Removing "Doubt"

GAZZA

So my players offed Oll, the ancient priest of Pocharngo and Primal Chaos (see River of Cradles) last weekend, but not before three of them were afflicted with Doubt (meaning that they have a 5% worse chance to cast any Rune magic).

It says that removing Doubt requires either divine intervention (a risky prospect at the best of times, given they're only initiates) or a Hero Quest. What sort of Hero Quest would be recommended to do that? I was thinking it might be thematically appropriate to do a Cleansed One Hero Quest (as they are river voices of Zola Fel, and have been offered initiation); the myth itself, as far as I can see, cleanses Chaos but it seems reasonable it could remove a Chaos inflicted penalty as well. Does this seem appropriate, and if so does anyone know where I might find either ideally a write up of such a Hero Quest (in whatever system, I can convert) or at least a detailed myth that I can use to break into stages. (Actually I could do with some sort of Hero Quest Design Guide; there's one in 13AG but I'm not sure it really works for the sorts of things RQ seems to suggest you can get from Hero Quests).

I guess I can wait for the game master's book, it's only 5% and nobody has hassled me about it yet, but I like to be proactive about these things. :)

There is a stage on the Making of the Storm Tribe myth from King of Dragon Pass, which is called The Doubting Wheel.

https://kingofdragonpass.fandom.com/wiki/The_Making_of_the_Storm_Tribe

Have a look:

<Quester> enters the realm of the gods, where he begins to feel the restlessness of Orlanth, because the Emperor is strong and denies Orlanth's proper place in the world. Ernalda tells <Quester> that the Emperor's advantage over Orlanth is his tribe; if he is to challenge the Emperor, <Quester> must also make a tribe. <Quester> goes wandering, considering her words, until the Doubting Wheel rolls up. It tells <Quester> not to make a tribe. "If you put yourself above all the others, you will be just as bad as the Emperor. The people will expect you to tell them what to do, and in doing so they will steal your own freedom, which is the thing you value most."

Edited by Runeblogger

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

1 hour ago, GAZZA said:

I was thinking it might be thematically appropriate to do a Cleansed One Hero Quest (as they are river voices of Zola Fel, and have been offered initiation); the myth itself, as far as I can see, cleanses Chaos but it seems reasonable it could remove a Chaos inflicted penalty as well.

That seems 100% on-point thematically to me, as well. Good idea.

For me, doing a heroquest really ought to be about the community supporting you. Since the adventurers are River Voices, I'm sure they've got position and connections enough for a community to be willing to support them on the quest. Perhaps try using their Loyalty (community) Passion to test for support? Given their status, I think that "curing our Chosen Heroes" qualifies as a community boon to be pursuing—trying to cleanse their Chaos wound isn't selfish, but makes them better able to help the community.

@Puckohue's JC work Humakt, Raven, and Wolf has some very simple rules for doing a heroquest. I don't have River of Cradles, but perhaps its story of the Cleansed One can be converted into different "stations" with a simple test each? This could even just be a roll of one of their Rune affinities, or a single skill roll and some roleplay. If Cleansed One doesn't have listed holy days, I'd have the quest take place on an "auspicious" day. Try asking the players when their adventurers think is appropriate. I'd suggest a Wildday in Harmony week, but using their suggestion is probably better. Sacred Time is pretty much always appropriate, too.

• Like 2

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website