Sign in to follow this  
Clophiroth

Adventures for Squires

Hello, co-posters!

Due to certain circumstances in my campaign (early deaths, mostly) for the next three years my two players will be playing as squires, the eldest children of their previous characters. The problem is... Squires are really restricted in what they can do. Most adventures are written for knights, and most actions will, rightfully, be seen as stealing Glory belonging to proper knights. Last session was a bit of a comical adventure (dealing with a pooka who stole the warhorse of one of the knights while they were camping, and they tried to get the horse back before the knights woke up!), but that is a trick that will exhaust itself very soon, so...

Can you help me? What adventures ideas do you think are cool and appropiate with squires? This year is the battle between Nanteleod and Malahaut, and the knights whom the player serve will surely participate, as we are playing with Cambrian knights, and I was thinking to make a battle-lite (each turn the players would roll to a event they have to participate in: from helping their knights out from an ambush, to fight against infantry which is less of a glory-steal, to help carry their wounded knights/search for a horse), so I think I have this year covered, but there are still two other years to cover... Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks, people. 

Battlefield promotions are a thing...

One option that could be considered is to incapacitate the knights that they're serving somehow (e.g. a sudden illness) and then something comes up. The bedridden knights, seeing no other option, send their squires out to deal with the task. Successful completion is then seen as the squires proving their worth and winning their spurs. Hence promotion early to knighthood...

As Arcadiagt5 said, you can easily get the PK squires knighted early, if they are already close to the knighting age. (My usual cut-off is 18 years; one of the current PKs is 19.5 years old, since his previous PK died during the summer.) What you have in mind for this year, the squires saving the lives of their knights, that is plenty enough to state that they have proven their worth and get knighted early. Alternatively, I think there is heavier fighting ahead, and Nanteleod might decide that every knight is needed: why keep these guys as squires when they already have the (minimum) skills and the equipment necessary for knighthood? Step up and fight for your King and Country!

Now, if you specifically want to keep them as squires and run squire-centric adventures, that is another kettle of fish.

10 minutes ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Battlefield promotions are a thing...

One option that could be considered is to incapacitate the knights that they're serving somehow (e.g. a sudden illness) and then something comes up. The bedridden knights, seeing no other option, send their squires out to deal with the task. Successful completion is then seen as the squires proving their worth and winning their spurs. Hence promotion early to knighthood...

That was something I thought, early promotion if they do well. Specially in next session, which is a battle!

Just now, Morien said:

As Arcadiagt5 said, you can easily get the PK squires knighted early, if they are already close to the knighting age. (My usual cut-off is 18 years; one of the current PKs is 19.5 years old, since his previous PK died during the summer.) What you have in mind for this year, the squires saving the lives of their knights, that is plenty enough to state that they have proven their worth and get knighted early. Alternatively, I think there is heavier fighting ahead, and Nanteleod might decide that every knight is needed: why keep these guys as squires when they already have the (minimum) skills and the equipment necessary for knighthood? Step up and fight for your King and Country!

Now, if you specifically want to keep them as squires and run squire-centric adventures, that is another kettle of fish.

I don't really care about keeping them as squires: I would rather make them knights soon, although the players seem to want to play as squires for a bit.

8 hours ago, Clophiroth said:

the players seem to want to play as squires for a bit.

Well if it is something that they have expressed interest in, it might behoove you to cater to their interest...

I mean, if they are not keen on resuming the life of a knight, why push them? They can play squires in Battles and whatnot, and it is still possible to play some adventures with them while they are squires. Unfortunately, the Anarchy is not the best time for squire-antics: it is much more fun when they are able to act as go-betweens and messengers between a knight and his adored lady, or have to foil a dastardly plot by their knight's rival to cause the knight to embarrass himself during a tournament or stuff like that, which can happen in the later periods. Squires are also acting as servers during the feasts, and might have an opportunity to try to smooth things over, or prevent other squires from making things worse, etc.

I'd talk to the players and find out why they want to play squires, and what is it that they hope to get out of it.

• Like 1

Maybe you can use the squires as messengers, or even as "investigators"  (a murder, a taxe issue, whatever) while the war is raging elsewhere.

Otherwise, I wrote a little adventure for squires here.

Why not have squire A's knight suffer a major wound or whatever so the squire is out of battle. Then squire B's knight captures an enemy and gives the captive to squire B to take to the rear lines. The captive of course escapes and then the two squires have to re-capture him or face the wrath of the knight. The escapee flees into an old forest/tower/whatever where many dangers lurk.

Edited by 7dot62mm