courteous lover in solar pantheon

5 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

hum would say cold suns too

Planetary Sons?

9 hours ago, Darius West said:

I actually strongly doubt that Solar Society has balls.  This was not a feature of Ancient or Classical life on Earth, so why would it be in Glorantha either? 

I suppose that Dara Happan court ceremonial will have circular parades which may be understood as dance. The rites planned for the inauguration of the New Lunar Temple had a celestial dance,

I suspect the idea of chaperones, matchmakers, and arranged marriages, with a bit of awkward conversation under the hawkish gaze of a black clad grim faced widowed aunt is far more likely. 

What would conversation with the bride or groom to be have to do with a Dara Happan Yelmic marriage, or its proposal?

The whole Romeo soliloquy beneath the balcony, and subsequent climb and "seduction" would be considered a chaotic act in Yelmish society. 

Not really. It's the act of a peasant. Being caught at that may bring demotion or sideways promotion to "interesting" offices, like the Dorastan census. (Jaxarte got off lightly.)

Is your use of "Yelmish" rather than "Yelmic" indicating anything?

The birth of a bastard child will lead to ogres.

Superior physical abilities for the price of a slight eating disorder?

It isn't a bastard if the mother is (or becomes, within pregnancy) a regular concubine of the father (or other groom).

All of that doesn't take into account that the powerful Yelmic families have embraced the Lunar Way. There may be purists around, but Argenteus behaves like the epitome of a Dara Happan noble. If only by virtue of his office.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 5/27/2020 at 9:09 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Polaris is lord of the dance, among other things.

Yes. And most of his followers are military officers. 

Which clearly means regimental balls. 

On 5/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, Darius West said:

I actually strongly doubt that Solar Society has balls.  This was not a feature of Ancient or Classical life on Earth, so why would it be in Glorantha either? 

Because it's funny. 

• Like 3

On 5/27/2020 at 10:38 PM, Darius West said:

Solar pantheon grabs me as having a lot of arranged marriages rather than ideas of Fine Amor.  Much more Apollonian rather than Dionysian. 

The tradition of courtly love flourished precisely because most marriages were arranged for reasons other than love, and so a tradition arose that allowed the expression of love and romance with a partner you were not married to, and it was about as Apollonian a romantic tradition as you could imagine - love that could, at least in theory, be expressed only through noble deeds, worship from afar, and lyric poetry. 

Which isn't to say it didn't turn into illicit affairs in practice, but it is a tradition designed to separate the romantic desire from sexual lust and activity as much as plausibly possible, even if its frequently failed in its denial of human nature. 

I've not heard of turning up in Gloranthan society, but if it did it would seem the Solar pantheon social rules were well suited to it. 

• Like 3

On 5/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, Darius West said:

I suspect the idea of chaperones, matchmakers, and arranged marriages, with a bit of awkward conversation under the hawkish gaze of a black clad grim faced widowed aunt is far more likely. 

If you make marriage a thing that does not involve love and romance, then you create the ideal conditions for traditions of illicit romance to flourish. Courtly love acknowledge that, and then tries to separate illicit romance from sex and physical pleasure as much as possible so that romance can at least flourish artistically. 

The Yelm cult absolutely will believe in arranged marriages, chaperones, etc. Power is inherited, and must be protected. 

The Yelm cult has to play funny games in order to both be an uptight cult that denies romance and sexual attraction, while also being about fertility (one of his titles is even Fertility Bringer) and sex myths, and it has to do so (somewhat hilariously) by separating Yelms phallus off into an entirely separate deity, Berneel Arashagern, with its VERY OBVIOUS serpent imagery. But sex and reproduction is absolutely a part of the Yelm and Dendara cults, and I suspect the Berneel Arashagern rites and myths are a good deal filthier than the Yelm worshippers like to admit in public.

In fact Dendara is very focussed on marriage and motherhood, because so much of her other functions are sort of separated away, and Dendara can be regarded as a deity of sexuality and female power tamed. Oria is far more separate from Dendara than Esrola is from Ernalda, her sky powers and own sovereignty powers are separated off into Entekos, and many of her aspects of protecting woman and female power (and women in fully control of their sexuality) are separated into Gorgorma and demonised. Dendara's myths (or at least, the ones we know) are mostly about what she isn't rather than what she is - the big myth about Dendara is the Marriage Contest from GROY about all how all the other different female deities are unsuitable for being Yelm's wife. Dendara's role as weaver lets her clothe naked humanity, further cementing her role as being about restricting sexuality. 

So yes, arranged marriages with sexuality and romance thoroughly restricted only to its use in creating children to carry on the dynasty. 

But that's not the whole story of Dara Happa. The Dara Happans acknowledge other goddesses, they know of Uleria, they know of Oria, they know of Entekos and Oslira. The Yelmic dynasties appear to have concubinage traditions from ancient eras. Uleria is hated by the more pious Yelmites (such as Plentonius), but is hated in part because they know of her disruptive power, and they are a tiny proportion of the Dara Happan people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, davecake said:

Yes. And most of his followers are military officers. 

Which clearly means regimental balls. 

Because it's funny. 

We have a Secret Policeman's Ball in A Rough Guide to Glamour, if you look closely enough.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 8:29 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

Hello.

If we except lodrili behaviours, I am pretty sure there is a place for courtesy even in dara happa.

What divine figure could a solar noble invoke to obtain  any benefits ? (please don't try yelmalio, I will not believe you)

How courtesy would be applied ? poetry ? danse ? painting ?

Shargash immediately comes to mind...

<leaving the room promptly>

• Haha 3