Sign in to follow this  
Fábio Silva

Some Ideas on How to Start a Lovecraftian Adventure in Call or Trail of Cthulhu

I chated with some folks who read the blog and we talk a lot about how we started our adventures and how important it is to tie and motivative the Investigators at the beginning of a scenario or campaign. I thought I deserved to post the ideas in the blog.

How do you do? Lovecraft-style, throwing investigators into a whirlwind of strangeness, or in other ways?

http://invasiveprocedure.blogspot.com/2020/05/how-to-start-lovecraftian-adventure-in.html

I typically start with something curious but seemingly mundane and then let the players peel away the layers like a onion.

For example:

• An investigator get contacted by an old colleague,  relative, or some such who wants to meet with the investigator about something, but won't say what over the phone. 
  • Aforementioned contact dies suddenly. Probably by accident, or maybe by heart attack.
  • A few days later the investigator gets a package in the mail from the deceased with some vague clues about someone, ramblings that the contact was in fear of thier live, and a warning to the investigator.

At this point the investigators can start investigating (if not someone will come looking for the package), whih can real some sort of cult and more strange goings on someplace.