Sorcery

allenowen

3 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

Red Book of Magic I assume. It is supposed to include every spell.

Doesn't look like that is due out any time "soon" though.

I am unclear about this, actually.

RBoM may only have Spirit and Rune spells, not Sorcery.

Sorcery runs to a lot of DIY on-the-fly magic...

Figure out the Technique (s) and Rune(s) for the spell...

Decide if you're gonna Infer from the opposing...

Figure how you're gonna cast... Extra time etc... 

Spirit & Rune magics are comprised of much more straightforward, self-contained "spells," suitable for a "list of spells" presentation.

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 hours ago, allenowen said:

The RQ:G core book says that the Sorcery presented in it is a "bare bones" version, and says it will be expanded upon in later supplements. What will these be?

Any day now.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
Mea culpa: I read that as "WHEN" not "what".
  • Haha 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

I think the Red Book of magic is just Rune and Spirit magic. At least the preview version was. 

I don't expect a significant work on Sorcery any time soon - we have the Cults book, well really three separate volumes, first (which has a small number of sorcery spells as used by mixed sorcery/Rune cults like Irripi Ontor in it, but no big rules expansions), and the Campaign/GM book, and Pavis and Big Rubble, all to out come first I think? Maybe even a troll book? A variety of projects for various parts of the Holy Country? 

We will probably even see a Kralorela book before we see a book on the West, just because it has a writer and substantial work done on it currently. 

This isn't inside information - maybe Jeff has been working furiously on the West and we just haven't seen it - but we do know that a lot of other stuff that seems further along the queue.

Edited by davecake
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, skulldixon said:

I just finished read the core and Sorcery seems to be the only section I was confused by. 

Mainly, I don't understand how you know what the % you're rolling against for each of your Sorcery Spells.

Each spell is an individual skill starting from very low percentage, raisable through training or experience. At character generation, you can assign some percentile points to each spell you know. Afterwards, you have to learn them the hard and slow way.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

So the part I missed was that the Starting %'s for these Rune spells are can be found under a occupation Like Philosopher.

Looking back at that section, I do see that Philosophers start with three sorcery spells and that under skills, they have three instants of (Sorcery Spell), two of which start at 10% and the third at 20%.

And that would mean, to raise them you would have to do training or study like any other skill.

2 hours ago, skulldixon said:

So the part I missed was that the Starting %'s for these Rune spells are can be found under a occupation Like Philosopher.

Looking back at that section, I do see that Philosophers start with three sorcery spells and that under skills, they have three instants of (Sorcery Spell), two of which start at 10% and the third at 20%.

And that would mean, to raise them you would have to do training or study like any other skill.

yes but you can also start with other ways than philosophers :

• cult => LM for example,
  • personal bonus

of course you can add the bonus too philosopher + cult + personal