Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

On 8/28/2019 at 3:08 PM, SNaomiScott said:

Howdy folks!

A certain barbarian suggested I should stick my head 'round the door and introduce myself, so here I am...

Hmmmmm.  "A certain barbarian" is seeming awfully well-socialized and law-abiding and... well... civilized these days.

Welcome to BRPCentral, in any case!   👍

But I'm having a hard time reconciling this...

... I once ran a game of RQIII for my cat - he played a Minotaur...

with this...

... I tend to come down hard on rules lawyers and munchkins when they put themselves in my line of sight...

I experience cats as being very rules-lawyer-y, with rules like  "I'ma sleep here now"  &  "oooo!  critical NPC/map/whatever... excellent for kneading/shredding!"  &  "now we are playing MY game, and MY game is run all over the house hunting imaginary pixies & causing mayhem"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 hours ago, g33k said:

Hmmmmm.  "A certain barbarian" is seeming awfully well-socialized and law-abiding and... well... civilized these days.

Welcome to BRPCentral, in any case!   👍

Thanks for the welcome. 😁

I experience cats as being very rules-lawyer-y, with rules like  "I'ma sleep here now"  &  "oooo!  critical NPC/map/whatever... excellent for kneading/shredding!"  &  "now we are playing MY game, and MY game is run all over the house hunting imaginary pixies & causing mayhem"

Ah, this is because you never met Tribble. He just wanted to be part of the group and play with the shiny dice. And occasionally knock everything off the table for no apparent reason. 😋

On 9/2/2019 at 7:57 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

Bill the barbarian: Now in his 6th decade of debunking stereotypes!

Sharing soup recipes at the campfire? Or are you one of the Silver Horde with their diamond dentistry?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

18 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Sharing soup recipes at the campfire? Or are you one of the Silver Horde with their diamond dentistry?

Oh good lords and ladies, of course <slaps forehead>. You said Cohen the Barbarian.  My bad. Now it begins to make sense.,

For the rest of ya, Joerg just IM'ed me with this reminder

I hope the confusion smiley doesn't mean you haven't heard of Cohen the Barbarian or his Silver Horde? (Cohen featuring already in The Light Fantastic, and with his Silver Horde prominently in Interesting Times and The Last Hero.)

Well kinda, to my shane. I have heard of him I just forgot about Pratchett’s wonderful Cohen the Barbarian.
Thanx for the reminder.
Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 5 months later...

(Excuse my english... I'm french!)

Hi there! My name is Loïc, I'm 42 years-old and I began RPG 33 years ago with the Black Eye. I soon upgraded to ADD, and then discovered CoC! This was love at first sight... With several short interruptions, I never really stopped RPG. I ran numerous campaigns and one-shot scenarios, mostly in BRP system: CoC, Delta Green, Mythic Iceland, Magic World, Crusaders of the Amber Coast, and so forth. I also ran some D&D (3rd ed) campaigns, Vampire (briefly), Dark Continent, Hollow Earth Expedition, CthulhuTech, Amber and several others. I mostly play with my mates, but I'm also part of a RPG association. I'm going to stand behind the screen again (5 years interruption) in two weeks with some CoC stuff, and I'm planning to run campaigns soon again (BRP, CthulhuTech, HeroWars or Amber, according to my players' desires).

I also ran several french and not translated RPG, I can send you some details if you like gaming UFOs...

Oh! and just a few details, as I saw they were asked when I completed my profile here: I'm married, got two kids (2 and 7 years-old), and I'm an archaeologist.

By the way, any other french RPG gamers around there ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Loïc said:

...and I'm an archaeologist.

Hi Loïc.  I'm actually curious -- how many people here gravitated toward the sciences because of an interest in RPGs?  Or gravitated toward RPGs because of an interest in the sciences?  Geologist here, and I don't know that I can rightly tell you which influenced which first.

Arts and finance don't count.  You lot can start your own spin-off thread.

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

Hi Ian. As you, I can't tell which one went first: RPG or archaeology. I began RPG when I was 9, and I always was interested in archaeology and environmental sciences (my specialty is landscape archaeology). But I'm sure each one allowed me to explore new perspectives into the other.

I think indeed there is some kind of relationship between RPGs and sciences, at least a strong and easy link. Example: I went through many jobs when I was a student, from building sites to big factories, and the biggest proportion of RPGamers I observed was in archaeology; at my current employer's, about 70/75% are former RPGamers and we are 35% or so still playing (including our geologist - a close friend!). I know, by friends, there is also a similar proportion in informatics.

Have you seen similar ratios on your side?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

Hi Loïc.  I'm actually curious -- how many people here gravitated toward the sciences because of an interest in RPGs? 

5 minutes ago, Loïc said:

As you, I can't tell which one went first: RPG or archaeology.

Salut Loïc, et bienvenue!

Sometimes I think I got into being a tech and a musician from my love of RPGs... other times.... well you get the drift. As you say I think it was mutual.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 2/25/2020 at 10:15 AM, Ian Absentia said:

...  I'm actually curious -- how many people here gravitated toward the sciences because of an interest in RPGs?  Or gravitated toward RPGs because of an interest in the sciences? 

I was solidly geeking-out over sci-fi / fantasy / mythology / etc before the first publication of D&D in the mid-70s, so ...

RPGs were another expression of the same interest.  My 1st RPG was TSR's 1e of Gamma World; my 2nd was AD&D1e (that was it, from 1978 up through 1980)... I got into RQ2 and Traveller in the 1980/81 timeframe, then Champions and a BUNCH more through the mid-80s & onward...

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 2/25/2020 at 10:13 AM, Loïc said:

There's quite a good number of frenchies here (I'm part of them). They're usually not too difficult to find. By the way, where (roughly) are you?

I'm also a Frenchie, although I live around Vancouver, BC. And funnily enough, I also started with the Black Dark Eye! (I recently tracked down 2 of the 3 boxes I had back then on eBay.... such an awesome nostalgic experience) Only I never moved on to D&D, I moved on to Cyberpunk, Vampire, and CoC (which I never stopped playing).

I also ran several french and not translated RPG, I can send you some details if you like gaming UFOs...

I bet you're talking about stuff like Reve de Dragon, Nephilim (never quite played that), or the awesomely irreverent original version of In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas. But I think a few of those were translated/adapted in English.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 3/4/2020 at 11:45 AM, Kloster said:

There's quite a good number of frenchies here (I'm part of them). They're usually not too difficult to find. By the way, where (roughly) are you?

I am from Bordeaux (South West), living since about 4 years (for work) in Mulhouse (Alsace). But still anger to return home...

On 3/4/2020 at 8:21 PM, lordabdul said:

I'm also a Frenchie, although I live around Vancouver, BC. And funnily enough, I also started with the Black Dark Eye! (I recently tracked down 2 of the 3 boxes I had back then on eBay.... such an awesome nostalgic experience) Only I never moved on to D&D, I moved on to Cyberpunk, Vampire, and CoC (which I never stopped playing).

I bet you're talking about stuff like Reve de Dragon, Nephilim (never quite played that), or the awesomely irreverent original version of In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas. But I think a few of those were translated/adapted in English.

Yeah stuff like that... I also ran a few others, like Bitume, Alienoids (I liked these two!!!) and few others (the terrible Zone!!). I think so none of them have been translated (unfortunately for Bitume and Alienoids),  but there is right now some work for a Bitume's reed, so maybe there would be one chance...

For Dark Eye, I am actually running it with my 7 years-old son, with my old Folio Junior Edition. Great family hours!!! And great laughs at watching these old illustrations... 😂

1 hour ago, Loïc said:

For Dark Eye, I am actually running it with my 7 years-old son, with my old Folio Junior Edition. Great family hours!!! And great laughs at watching these old illustrations... 😂

Running the Dark Eye for minors? You monster! 😎

But seriously: Unless you use it for reading lessons, there are other games with as easy-to-learn rules that work better.

• Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 4 months later...

👋 hey, hi. Hello.

I"m new to the forum. I've lurked it for a while. But figure I'd join up and say hi. I've been RPGing for ~30 years. Started with a copy of 0D&D that I played with a babysitter when I was 7 or 8. A month later found Hawkmoon at the comic store, at the same time I was reading The Secret of Runestaff. Managed to convince my parents to get that for me. Been BRP ever since. With a healthy side dish of all the other cool indie/diy rpgs on the market.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2020 at 9:35 AM, derekkinsman said:

👋 hey, hi. Hello.

I"m new to the forum. I've lurked it for a while. But figure I'd join up and say hi. I've been RPGing for ~30 years. Started with a copy of 0D&D that I played with a babysitter when I was 7 or 8. A month later found Hawkmoon at the comic store, at the same time I was reading The Secret of Runestaff. Managed to convince my parents to get that for me. Been BRP ever since. With a healthy side dish of all the other cool indie/diy rpgs on the market.

Welcome to the pub!

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!