Giant Ice Spider

[SPOILER] Crossbows in The Hunt

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

Bears are pretty wimpy compared to a knight. Skill 13, 3d6 damage, twice.

Without your armor and your shield, that is +5d6 as far as average damage is concerned. So 8d6, twice, comparatively. That is risky, that is dangerous, and a much bigger threat than a Skill 5 (10-5 for fight mounted) 4d6 footman is to an armored knight. Currently, they are both worth the same, 10 Glory. We can go to HP calculation, SIZ and all that, and even if you are allowing Lance charges in the depths of the forest, the Bear is still a greater threat than a footman under the same circumstances.

Now, if we are saying that yeah, if you are wearing your armor and lance-charging the bear, maybe it isn't as glorious as fighting it in your hunting leathers with a spear on foot, sure, I would agree with that also. Halve the Glory or some such. But if you are with the Chase, your peers watching you as you get off your horse and approach the Bear at bay, and engage it with your hunting spear fearlessly and kill it, surely that is a feat worth celebrating? 10 Glory is 'nah, not worth the risk'. Boar is even worse, since it gives all its damage in one blow. 'Boarhunting' became an euphemism to get rid of characters' stat points via major wounds in our earlier campaign.

@Morien I agree totally. X5 is about what I do. That way if you go on a hunt and a whole chase and you kill a bear at least everyone gets 12 Glory out of it. And if you do it by yourself, it should be worth more than a wimpy peasant. Which it isn't currently. At that point, then I'd consider reducing the cost for killing a bear with a bow.

@Atgxtg Bears are wimpy. This has always struck me as odd considering boars and bulls are these brutal mankillers. Which, considering everything, isn't that unusual, but at least a bear should be able to hurt somebody. They're like glorified wolves. Which, actually, in my opinion are more dangerous because they usually are in multiples. Bears are barely more dangerous than a hart.

You want to make the bear truly dangerous? Get rid of the maul, which is a debuff, and instead give the bear a damage that matches its size and strength (25+25, which would be 8d6 with sword). Even just combining the two 3d6 damage rolls into a single 6d6 damage roll would make the bear much more terrifying, and actually a threat to an armored man.

Edited by Morien