BRP: Classic Fantasy (Was Sword & Spell)

threedeesix

I am very tempted to put together rules for character generation for a BRP version of Amber, but don't want to take time away from Interplanetary just now.

I am a huge fan of Amber Diceless Roleplaying and the Amber setting (I even wrote part of Shadow Knight and all of the unpublished Rebma sourcebook), but I don't see any reason that an Amber-set game must by default be diceless.

Please succumb to your temptation since you are posting comments that have little to do with Classic fantasy, so you need to get this Amber stuff off your chest. A change is as good as a rest they say. Then you will be refreshed for another round in the ring with Interplanetary.>:->

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the Classic Fantasy: Gamemastery manuscript coming along? :)

SGL.

Slow but sure. Right now I'm organizing the stuff that was originally to be in the single book that got pulled for volume 2.

Introduction: Finished

Chapter 1: Spot Rules (for GMs): Finished

Chapter 2: Non-Player Characters: About half done. Just wrote up the anti-paladin

Chapter 3: Monsters: About half done

Chapter 4: Treasure: Finished, but may add more if space allows.

Chapter 5: The Realm: Nothing done yet. Still up in the air.

Chapter 6: Adventures: Nothing done yet. Still up in the air.

A Fall submission while not out of the question may not be completely realistic.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that Classic Fantasy Vol. 1 is at the printer.

Volume II is a little behind schedule but I hope to have it turned in by the end of winter.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

Is this going to be a Chaosium monograph (meaning we won't get it in Europe :()?

In all fairness Gianni, we can get the monographs in Europe as long as we pay for postage and possible import tax.

My strategy is to wait until there are enough monographs that I want to get free shipping that is: $125 worth and hope the customs men don't stick me for the import tax, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

If it makes you guys feel better, we have to pay overseas shipping rates here in Canada, too, even though no seas are crossed! On top of that, an import tax is applied to the goods by Canada Customs which I have to pay at the post office to get my package, along with a $5.00 handling fee charged by Canada Customs to assess my tax! So I pay the same mail rates you do, plus a tax, plus a fee for a product that doesn't even get delivered to my door. And what really gets me is that my copy of In Search of the Trollslayer says, in small print on the back, "Made in Canada"!

I, too, save my purchases until $125 worth is in stock so I can get free shipping. This is a frustrating experience, since waiting for all the items that make up my $125 to actually be in stock at the same time can take a while, but it does shave about 25% off the bottom line.

At least these days the exchange rate is improving almost daily!

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

If it makes you guys feel better, we have to pay overseas shipping rates here in Canada, too, even though no seas are crossed! On top of that, an import tax is applied to the goods by Canada Customs which I have to pay at the post office to get my package, along with a $5.00 handling fee charged by Canada Customs to assess my tax! So I pay the same mail rates you do, plus a tax, plus a fee for a product that doesn't even get delivered to my door. And what really gets me is that my copy of In Search of the Trollslayer says, in small print on the back, "Made in Canada"!

Yeah, but you've got some pretty big lakes :D

Congratulations.:thumb:

There's a copy sold here. Or two or three.

And a lifesaver it is. I was thinking about Pathfinder, at least to play, because I REALLY have been wanting to get into an old style adventure oriented D&D sort of game lately (as player or GM). Pathfinder is just too much like 3.5, as pretty as it is. I am sure glad I decided to check out some old stomping grounds today...I had no idea. It's actually being printed!

About the monsters, if it's not too late, could you include two of my favorites (I didn't see them in the list), the manticore and griffon?

You have me all excited about a new game again, like a 10 year old.

A couple of other questions; what are the projected page counts of the two books? And, is Trollslayers fairly compatible?

And thank you. Very much. This is something I have wanted for a long time, and never got very far with on my own.:happy:

Congratulations.:thumb:

Thanks

About the monsters, if it's not too late, could you include two of my favorites (I didn't see them in the list), the manticore and griffon?

Im pretty sure I have already added the griffin and manticore to my list of monsters to include. Of course, monsters are to be in volume II, not I.

A couple of other questions; what are the projected page counts of the two books? And, is Trollslayers fairly compatible?

I cant really tell you yet as I have no idea. It all depends on what font size Chaosium went with and how much clip art they stuck in there. Charlie is suppose to give me more info when it gets back from the printer. I'll let you know then.

As for Trollslayers, I would say it's pretty compatable. Obviously neither Troy Wilhelmson nor myself were in contact during the creation of either book, so some assembly may be required. But there both BRP, so I think they should work together with little problem.

And thank you. Very much. This is something I have wanted for a long time, and never got very far with on my own.:happy:

I hope it helps those out there trying to bring their D&D campaigns over to BRP.

Rod

I just got an e-mail saying this will be available on the 23rd, and apparently is part of a 30% off Halloween sale. I looked at their catalog and there it was. Are the monographs sturdy enough to stand up to heavy use, or should I just go ahead and get the pdf?

Anyway, I cannot wait to get it sale or not....here we go!:D

I just got an e-mail saying this will be available on the 23rd, and apparently is part of a 30% off Halloween sale. I looked at their catalog and there it was. Are the monographs sturdy enough to stand up to heavy use, or should I just go ahead and get the pdf?

Anyway, I cannot wait to get it sale or not....here we go!:D

The monographs are every bit as sturdy as the core rulebook as far as I have experienced.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

I just bought Classic Fantasy and I can say that I really like this book so far. One thing I really like is that there are gods of myths that clerics can worship. It is so much better IMO to have priest of Odin or Thor than some made up god like Glorn the Good. Also, having Cthulhu active in a fantasy world is awesome. I hope many of the Elder Things are in the Realm too along with their sanity stealing magic. In any case, I can't wait to buy the second book. Good job!

I just bought Classic Fantasy and I can say that I really like this book so far. One thing I really like is that there are gods of myths that clerics can worship. It is so much better IMO to have priest of Odin or Thor than some made up god like Glorn the Good. Also, having Cthulhu active in a fantasy world is awesome. I hope many of the Elder Things are in the Realm too along with their sanity stealing magic. In any case, I can't wait to buy the second book. Good job!

My first mini-review. Thanks so much.

Rod