Hot off the presses in Lithuania; soon to be on a truck and/or ship and/or shoggoth to our warehouses...

MOB

Hot off the presses in Lithuania; soon to be on a truck and/or ship and/or shoggoth to our warehouses... these are the full color hardbacks and special leatherette editions.

1887144790_ImagefromiOS(80).thumb.jpg.13c235a8877f0587d8be82ea32354767.jpg

743418913_ImagefromiOS(79).thumb.jpg.4e577d550ef5e0f02ff40e1e2bf2bf9f.jpg

Buy the PDFs now, get the full price of the PDFs off the physical versions when they arrive!
—Cthulhu Dark Ages: http://bit.ly/37HpZTF
—Harlem Unbound: https://bit.ly/2JqTbod

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dagonet said:

This may be heretical, but I'd go for the standard cover in both instances. The art is so nice!

No, I feel you. If I go Leatherette I would be sad to lose the art of both.

@MOB, do leatherette versions of books have the full cover art printed inside?

2 hours ago, davewire said:

I already have the PDFs in prep for these. Any idea what the price will be? Also, will paperback editions eventually be available?

I'm obviously not Chaosium, but their general operating procedure has been to produce softcovers of smaller books and hardcovers of larger books. Yes, there are softcovers of the Keeper's and Investigator's handbooks, but I'm thinking that is more of an artifact of the original 7E Kickstarter. I highly doubt either of these are coming in softcover.

The last page of your PDFs shows the retail price of the standard hardbacks: Harlem Unbound 49.99 USD and Dark Ages 44.99 USD

Leatherettes have ranged between 90 USD(smaller books) and 110 USD (larger books). I would guess that, given these are pretty meaty books, they'll be in the 100.00-110.00 USD range.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, davewire said:

I already have the PDFs in prep for these. Any idea what the price will be? Also, will paperback editions eventually be available?

The only books we do in softcover are our fiction titles, and books under 128 pages. As has been said, you can see the book price on the back cover, which is included with the PDF of that book. We don't bother with having the PDF price on the back cover of the PDF of the book.

We did some softcover Keeper and Investigator books solely for the kickstarter because that's what backers purchased. We aren't going to reprint them in softcover.

• Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Ah ha, I hadn’t looked at the back covers yet, but as you say, there they are. I guess it’s because I have the softcover Keeper’s Guide and Invstigator’s Handbook that it hadn’t really occurred to me that there was a definitive policy for what is released as hardback vs softback.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:20 AM, klecser said:

@MOB, do leatherette versions of books have the full cover art printed inside?

They don't. Everything inside is the same as the normal hardback.

19 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

We did some softcover Keeper and Investigator books solely for the kickstarter because that's what backers purchased. We aren't going to reprint them in softcover.

We happen to have the softcover versions of the Keeper and Investigator Books, and Petersen Guide available for purchase now, and they are all on sale too. These are leftovers from the Kickstarter and will not be reprinted in softcover.

22 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

The only books we do in softcover are our fiction titles, and books under 128 pages. As has been said, you can see the book price on the back cover, which is included with the PDF of that book. We don't bother with having the PDF price on the back cover of the PDF of the book.

The "Gamemaster Adventures" book in the GM Screen Pack is 128 pages. 
Will a reprint get a hardcover treatment (i hope it will... i will buy it again)?

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2020 at 7:20 AM, klecser said:

No, I feel you. If I go Leatherette I would be sad to lose the art of both.

Same... that's one reason I'm not interested in the leatherettes, even though I'm usually a sucker for spending extra money on fancy gimmicks and pretty books. Is makes me a bit sad.... But the leatherette covers are just pretty much always inferior (to my eyes) to the full colour hardbacks. Maybe a dust jacket featuring the colour art would be a solution, but I also have a love/hate relationship with dust jackets, so I'm not even sure it would sway my opinion.

One of the rare exceptions in my book collection is the CoC 20th Anniversary Edition, which looks like a forbidden Mythos tome, so that works very well in this specific case.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 3

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

56 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

Same... that's one reason I'm not interested in the leatherettes, even though I'm usually a sucker for spending extra money on fancy gimmicks and pretty books. Is makes me a bit sad.... But the leatherette covers are just pretty much always inferior (to my eyes) to the full colour hardbacks.

Totally get it. In light of this news, I'll get the HU Leatherette to support Chris' work and the regular book for Dark Ages.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, AndreJarosch said:

The "Gamemaster Adventures" book in the GM Screen Pack is 128 pages. 
Will a reprint get a hardcover treatment (i hope it will... i will buy it again)?

We don't expect to do it in hardcover, nor do we expect to sell it separately.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.