Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes (2009) & Sartar Companion (2010) are not OoP... as they are still available in SC on Lulu!

I was quite suprised to find this a few days ago while wandering on Lulu.com ...

Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes (2009)

Sartar Companion (2010)

That's great, but of course it is also quite puzzling. Why isn't it mentioned on the Chaosium page for the PDF of each of these products? Why aren't these also available in hardcover? Why Lulu & why not (also?) DTRPG? Will Pavis: Gateway to Adventure (2012) also be available as it is also out-of-print? What about HeroQuest: Core Rules (2009) later on?

These products are out of print as we do not have any copies of the original print runs. POD produces a different kind of book.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:57 AM, Christoph Kohring said:

That's great, but of course it is also quite puzzling.

A limited number of Moon Design products are on Lulu, pre-Chaosium. 

Why isn't it mentioned on the Chaosium page for the PDF of each of these products?

We are working on an overall POD integration with Lulu. When we begin rollout, it will be integrated on the products page if available in POD.

Why aren't these also available in hardcover?

Could be a number of reasons, not available when this was done, not available in this format, hardbacks have a spine, etc.

Why Lulu & why not (also?) DTRPG?

Different POD systems. DTRPG is fairly new.

Will Pavis: Gateway to Adventure (2012) also be available as it is also out-of-print?

Dependant on numerous factors when turning products into POD products. It's not straightforward, for example, for POD the cover has to be separate from the book. 

What about HeroQuest: Core Rules (2009) later on?

as above.

• 1 month later...

Sartar and the Sartar Companion are currently disabled on Lulu because of print quality issues. They shall return soon. I just finished updating all of the original layout page by page for each of those two books, and am currently updating their covers.

We don't have all our books as POD on DTRPG or Lulu because of lack of time, not desire. POD books don't sell in large numbers, nor do we make a lot of money per book on them. Thus, they are a lower priority, as opposed to creating and publishing new books, which sell in far greater numbers and earn us a lot more money.

Ideally, it would be wonderful if every one of our out of print books lived on as a POD title available in hardcover and softcover bindings (as makes sense). We'll get there over time, but it takes more time to do this than you probably would estimate. We also have to separately redo each cover layout for hardcover format and softcover format. POD uses a different paper to what was used to print the "regular print run" for the book, so we have to adjust for the new spine width.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

3 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Sartar and the Sartar Companion are currently disabled on Lulu because of print quality issues. They shall return soon. I just finished updating all of the original layout page by page for each of those two books, and am currently updating their covers.

Great, these are so friggin good, I should have hard copies!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 9 months later...

Apologies for the necro here, but are there still plans to make the Sartar Companion available as POD via Lulu?  Sartar Kingdom of Heroes was also available as POD until recently, but I can no longer find it on the site.

Here is the Lulu page for Moon Design: Lulu

I'd also be interested to know if there are any plans to make The Missing Lands available as PDF or POD.

My guess would be, that Sartar:Kingdom of Heroes has been removed from Lulu, as it has been published under the HeroQuest brand, which is no longer owned by Moon Design.

If you look at the Chaosium web site, you will see, that the only hard cover books still available for HeroQuest are HeroQuest Glorantha and The Coming Storm, and these are on sale, because

On 9/22/2020 at 6:21 PM, MOB said:

Over coming months, Chaosium will be rebadging all HeroQuest products. 

"We are currently selling off existing printed stocks bearing the HeroQuest mark at a discount. Purchase these print releases while you can! Once these books are taken down from sale they will be out-of-print permanently," said Michael O'Brien.

(from the brand change announcement referenced above)

So neither Sartar:Kingdom of Heroes nor the Sartar Companion will be available in print or as POD as long as no new version under the QuestWorlds brand has been produced. As far as I know, currently there exist no plans to do so in the near future.

I'm pretty sure also, that The Missing Lands will not be made available as PDF or POD, because

"Volume 5 is Missing Lands which has largely been superseded by the Guide to Glorantha."

(From the comments section of the Stafford Library entry in the Well of Daliath.)

Edited by Oracle

18 minutes ago, SilverSeraph said:

Can these not be rebranded and put up for POD?  I would like them as well.

I'll assume that you are actually asking IF they will be rebranded. We have already said that we are working on that, but there are only so many hours in the day to do these sorts of projects. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I'll assume that you are actually asking IF they will be rebranded. We have already said that we are working on that, but there are only so many hours in the day to do these sorts of projects. 

Thank you Rick.  I didn't know there were plans.

I know all of you are busy.