Playing aids for RQG - Spell/magic cards?

I don't see these much, in play.

Does anyone know (from convention & other events) how common they actually are?

I suspect this is something that doesn't scale well -- that only a very small percentage of players use these,

C'es ne pas un .sig

I've seen them fairly often. Any system with a bunch of disparate abilities can benefit from them, since they mean you don't have to go flipping through the book every minute or so to remember what something does. Even just a sheet of paper with spell effects summarized on it is nice, but for systems with a whole lot of spells a deck can sometimes both look and feel nicer to use.

I made my own cards for spirit spells for my games.  I've found it helps the players use their spells more since they do not need to look up the effect in the book every time, especially for new players (i have run a few introductory games for new players at my uni). For the rune spells I printed a small booklet with all common spells and all the special once the players have. 

For convention games I provide a single page synopsis of each PC's magical abilities - but that can overwhelm some players with too much info. Having all PC's cast magic is a big thing for some coming from the 'other game', I've heard the "can't I just play a regular fighter" more than once. Still I find the reference sheets very useful.

46 minutes ago, g33k said:

Does anyone know (from convention & other events) how common they actually are?

Pretty much everyone I know who plays 5E, and plays a spellcaster, uses them (including myself, though I haven't gotten to play my cleric in a while).

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

OK, so the use is well-attested (despite my contrary experience... which I guess is in the minority).

Flash news from Chaosium -- the Red Book of Magic project has been cancelled!   (edit:  calm down, good master StormSpear -- it's a joke, a joke!)

Flash news from Chaosium -- Chaosium announces the Red Deck of Magic spell-cards.  😇

😉

Edited by g33k
edited for reasons
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

53 minutes ago, g33k said:

Flash news from Chaosium -- the Red Book of Magic project has been cancelled!   (edit:  calm down, good master StormSpear -- it's a joke, a joke!)

Flash news from Chaosium -- Chaosium announces the Red Deck of Magic spell-cards.  😇

Calm down Wakboth!

• Like 2

I've never used extras like spell cards in game, but looking at the D&D 5e merchandise it struck me that something similar for RunQuest could be helpful. I think the spells are the most fiddly part to RQG characters and NPC's, something like this could make it less intimidating to new players, and the game run more smoothly at the table. 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

I created some magic item cards (crystals, weapons, etc.) for my game but I think I tried to get too fancy and quickly burned myself out. Players really liked them. I liked them because I had them place them on or above the character sheet where I could see them and more readily adapt the game to the PC's. In a melee combat situation you would see what your opponnet was using and adapt to the weapon or Rune (Magic Rune Symbol, Spell Title and Description so we were not always having to look up information).

36 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think this is a great idea. I'm guessing that anything fan created for this should be personal use only, if Chaosium could bring it out as a product.

That's how I know it's in the works; I asked if I could make it for the JC. :S

• Like 1
  • Haha 3