Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Hi and welcome Aran!

There was the boxed set Worlds of Wonder that contained three genre booklets; one of which was a supers genre called Superworld. This booklet was expanded into the supers RPG boxed set Superworld.

Worlds of Wonder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Superworld - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can find used copies of these out of print games on eBay, Amazon, and similiar websites. RPG.net has a large and active RPG auction/trade community as well.

BRP Ze 32/420

Hi all

I'm PapersAndPaychecks, or Stuart Marshall irl. I'm 37 years old and I live in Britain. I found this place following a link from my friend Dan Proctor's site.

I've been playing BRP ever since I got a free copy of it with my boxed set of RQ2. Which would've been, I think, 1981? And RQ2 for the same length of time, naturally, and Call of Cthulhu since about 1986.

I've written assorted things; the ones relevant to the FRPG genre are a number of adventures (including some for Castles & Crusades, some for 1e AD&D, one for BRP/GORE called "The Secret of Whispering Wood") and a game called OSRIC.

Nice to meet you. :)

Thanks for the welcome. :)

How can I gauge the demand level for GORE material? I've a pretty good idea how many people are reading my other work, but no information at all on Secret of Whispering Wood.

Well, I got a copy... As a BRP player I'm always on the lookout for new supplements. I haven't troubled myself with trying to converting MRQ stuff yet, but GORE is close enough that it can be used as it is.

Doesn't Lulu & RPGnow give you some sort of statistics?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Well, I got a copy...

Ah, just read your review. :) I'm flattered.

Doesn't Lulu & RPGnow give you some sort of statistics?

Probly gives them to Dan, yeah. He's the publisher. Personally I just wrote it, created the artwork and maps, and handed a text document plus some image files over to Goblinoid Games. Formatting, layout and sales are down to him.

Because I'm not on a royalty with SWW, Dan has no reason to account to me for sales. But I could ask him.

Howdy All,

My name's Brian; I just joined up the other day.

I've been playing (GMing primarily) for about 30 years now. I started young - I'm only 38 now. ;) I got into BRP / Chaosium way back, with RQII and early CoC, and getting into Stormbringer, etc. over time. I've run a good number of CoC sessions and played in some RQ recently with my good friends zomben and SDLeary here.

In addition to private games, I generally run games at the EndGame minicons and local conventions. I'm also the co-host for my gaming podcast, "2d6 Feet in an Random Direction".

I grabbed a copy of the BRP Advanced Reader's Edition at DDC the other month after reading zomben's copy. At this point, it looks like I'll be running a D&D-esque campaign using BRP.

Good evening

I have been popping by and lurking here for a while. But finally have something (sort of) relevent to post.

So to begin hello my name is Al I have been a member of a number of BRP flavoured mailing lists and the MRQ playtest (first tranche anyway) and BRP playtest.

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

My name is Jan Erik Söderman. I live in Sweden and I have played games based on the Basic Roleplaying System since i was 8 years old. Here in Sweden the only games that even existed in Swedish at that time was a game called Drakar och Demoner and another game called Mutant (later that morphed into a game called Mutant Chronicles though that has almost nothing but the dark future part of the setting in common with the original).

I still think it is the best system around and strangely it seems the original is the best iteration of the system as everyone that have tried to modify it have also made it more complicated without much actual gain. I must admit I had a rather long love affair with World of Darkness during the nineties but lately I have found my way back to BRP and all the games based of it.

I kind of like the new Mongose Runequest stuff save for the fact that every time i look at production values and price per page i feel ripped of. I am very much looking forward to the new BRP book and am hoping to see Chaosium doing something other than cthulhu based of it. Since i finally overdosed on horror and can't really stomach the stuff after my decade long trip to the world of darkness.

Well, after gentle prodding from the site master, I will post:

Hi, I'm Louis Kolkman, live in The Netherlands (better known as holland) and have been playing a lot of RPG's through the years. Starting about 23 years back with OdM (Oog des Meesters, a dutch D&D ripof) and Queeste (also a dutch RPG, but this one a original system), but mostly RQ III, CoC, Pendragon, Castle Falkenstein, James Bond 007, Cyberpunk 2020, Shadowrun and several WoD. I only got on the D&D wagon after they brought out version 3.0, and have played a lot of that too. And I master a lot of Pendragon, which is sort of BRP with a twist.

Since I live in Europe, and am able to read french, I became interested in BRP through the french RPG magazine Casus Belli. I still plan to write my own world, but RL will probably make this a reality when I retire, so in about 20 years or so....

I do not know who I am, but I do know where i'm going!

Hi, my name is Ben Nehring, and I'm new to the forum. And I'm fairly new to BRP--though I've known about CoC for almost forever and even played a little of it. I've also own a core book. But it's buried deep in storage.

I've played some D&D in the 80's. Loved the concept of role-playing, but hated the system. Then my friends and I switched over to Warhammer and we all thought the system was a great deal better.

However, over the years I've lost touch with those friends and over the years I've tried to find people who are interested in pen and paper rpgs. Haven't found any I wanted to play with yet. The last group I really considered playing with were really into the Vampire: the Masquerade game a bit too much with real life bloodletting/blood drinking. I pretty much gave up hope. Everybody else I've made friends with have very little to no interest in p&p rpgs.

Then I stumbled across Mythic Role Playing

Mythic RPG

Which allows you to play any P&P rpg solo. I strongly recommend the Game Master Emulator.

Lately, I was strongly considering using FUDGE with Mythic, but FUDGE can't do realistic gaming well, and I would really like to play survival horror games based on my fave video games: Resident Evil, Siren, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, etc. And for those, you need a bit of crunch, otherwise you'll just have something that resembles a Paul W.S. Anderson film. (While I actually do like Paul W.S. Anderson films, his screenplays and directing style thoroughly defeats the purpose of survival horror). Which led me back to CoC. I recently ordered the 6th edition and I expect to receive it sometime this week.

I would also like to create a game based on Tenchu (my most favorite video game series of all time). I would also like to do something that's "hard" space opera, like Starcluster and Jovian Chronicles, but with a cooler system than either of them has. Plus, I have a few ideas of my own. And BRP seems to fit the bill. I can't wait for the BRP core book to be released.

I think I'll give the gift of my two fave hard science resources for anyone who's interested. They could be very useful for world building:

Atomic Rocket main page

Space Settlement

Btw, I downloaded Flashing Blades a week ago. It seems like it could be very compatible with BRP. Is it very compatible?

Hi. I guess I'm supposed to leave an introductory post. I ran across this Web site while checking out another (which linked from another and from another, ad infinitum), so I'm not really sure how I arrived here. But since it's asking for an intro . . .

Since I didn't pick a clever user name, you already know that I'm Bill Barton (aka William A. Barton), and you may remember me as the designer of Cthulhu By Gaslight if you've played CoC in the past couple decades (unless you didn't start till Gaslight was out of print). I'm also the co-designer of the first three editions of GURPS Space (now OP, with the redone 4th edition replacing it) and the first GURPS Space Atlas (still available from SJG as a pdf). I also contributed to Superworld and the Companion to Superworld (the weather article and a bunch of new powers). And my other CoC works include "The Curse of Chaugnar Faugn" in Curse of the Cthonians and "The Killer Out of Space" in Cthulhu Now. And a lot from my work now appears in the latest CoC edition. Made some other contributions to various GURPS books and a bit to FASA's Star Trek: TRPG (although most of the last ended up either nonpublished or published without a credit to me for it--sigh).

I've been gaming since 1980 (albeit with a lean decade in the '90s), starting with Traveller (playing, GM-ing, then writing original scenarios that never got published) with side trips playing The Morrow Project, The Fantasy Trip, Tunnels & Trolls, Daredevils, Mercenary, Spies & Private Eyes, Villains & Vigilanties, Star Trek: TRPG and a number of others.

Started writing by reviewing games for Steve Jackson's Space Gamer magazine in the early '80s, which led to writing articles there and articles and reviews for other magazines such as Different Worlds and (once) Dragon. Wrote "A Gamer's Guide to Victorian London" for Fantasy Gamer, which turned out to be kind of a prelude to Cthulhu By Gaslight (and ended up in the first two editions of GURPS Horror). Most recently I've published three CoC monographs through Chaosium, mostly things I'd written 20 years ago that are only now being published (Menace from the Moon, originally conceived for Blood Brothers; Return of the Ripper, originally meant to go in the first edition of Gaslight; and A Cthulhuian Miscellany, a compilation of outtakes from previous works and some original material as well). Got a few more in the works--some of my existing scenarios that have been in my files for 20 years along with some new things. That's if I can find the time away from my regular job as an editor for Wiley Publishing (publishers of the For Dummies books and others).

And, if it's appropriate to mention (and plug), I also designed and self-published my own RPG, So Ya Wanna Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star! A Rock 'N' Role-Playing Game (still available from me for $18pp at Bill Barton Games, P.O. Box 26290, Indianapolis, IN 46226-0290). If you like rock 'n' roll and games that are on the light-hearted side (and if you're familiar with and enjoyed any of my other work), you'd probably like it. (Now if I could ever get any of the distributors to pick it up . . .) It even won an award at Gen Con its first year out (although that was a while ago). If anyone would like more info, just ask and I'll be happy to supply it. (And if plugging it here is inappropriate, I'll trust the site's moderators to remove this part of the posting--and that's fine with me.)

As noted, I got here from following bunch of links. Didn't know there were sites devoted to BRP. Really interesting to see some of the creative stuff here, especially in areas where I've dabbled myself. (I did write a Superworld vehicle article that didn't make the Companion and was to have gone into the next Superworld book--had the game not been discontinued. I recently rewrote it for Call of Cthulhu and it was going to go into A Cthulhian Miscellany, but ended up too long. It's half of my next monograph--as soon as I can get it finished. The other half is my old Time Travel article, updated and revised, from Gaslight. I'm also working on a new edition of Gaslight as a monograph--again, if I can find the time to finish it. I've also dabbled in some SF stuff using CoC/BRP, including a scenario I'm running at Gen Con this year.) I'm working on a score of other things (including a long-delayed GURPS project and a number of other ideas for CoC). Now if only I could find the time (or get cloned a few dozen times), I might finish them eventually . . .

Anyway, nice to see some sites devoted to the system, as it's probably my favorite of all those currently out there. (I find D20 way too complicated--maybe because I'm probably one of the few gamers left on earth who's never played any form of D&D.) I'll probably be checking back here from time to time, but my time to post on forums is limited. (I started posting on Yog-Sothoth.com a while back, but it go so time-consuming I had to break it off for a while so I could keep up with work.) Hope to see some more creative stuff from all of you. Take care!

Hi, my name is Dirk and I am from Germany.

I especially like story-driven horror-rpgs like unknown armies, sorcerer and cthulhu, but I also like RuneQuest/BRP in general (although I never really liked Glorantha), Midgard (a German game), and Star Wars (if I am in the mood for more heroic action). I give a lot of games a try, just to look at the mechanisms and how they converted the background into a game.

Some of you may have looked into the pdf of my version of the MRQ-SRD that is available in the download section. I am happy that so many people are interested in at least giving it a try. If you find any errors in the document or have any suggestions for improvement, please contact me or create a message in the forum.

I also made pdfs for a German Midgard-site and a couple of other projects.

Greetings all.

I got here by following links and looking for more stuff to fill my gaming library with. My wife and I are long time gamers. I started off in 1989 with Palladium Books ROBOTECH. My wife and I have three bookshelves and several bookpiles filled with all sorts of gaming goodies (Elric, Chill, Star Wars, CoC and 30+ supplements, 2 ed. D&D, about 50+ D20 books, Traveller, MegaTraveller, and on and on...) but at this point (19 years of gaming) we pretty much only play two systems BRP and D20...everything from all other books is quickly converted to those two systems and that is all that we play (well, that and Magic:the Gathering :o )

My wife and I write a lot of CoC stuff and are just about finished with a 600+ page steampunk game using BRP...

Anyway, I am hoping that this can be my BRP home...there seem to be few places online that seem to appreciate it... many are far more concerned with making complicated rules than in memorable settings and enjoyable games.

"Rules should be invisible to players, or at least not a constant obstacle"

-STS

My wife and I write a lot of CoC stuff and are just about finished with a 600+ page steampunk game using BRP...

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on having such a developed setting!

I, for one, would be exceptionally interested in seeing that one -

Try and keep the bail low --

Emerging from my Dark Age...

Mark

First roleplaying experience was back in the 80s but had little experience with BRP for a long time.

My first real experience came with Cthulhu and I probably fell in love with that game almost straight away.

My first real RQ experience came very late in my RPing life, and to be honest since the mid 90s I have not played the game much at all (even though I love it).