[download]The Town of Tindale

tooley1chris

The Town of Tindale

The Town of Tindale

Welp, after a LONG time, here it finally is. 1 file for the town and 1 book for player maps without room titles or secret areas

This book contains descriptions and maps of hundreds of shops, vendors, temples, smiths, shrines, apartments, homes, guilds, towers, castle, keeps, exterior areas, caves, mines, and caverns in and around the town of Tindale. Your players may NEVER even visit some (or even most) of the areas as they are less than interesting to an adventuring party, but I included them anyway just in case.  They may never visit the chair makers shop looking for glory, but if they buy a house, or even a manor, they may want to furnish it.

I also mapped a small hamlet outside of Tindale. A farming community of sorts. There should be 5 or 6 of these (That I didn't map) in the areas around the town, as well as Tindales main mine and namesake, and a logging camp. I may add these later, as they are an important part of Tindales economy. (Or someone else can feel free to add files as they wish. It would tickle me mightily if others made and posted adventures that revolved around the town.)

Every medieval town in history has a lot of small hamlets and farmsteads surrounding it. Tindale should be no different.

I didn't map EVERY building or apartment in the town (This book would have been 10 times as large) but this gives you, the chronicler, and me, room to expand and add stuff as needed. My idea for this town is to be a base for my own players. A place to call home.

There is one main adventure tied to the town, Annabels Gift. A dozen small quests that can be found by talking to different NPCs, searching help wanted boards, or visiting the Adventurers Guild. Some of these are very dangerous to green adventurers and the Chronicler should read through them carefully so as no to over power the players. Intrepid and daring adventurers stand to make a fortune if they succeed at some of these, later in their careers. Maybe even becoming nobility themselves.

You will notice the mapped area descriptions are pretty detailed. More so than most who run the game might need. This is because I have players who want to know exactly what is in the room they just broke into. What can be....misplaced? 

OH! Almost forgot. I  broke down and bought a decent PDF editor and spent the last couple days adding links and bookmarks to pages for easier navigation.

As always, thanks to Lynn Willis, Ben Monroe, Mark Morrison, and friends for giving ussuch a rich game as Magic World to adventure in.
And a big thanks to Jason Durall and Sam Johnson for the Big Gold Book which changed how I roll.
Thanks to Chaosium, inc. for making those materials available.
This book is not, in any way, a product of my artistic or writing ability. Every bit of art and most of the descriptions were “borrowed” from many other, much more talented
people from other books, the Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolset, and around the internet. Most of the Critters represented in these pages are from my Big Damn Book of Monsters.
Most of the NPCs were made using my Magic World NPC creator found on BRPcentral.
Most of the Treasures were generated using my Magic World Treasure Generator also found on found on BRPcentral.

LOTS of love to Trifletraxor for bringing so many great people together and allowing us to share our adventures!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

14 hours ago, Vile said:

I don't know, it didn't seem that long ago when you started this! 👴

image.png.f36f725ba27875e12bea345f6980c034.png

I found this on my Magic World Facebook Page :)

2016...ugh

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

9 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

image.png.f36f725ba27875e12bea345f6980c034.png

I found this on my Magic World Facebook Page :)

2016...ugh

So tell us:  How's the "Complete Psionicist" project going?

I haven't seen anything on it in... uhhh... THREE YEARS ??!?

Get cracking!!!

(more seriously, I have some interest in some good BRP psi rules...)

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, g33k said:

So tell us:  How's the "Complete Psionicist" project going?

I haven't seen anything on it in... uhhh... THREE YEARS ??!?

Get cracking!!!

(more seriously, I have some interest in some good BRP psi rules...)

LOL

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Coronoides said:

Thank you. It is major useful contributions like this that will keep Magic World on peoples tables and being played. To my mind while that is happening a game is alive regardless of the commercial realities that cause publishers to stop printing a game. 

Agreed. Magic World is apparently in the unusual position of not selling while lots of fans play the game and design for it!

• Like 3

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

10 hours ago, rsanford said:

Agreed. Magic World is apparently in the unusual position of not selling while lots of fans play the game and design for it!

Seems to be.

Of course, it's also possible that there's just a few hundred -- maybe even only a few score -- really devoted fans worldwide, many of them "superfans" and talented writers, keeping the sparks burning bright.

I don't LIKE this explanation... but it fits the observed facts (afaict).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, g33k said:

Seems to be.

Of course, it's also possible that there's just a few hundred -- maybe even only a few score -- really devoted fans worldwide, many of them "superfans" and talented writers, keeping the sparks burning bright.

I don't LIKE this explanation... but it fits the observed facts (afaict).

Yeah unfortunately  "lots of fans" is relative. However, as for as BRP Central, the RPG Pub and the big purple are concerned the game garnishes a lot of praise. I truly believe it Chaosium had really put effort into the layout, art and proof reading and changed the title to something else they would have had a market winner.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rsanford said:

Yeah unfortunately  "lots of fans" is relative. However, as for as BRP Central, the RPG Pub and the big purple are concerned the game garnishes a lot of praise. I truly believe if Chaosium had really put effort into the layout, art and proof reading and changed the title to something else they would have had a market winner.

Ben’s original plan was sound: a compact, elegant layout focused on producing a concise book that would retail at less than $30, possibly $25 and which used the final submitted MS would, even with the re-used art and the (relatively few) typos and errata and bland title, have gained more traction.

Then Chaosium botched it (used wrong ms file, targeted layout for a big book to justify an inflated price tag that made the reuse of art more problematic and over-printed the core book) and saddled nu-Chaosium with unsold stock of flawed execution of a strong concept.

*shrug* we are where we are. I still hope to do some sort “farewell to arms” release of a usable chunk of the MW related stuff I’ve been noodling away at over the last half decade or so fo my own use, as a lot of my time working on MW, Advanced Sorcery and some of the unpublished stuff is all caught up in my head with my mother’s passing from cancer and other personal stuff from ‘13 / ‘14... Current circumstances have NOT helped, but tooley1chris and the other faithful few remain a huge inspiration, and I may yet get my shit together.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NickMiddleton said:

Ben’s original plan was sound: a compact, elegant layout focused on producing a concise book that would retail at less than $30, possibly $25 and which used the final submitted MS would, even with the re-used art and the (relatively few) typos and errata and bland title, have gained more traction.

Then Chaosium botched it (used wrong ms file, targeted layout for a big book to justify an inflated price tag that made the reuse of art more problematic and over-printed the core book) and saddled nu-Chaosium with unsold stock of flawed execution of a strong concept.

*shrug* we are where we are. I still hope to do some sort “farewell to arms” release of a usable chunk of the MW related stuff I’ve been noodling away at over the last half decade or so fo my own use, as a lot of my time working on MW, Advanced Sorcery and some of the unpublished stuff is all caught up in my head with my mother’s passing from cancer and other personal stuff from ‘13 / ‘14... Current circumstances have NOT helped, but tooley1chris and the other faithful few remain a huge inspiration, and I may yet get my shit together.

We appreciate you too Nick. You do great work and have always been a proponent of Magic World.

• Like 2

I think Chaosium has plans for a DTRPG "Community Content" market, along the lines of CoC's Miskatonic Repository & RQ's Jonstown Compendium.

That'd seem likely to be a place to get such content out into the world... and might, just maybe, generate a renewed market... even get them to look at a MW-reboot...?

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, g33k said:

I think Chaosium has plans for a DTRPG "Community Content" market, along the lines of CoC's Miskatonic Repository & RQ's Jonstown Compendium.

That'd seem likely to be a place to get such content out into the world... and might, just maybe, generate a renewed market... even get them to look at a MW-reboot...?

Genuinely curious - what's your evidence for this?

On 9/16/2020 at 12:29 AM, NickMiddleton said:

Genuinely curious - what's your evidence for this?

I didn't look up the reference, just worked from memory...  So it could just have been fan speculation &c, and I could be mistaken...

But I believe Chaosium said they were at least "looking at" such a program for BRP, about the time they announced their OGL/SRD initiatives for BRP.

And MW is explicitly BRP-based, so it looks like it would be viable for such a program, if it comes to be.

Edited by g33k
typo

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 9/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, Simlasa said:

I wonder what the legal hurdles of doing a basic 'zine would be... focused on Magic World, but without the name or logos.
Just thinking of all the Dungeon Crawl Classics 'zines... as well as other OSR zines.

I've just always had a thing for digest sized 'zines...

Given Chaosium have just shelved the SPL, it would be a nightmare IMO - under the fan use policy / licensing you cannot distribute via DTR / Lulu etc, nor charge, so there's no way to recoup any production costs (so art etc will be solely amateur / unpaid for / at ones own expense, and no easy PoD options). And frankly, doing the whole "lalala I'm not touching you" thing of "for D100 games such as Sorcery Realm" rather misses the point of supporting Magic World - if one wants to do generic D100 fantasy there are plenty of options already.

• Sad 1

On 9/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, Simlasa said:

I wonder what the legal hurdles of doing a basic 'zine would be... focused on Magic World, but without the name or logos.

You are better off lobbying for Chaosium to allow Magic World to be included in one of the DTRPG Community Content schemes.

They have done so well that Chaosium are withdrawing third party publication, presumably to encourage people to use the Jonstown Compendium or Miskatonic Repository.

If Community Content scheme became available that included Magic world, you could easily produce a PDF fanzine for Magic World.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 7 months later...

So it's almost been a year since I finished this massive project. 100+ of you awesome people downloaded it. Am curious if anyone actually read thru or hosted a game inside Tindales borders.

What did you think of the layout? The descriptions? The quests? The NPCs? 

Constructive Criticism welcome as always.