: The Dark Ages, Noir and KULT - but only got drawn into all stuff Lovecraftian in 2004, when I met my Mexican girlfriend who recommended Lovecraft's horror stories to me.

While I was checking bookstores for a collection of stories to my liking I remembered a copy of CoC (I think it was 5th edition) sitting practically unused on the bookshelf of a friend of mine. He had mentioned it occasionally to me but never got into running it with our RPG group. I borrowed the book, read it, and immediately ordered a copy of the 6th edition for myself. Since then I have been hooked.

I have too many interests to mention them all but generally each of them is more or less related to one of the following themes: old sci-fi and horror films, anthropology and archaeology esp. of Mesoamerica, drums, animals and natural history, photography, reading, RPGs.

I prefer horror and sci-fi over pure fantasy films, books and games.

I was introduced to BRP through CoC and am now waiting for the basic rulebook to arrive in the mail. The main reason for finally ordering it is that some of the upcoming supplements and settings for BRP seem very interesting for using with CoC.

Something I haven't seen yet but would definitely be interested in is a BRP supplement enabling you to add space travel to the classic 1920s setting of Call of Cthulhu and set scenarios on other planets of our solar system, as they were imagined in period sci-fi literature (For example making Venus a world of jungles and swamps in habited by intelligent amphibian/reptilian humanoids.)

Edited by Vorax Transtellaris
RPGbericht (Dutch)

Hi y'all. I've been a RP gamer since 1975. Started RQ in 1982 and after ten year gap where the only group I could muster wanted to play D&D, I am finally getting back to RQ. The arrival of BRP has definitely helped. The last game we played was RQ:AiG but it was a bit too complex. I am not a fan of MRQ. I won't speak ill of the rules or those that enjoy playing it. It just does not appeal to me.

My one wish - to see Glorantha reunited with BRP in a modern and up-to-date RuneQuest.

Something I haven't seen yet but would definitely be interested in is a BRP supplement enabling you to add space travel to the classic 1920s setting of Call of Cthulhu and set scenarios on other planets of our solar system, as they were imagined in period sci-fi literature (For example making Venus a world of jungles and swamps in habited by intelligent amphibian/reptilian humanoids.)

The coming "Interplanetary" or Cthulhu Rising might be of interest.

My one wish - to see Glorantha reunited with BRP in a modern and up-to-date RuneQuest.

Your wish is one shared by many but not likely to be fullfilled.

Welcome to the forum Vorax Transtellaris ang crosswiredmind! :-)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Hi, all you geezers :cool:

I'm only 18 and have been roleplaying for some 3 years now.

I come from Lithuania, Vilnius and my current occupation is "High school student"

Before BRP I've only played GURPS (excluding cons) and Basic Role Playing was the first game I've ever bought. Have only invested in Mongoose Traveller since. The exchange rate between the Litas and the Dollar makes it somewhat an expensive hobby.

For the better half of this school year I've been running my first rpg game ever and used BRP, due to group drama that game is toast so now I've started cooking up another. Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been silently lurking hereabouts for some time now. As I have already broken my silence for other reasons, I figured I should probably go ahead and formally introduce myself.

As I see from reading the other introductions, I am not alone in being a bit of a geezer. I was introduced to gaming by some friends on a playground in New York, nearly 30 years ago, and have been an avid collector and sporadic player of games since then.

Chaosium games have been some of the most successful gaming experiences I have had. Back in college, I ran a brief but very creepy Call of Cthulhu game, and later ran the Rogue Mistress campaign with the Elric! game.

I picked up the BRP rules, and have been (slowly) working on writing a sort of modernized Planetary Romance setting. I posted about it over on RPG.net, here, and was promptly directed to this website, and Jason Durall's forthcoming Interplanetary book.

I've also got some thoughts about doing a fantasy setting as well. Possibly I'll be able to make use of your assistance in developing my stray notions into something real.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm a veteran gamer (late 30's) and have played many game systems, including some homebrews. My all-time favorite by a wide margin had to be RQ2 (the Golden Age of RuneQuest in my opinion!), so as I've gotten back into gaming after a hiatus, I was very happy to stumble across BRP and this website.

I'm currently working on fleshing out a campaign that's a combination of fantasy and post-apocalypse (the technology that brought about the apocalypse wasn't Earth-like at all).

Well hello, all!

I have to say that I'm a bit intimidated here, seeing how well versed most of you folk are. Much to my own dismay, I'm quite the neophyte when it comes to gaming though I've always had an interest for it.

My earliest game experience was a brief play of Rifts as a child, though it never went anywhere. After that, I was roped into a few sessions of D&D here and there through the years. Eventually I founded a love interest for the works of H.P. Lovecraft, so I quickly turned to Call of Cthulhu - which I occasionally attempt to run with a group of friends who aren't really into this brand of gaming as a general rule. But they're pleasantly receptive.

Of course, the hardest part is that I don't know many people who ARE into these things, so there aren't many places I can turn to for help. I'm pretty sure I've got the basics, but I'm also pretty positive that I'm lacking a lot as a GM. Of course this fact hasn't stopped me from trying to put together a fairly silly personal project of mine - which is what largely brings me here.

Compared to the times I've played D&D, I much prefer the feel of BRP and I adore just how malleable it is. So I figured this would be the best place to go to improve my tactics and scrounge up whatever neat things I can to help me out.

I may be bad at it now, but I'm hoping to get better and keep it up till I'm good and dead! I've certainly prattled on enough - I look forward to my stay here!

"Life itself is only a vision. A dream. Nothing exists, save empty space and you. And you... are but a thought."

I have to say that I'm a bit intimidated here, seeing how well versed most of you folk are.

We're just full of hot air, so don't be intimidated.

Much to my own dismay, I'm quite the neophyte when it comes to gaming though I've always had an interest for it.

There's nothing better about having gamed for a long time than having just started gaming. We just have more anecdotes that we repeat endlessly.

Of course, the hardest part is that I don't know many people who ARE into these things, so there aren't many places I can turn to for help.

Forums such as these will help a lot, hopefully. We all have times where we have run into a problem that we need advice about. A lot of us have run into the same issues time and time again, which is where experience can help. So, ask away - we don't bite.

I'm pretty sure I've got the basics, but I'm also pretty positive that I'm lacking a lot as a GM.

We all get that. I, for one, am continually amazed that people still turn up for our weekly RQ sessions and always seem to feel that I am GMing by the seat of my pants. Looking at some of the posts, it amazes me that I don't do a lot of stuff as a GM that other poeple do naturally.

Compared to the times I've played D&D, I much prefer the feel of BRP and I adore just how malleable it is. So I figured this would be the best place to go to improve my tactics and scrounge up whatever neat things I can to help me out.

BRP is a lot more flexible than D&D, and RQ is a lot more flexible than BRP, in my opinion. This is definitely the place for tactics and ideas.

I may be bad at it now, but I'm hoping to get better and keep it up till I'm good and dead! I've certainly prattled on enough - I look forward to my stay here!

You get better by doing it, same as anything. If you can't get a local game, apart from the CoC game, have you tried PBEM (Play by Email)? That can be good, if you get enough players who can spare the time. Where do you live? Are there any gaming conventions near you? They are good for one-off gaming sessions - you can also bring along a scenario and run it, getting more practice.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here