Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Hello DiracSquid, I trust you're already aware of the Call of Cthulhu & Lovecraft forums at - Yog-Sothoth for Lovecraft & Cthulhu -? Definitely check them out if you haven't already!

Oh yes! I've been there off and on, though I confess I probably haven't used its resources quite as much as I should. It seems like a great place for information - I fully intend to start poking around there once I get my Call of Cthulhu game back on course. Thank you for the recommendation though!

And thank you, soltakss, for an unexpectedly extensive though delightful reply! Unfortunately, due to horrible scheduling and my own lack of preparations - our games tend to be pretty infrequent. Though a friend of mine recently invited me to a weekly Call of Cthulhu game that'll be starting up soon. It'll be my first time just getting to be an investigator, and I'm really looking forward to it. I figure it'll be a terrific learning experience, getting to see how somebody with more practice runs the game.

I live somewhere near Philadelphia, in a place that's sort of lacking a gamer's spirit. Honestly, I'm not really sure about conventions - Since I'm still pretty new, I haven't really checked around for events that I could get out to. But I'm very intrigued by the notion of playing by email. I'm very curious as to how that works out - it sort of sounds like it may be a nice way to keep up with games when we can't schedule something properly.

I must thank you both for such kindness. Honestly, I'm sort of surprised - I'm not used to forums being so darn nice to newcomers.

"Life itself is only a vision. A dream. Nothing exists, save empty space and you. And you... are but a thought."

I have been gaming since 1980 Walpurgis eve in fact. And have loved it. RQ was my third game after DnD and Traveller. I recieved as a gift from a near stranger, who just tossed the book to me as I was a "college" kid and a gamer. Never saw the guy since. Shortly after I started gaming all sorts of things. And though I preferred BRP types systems. I was stuck GMing other sheeple systems. Over the years, I have run RQ, CoC , Elfquest, Elric, HAwkmoon,and Nephilim. All of which I enjoyed. I have also run odd games, Like Other Suns and other FGU games. My CoC campaign ran about 15 years.

I think BRP is the easiest Most adaptable system around. And am Slowly adapting alot of my favorite settings to BRP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here. :)

I'm Anthony and, since I'm the new kid on the block, I thought I should introduce myself. I've been playing and GMing rpgs since 1975, when the three original D&D booklets showed up in my local hobby shop. I was hooked from the start. I stuck with D&D through AD&D 2E, but then I discovered games more to my tastes and rules more to my liking. Call of Cthulhu, WFRP (1E), Runequest, homebrews with GURPS and HERO, Deadlands, and even Vampire, among others. (I also freelanced in the industry from the mid-90s through a few years ago, working for several companies.) While I'm more interested in settings than I am rules, after experiencing a bunch of different systems, I've become certain that BRP hits that right balance (for me) between simplicity and crunch, and it's very easy for newbies to understand. So, it's become my system of choice.

But, in recent years, I'd drifted away from playing or running games, except once a year at GenCon, and my interest in the hobby was at low ebb. That started to change when I began reading Grognardia, the old-school/retro-gaming blog of my friend James Maliszewski. After a while, it got me interested in putting a group together again, so I started re-reading the Cyclopedia version of D&D, which to me is the best version of that game. But, after a while, all my old irritations with D&D-style games started coming back: classes & levels, inflating hit points, armor classes – lots of stuff.

So, instead of fighting with D&D to make it work the way I wanted, I decided it would be better to go with the system that felt most natural to me: BRP. So, I went online to see what resources were available (I was planning to mix and match from Stormbringer and CoC), and that's when I ran across this board, and made the happy discovery that the BRP core book had finally come out last year. (Yes, I'm clueless. I had missed that completely. D'oh!) I ordered a copy online and I'm waiting eagerly for it to reach my twitching hands.

So, why am I here? I want to use BRP to either build my own dark fantasy setting, or adapt WFRP's Old World, my favorite published fantasy setting. I haven't decided which I'll do yet, but I'm hoping to post things here for critique and advice, particularly about how best to implement BRP, since I expect I'll be doing lots of customizing. (Cue sounds of hammering and drilling....)

Plus it will be fun to chat with like-minded gamers. :D

Anyway, that's the long and short of my story. I'm happy to meet you all and glad to be here. :thumb:

Edited by Barliman

Thanks for the welcome, Sverre. :)

The dark fantasy (maybe "dark swords and sorcery" is more accurate) setting I had in mind is something that's been floating around in the back of my mind for years: the thematic struggle, rather than being between Law and Chaos, is between Life and Unlife, so the main opponents would be the undead and those aligned with them.

The setting itself would be analogous to England in the mid-16th century, but with a weaker, more fragile monarchy. The Renaissance is one of my favorite periods of History, and this is the period when swords, armor, and guns are all on the scene.

Beyond that, I've made up very few details. :o

...the thematic struggle, rather than being between Law and Chaos, is between Life and Unlife, so the main opponents would be the undead and those aligned with them.

Hmm. I've long wondered: why do we so often set up "thematic struggles". Does life (which fiction is based on) really have any theme? Every person has their own ideas on what's important. For most people throughout history, it's just been getting through from day to day.

I think a lot of it comes from D&D's alignment system. It forces everybody to stake a position on 2 struggles (good/evil & law/chaos), and makes everything revolve around that. But take, for instance, the knights in Britain & France. Each side thought it was right, both "served God", yet neither was in any objective sense good or evil. They were simply national opponents. The only real theme there is Us vs. Them.

Similarly, humans vs. orcs isn't really about good vs. evil. It's just Us vs. Them.

Hmm. I've long wondered: why do we so often set up "thematic struggles".

Well, in my case, it's that a theme helps me while developing a setting, something to bear in mind while placing nations and peoples, or thinking of its history, religions, and mythology.

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression: I'm not planning on having a tight storyline or metaplot that the players have to follow (I hated that when a GM did it to us), though NPCs will have their own plots that will move independently of the players.

Rather, I see this as a sandbox campaign in which the players largely find their own adventures and set the direction for the campaign -- if it has a direction at all. ;) The theme of Life vs. Unlife is more an aid for me.

Hello all,

Bighara here. I've prowled many an RPG-board, but only recently found this place. I've played BRP off & on in one form or another since RQ2 was a new game. I just got the new BRP compendium/monster tome and am looking at it as a possible system for a Conan-esqe game I'd like to run in my own setting.

• 2 weeks later...

While I've played some 1-shots of Call of Cthulhu, I've never used the system in other games. I have a feeling that BRP will be my system of choice for all my genres of gaming.

I plan on getting the book soon, and I'm excited about digging into it.

My gaming life has had a meandering course: D&D, Heroquest (the board game), LOTR Adventure Game, Rolemaster Standard System, Hunter:the Reckoning, D&D 3rd & 3.5, World of Darkness, H.A.R.P., and now BRP. :)

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients

http://samwise7.yolasite.com (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, Etc.)

• 1 month later...

thanks

I boned up my profile bio bit

RPG:

started playing in the Army in 1998, DnD. the 2nd ed, the 3rd (which now I refrain from d20 systems), attempted 4th but alas it is a table top hack slash WoW and there for not my cup of tea.

I have a campaign setting I DM. I hope to have some BRP stuff about it posted someday soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy folks, I'm Bruce... I've been RPGing since 1979. Oddly enough, my only real experience with BRP is via Pendragon which I consider my favorite all-time game. Recently, I've been looking for a non-battlemat generic system and realized that I had completely overlooked BRP.

Currently, I'm playing in a D&D 4E game, and I've been toying around with Mouse Guard in addition to my "generic" project.

Howdy folks, I'm Bruce... I've been RPGing since 1979. Oddly enough, my only real experience with BRP is via Pendragon which I consider my favorite all-time game. Recently, I've been looking for a non-battlemat generic system and realized that I had completely overlooked BRP.

Currently, I'm playing in a D&D 4E game, and I've been toying around with Mouse Guard in addition to my "generic" project.

Welcome to BRP Central Bruce! :)

BRP is definitely worth checking out.

Grim and gritty, and no battlemats whatsoever! ;)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Welcome Bruce! I recently picked up Mouse Guard but haven't gotten round to studying it in more detail. Do you think there would be people interested in a Mouse Guard BRP conversion?
RPGbericht (Dutch)

Do you think there would be people interested in a Mouse Guard BRP conversion?

That's a tough question. I have people that are interested in the mechanics of MG, but they aren't into the setting in the least.

That said, personally, I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen more Mouse Guard, Redwall, Mice Templar, etc... conversions/games out there.

Oh... and thanks for the welcomes!