Should Tusk Riders suck at magic?

GAZZA

10 minutes ago, jongjom said:

...was the last tribal edit thread, AFAIK

...was the first tribal edit thread

As far as I can see these typos managed to get through both in-house and tribal edits, until now! 

Darn.

e: I'll send MOB a pm about it.

Edited by Brootse

6 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

That’s what happens when you have a game this complex, and (apparently) without some dedicated rules QA guy in the editing process.

I am not sure how many people look over each document before it goes out as a PDF, or in the tribal edit. However, some people focus on the rules, some on Gloranthan Lore, some on MGF, some on Grammar/Spelling, some on art, some on layout, and no doubt some on other stuff that I'm not really aware that needs focusing on but will no doubt notice if it goes wrong. 

Some glitches will always get through, and it is good that they can be brought up so that next time that type of error can be added to the check list. 

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

That’s what happens when you have a game this complex, and (apparently) without some dedicated rules QA guy in the editing process.

Unfortunately, that's what appears to have happened. They may have had several people looking at it, but not someone who is really picky about rules. Fortunately, we have many such people on this forum, myself included!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 minutes ago, metcalph said:

A simple answer to Xiobalg and Durag might be that the Cult of Bloody Tusk is three gods (Aram, Gouger and the demon) so the CHA limits for Bloody Tusk magic is actually tripled.  

Another answer - they aren't player characters. But in truth, this was just a typo. Really doesn't make any difference in the scenario. Xiolbalg's lousy CHA is why his band is so torn by dissension.

Tusker Riders have a low charisma. They "lead" through viciousness and torture, and lack even the brutal charisma of your average dark troll. Their method of gaining spirits is to bind their victim's spirits through Death Binding, and have their victim's cast spells for them. They don't require CHA to become a Rune Lord, and a Tusk Rider with a CHA of 10 is going to dominate their band. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Another answer - they aren't player characters. But in truth, this was just a typo. Really doesn't make any difference in the scenario. Xiolbalg's lousy CHA is why his band is so torn by dissension.

Tusker Riders have a low charisma. They "lead" through viciousness and torture, and lack even the brutal charisma of your average dark troll. Their method of gaining spirits is to bind their victim's spirits through Death Binding, and have their victim's cast spells for them. They don't require CHA to become a Rune Lord, and a Tusk Rider with a CHA of 10 is going to dominate their band. 

Gods and spirits generally disdain the Tusk Riders. Which is why they are reduced to worshiping the god-pig and darkness-demon their ancestor defeated. I don't even think they get any magic actually from Aram.

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, metcalph said:

A simple answer to Xiobalg and Durag might be that the Cult of Bloody Tusk is three gods (Aram, Gouger and the demon) so the CHA limits for Bloody Tusk magic is actually tripled.  

Good news for Seven Mothers cultists, who get an even higher multiplier! 😉

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Haha 3

Thinking about it, there is one form of magic they're no worse at than any other species. 

Tusk Riders would make fine sorcerers, as their INT and POW are fine, and we all know sorcerers have no problem being assholes. 

Enslaving people's spirits? Perfectly fine with sorcery! Even makes it easier!

Plus you can learn Tap Charisma to get back at anyone who calls you an uncharismatic bore. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/24/2020 at 5:58 PM, Jeff said:

I don't even think they get any magic actually from Aram.

Yes, all their magic is accessible through their Death rune or Beast Rune. You could maybe say Aram is the source of some of their access to Common Rune magic if you wanted to, or that Aram was the first person to use Appease Earth to sacrifice to the God Pig, but he is clearly far less important than the other two. 

A Tusk Rider leader is a great villain in a game I am playing in. He uses the Sleep spell because he used Death Binding on a Chalana Arroy healer, and used it to capture my PC and then have her tortured almost to death using Seal Wound so she was incapacitated for most of a season with painful unhealable wounds. If you want a truly loathsome villain your players will hate, Tusk Riders work great. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2020 at 5:15 AM, davecake said:

A Tusk Rider leader is a great villan 

One of my reoccurring bad Dudes is a kick ass Female Tusk Rider Rune Lord. 

Lots of bound spirits. Loves Torture. Sacrifices her followers. 

Bound the Great Pig of Pig Hollow and generally scared my players 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 6:42 AM, Akhôrahil said:

Because Rune Points are capped by Cha (per cult, but I imagine the Bloody Tusk doesn’t have too many friendly cults...).

Agreed.  This is covered on page 275 RQG under Initiate Benefits.  IDK that this CHA limit should apply to Priests, but I haven't read anything to suggest it doesn't.