Ernalda's stingy hubbies

Brootse

Possibly because the spells are her gifts in exchange for the husband's protection? It wasn't a spell-for-spell relationship she had with them, it was a "I'll give you my gifts and you personally defend me". I'd imagine in the middle world that'd mean that her cult is allied with all of her husbands' cults and can call on their members for protection, even if they don't necessarily grant any direct magic.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Why doesn't Ernalda get any spells from her husbands? She gives them spells.

Book space. Because as is fitting for a Great goddess she has a great number of husbands and RQG couldn't have everything in it. These are in the upcoming Gods of Glorantha book. If you have RQ3, it's looks pretty similar to the ones in the Ernalda cult writeup, otherwise if your players want a spell from Ernalda for their Husband-Protector cult, just pick one protective or fertility based Rune spell. If it's wrong later, don't worry, the adventurer was just blessed. Otherwise Cloud Call from Orlanth Thunderous (as Book 5, RQ3), and Shield from Orlanth Adventurous, Impede Chaos from Storm Bull (as Book 5, RQ3).

• Like 7

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 minute ago, David Scott said:

Book space. Because as is fitting for a Great goddess she has a great number of husbands and RQG couldn't have everything in it. These are in the upcoming Gods of Glorantha book. If you have RQ3, it's looks pretty similar to the ones in the Ernalda cult writeup, otherwise if your players want a spell from Ernalda for their Husband-Protector cult, just pick one protective or fertility based Rune spell. If it's wrong later, don't worry, the adventurer was just blessed. Otherwise Cloud Call from Orlanth Thunderous (as Book 5, RQ3), and Shield from Orlanth Adventurous, Impede Chaos from Storm Bull (as Book 5, RQ3).

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Also note that casting the Husband's spells may require using his Runes.  That Shield spell from Orlanth requires using Air or Movement.

Although Shield isn't a common Rune magic, it doesn't actually say what runes it requires: RQG 339

Rune varies depending on cult

and using Associate cult rune spells supports rune vagary: RQG 283 (my emphasis)

This Rune is often different from the Runes of the initiate’s primary god.

I'd let them use their Earth rune. Babeester Gor has both Shield & Earth Shield (Earth & Air) like Orlanth.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

Although Shield isn't a common Rune magic, it doesn't actually say what runes it requires: RQG 339

Rune varies depending on cult

and using Associate cult rune spells supports rune vagary: RQG 283 (my emphasis)

This Rune is often different from the Runes of the initiate’s primary god.

I'd let them use their Earth rune.

It, in effect, does say what runes would be required.  Orlanthi would cast Shield with Air or Movement, would they not?  While a Humakti would use Death or Truth, etc...

When an Ernaldan goes to cast the Orlanth provided Shield spell, they must use Air or Movement, which is indeed "different from the Runes of the (Ernaldan) initiate's primary god".

If Babs Gor provided Shield, I agree with you, that would be cast with Earth (or Death).  But she doesn't.

That said, a nice GM wanting to help out the Ernaldan might allow Earth.  No big objection.  But why not give her a reason to work on some other Runes?  IMO, bending the rules to allow characters to always use their primary runes (or Passions) just makes for more one dimensional, more boring characters.  YGMV.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Colour me confused...

P294 lists a pile of those husband protectors and the spells they provide...

Haha, had missed the next page. Most, if not all other cult descriptions end with a list of Asociated Cults, but Ernalda's format differs.

5 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Haha, had missed the next page. Most, if not all other cult descriptions end with a list of Asociated Cults, but Ernalda's format differs.

With both Shield and Earthshield, Ernalda makes a better warrior cult than Yelmalio. I find this highly amusing.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3