Glorantha Movie Night

Bergguy

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

If you can somehow get hold of Hrafninn flýgur (When the Raven Flies in English), it’s an old but good Norse Icelandic revenge story, with a spectacular soundtrack. 

Most famous couple of lines: 

I dont get it. Is it some sort of very clever wordplay in islandic?

36 minutes ago, Borygon said:

I dont get it. Is it some sort of very clever wordplay in islandic?

I'm not sure why, but it's become incredibly iconic - this and the music is what everyone remembers. "Þungur hnífur" is basically the most Icelandic thing it's possible to say. It's probably more a case of being laconic.

Edited by Akhôrahil

Some nice suggestions, I second Conan and 13th Warrior! Nice call on Apocolypto, I'll have to watch it again.

I give a nod to Ben Hur and some similar epics, definitely Samson and Delilah, as well as the sword and sandal Hercules B-movies of the '60's.

Kings of the Sun (1963, Yul Brynner) is outstanding, Song of Hiawatha (1997) is an interesting tale.

Troy (2004) was a good fun film, despite taking out much of the divinity present in the Iliad. But it maintains the visuals of heroic bronze age fighting.

Quest for Fire is worth a nod, perhaps closer to Wurm than Glorantha.

Beowulf and Grendel (2005), a different interpretation of the story, and the animated Beowulf (2007), worth it for Ray Winstone's "I am gripper!" speech alone!

And, definitely, Centurion (2010), easily a Lunars in Sartar story!

• Like 1

Capturing Glorantha is a different task. I tend to think of an ancient world setting, steeped in living mythology, with touches of bizarre 'trippiness' and sometimes even a 'western' flavour at times. It's a place where Achilles would be adoredby the public, but there is also room for down and dusty anit-heroes like Mad Max as well. It is difficult to put Glorantha into words and images, so the only way to do it is to approach it as a collage.

Films:

300: Rise Of An Empire (especially the later works well for the Lunar Empire)

Conan The Barbarian (Arnie version)

Valhalla Rising

Alexander

Bahubali

Clash of the Titans 

Wrath of the Ttians

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad

Jason And The Argonauts

The 13th Warrior

Hercules (Dwayne Johnson version)

Satyricon (very 'trippy')

Troy

The Man With No Name Trilogy (ok, yep these are Westerns, but the vibe can be thrown into Glorantha in a major way)

Deadman (another Western, but it feels like a HeroQuest or the Spirit Plane)

TV Series:

HBO ROME (definately)

History Channel's 'Vikings" 

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I love art collages! One of my favourite activities is to recommend reading lists/film lists to people. 

It's so challenging to choose films. Glorantha is such a unique fantasy setting because I feel like it distills a lot of mythic ideas from across the world (while also adding Greg's unique vision). As a lover of mythology, there's so many easter eggs scattered throughout the world. I really dig how Ernalda is depicted with twin snakes, symbols that go hand in hand with earth and fertility around the world. 

I think it will be a challenge to bring to the table what I want to do with my players. I've always enjoyed bringing my players to powerful emotional places. I want to bring them on a weird mythic journey. I want them to almost feel like they are getting in touch with the primal world of myth. I think I'll need to ease them in slowly into the ocean of mythology. Film might be a good way to start. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 8:49 AM, Crel said:

I'd say Terry Gilliam's film Time Bandits has the right sort of zany

The King Agamemnon scenes with Sean Connery are, for me, some of the most vividly Gloranthan/RuneQuest imagery (that is not actually Gloranthan) put on screen...

[the rest of the above scene is excellent too, but alas not to be found with a quick look on YouTube. King Agamemon and the kid then go back to the city, which has a very New Pavis vibe...]

• Like 5

On 5/29/2020 at 3:11 PM, Brootse said:

13th Warrior for what the combat is like.

I agree 100%.  I'm just not sure where in Glorantha the Norsemen would represent.  I'm not as familiar with areas outside of Dragon Pass, the Lunar Tarsh, and the Prax (Pavis area).  

On 5/29/2020 at 4:02 PM, gochie said:

Literally one of the worst films I've ever seen... lol.

Conan the Barbarian for me.

Conan is a VERY GOOD movie but I selected the two movies I did based on HOW they depicted the civilizations in them, NOT on their "cinematic value" or how entertaining they are.  Sadly,  Glorantha is so "unique" that I doubt there is any fantasy movie that can truly represent it.  It is a place that would need a movie that was actually written so as to take place in Glorantha.   

On 5/29/2020 at 7:19 PM, Ian Absentia said:

Even the huge soft spot in my heart for this film can't give it a pass.  But you finds Glorantha where you finds it.

!i!

It's the only fantasy movie I can think of that is set in the right time period with the right range of cultural levels (primitive, barbarian, & civilized) interacting with each other that isn't also  "high fantasy" from a magic use or character action level.   If we go "high fantasy," then several options come into play.  For some reason Clash of The Titans pops into my mind immediately.  The Hero goes on an impossible quest aided by magic from the Gods to change the World.   My preference is for the older film though.  I've ALWAYS been a fan of Ray Harryhousen's claymation monsters.

13 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

Interesting - given that the movie lacks the gods, most would suggest that more realistic!  Fall of a City is FAR better, not least due to the gods.... 

I mean more with the interactions between the people (ie, the sort of things that made it a better film). Not just relying on big names and spectacles.

2 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Let's throw in some heroquest movies. The Bill & Ted movies, and A Chinese Ghost Story, are superb.

Agreed.

Whale Rider, 10,000BC and the Pathfinder films are all HeroQuests.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Heroquest Movies?
The Lego Movie. Everyman character becomes the chosen one, travels through different realms, eventually visits the Other World/Godtime, meets the Gods, and changes their behaviour. 

Other films that capture Glorantha:
The Lion King. Covers importance of your place in Society,  collapse of Empires when the proper way isn't followed, classic Hero's Journey, and has a Baboon Shaman, who should provide inspiration for any number of Baboon characters. 
The Asterix Movies. Nowhere near as good as the comics, they do still provide a good begining point for the whole Orlanthi vs Lunars thing. (These Lunars are crazy.)

The Robin of Sherwood TV show. Not the right time period, but it always felt a bit more RQ than D&D. Lightly armoured ne'er do wells, able to sneak, and fight, and having to be clever rather than just use brawn. Herne the Hunter is a great inspiration for RQ Spirit cults.

HeroQuesting films that follow Campbell's Hero's Journey are covered in loads of articles, there's a lot of Matrix & Star Wars (Lucas is a huge fan of Campbell, his Power of Myth documentary was filmed at Skywalker Ranch) but there are others. Once you realise what Christopher Vogler did, you'll see it in plenty of Disney films.

Great flowchart (infographic) - Here are 6 iconic movies that follow the hero’s journey: https://venngage.com/blog/heros-journey/

5 Films That Play Out The Monomyth: https://www.nyfa.edu/student-resources/5-films-that-play-out-the-monomyth/

None of the films are actually going to be Glorantha (unless Greg's Glorantha film script is ever used!). Many of my favourites have been mentioned already, but:

Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

The water margin TV series (1976 English dubbed) not a film but a good binge watch

Monkey (1978) not a film but a good binge watch.

• Like 5

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

HeroQuesting films that follow Campbell's Hero's Journey are covered in loads of articles...

Yeah, it may be worth differentiating between the Hero's Journey and something akin to heroquesting as experienced in Glorantha.  Otherwise we're going to be wading through pages of posts about Kung Fu Panda and Space Chimps and every movie where the protagonist discovers "what makes them special" or "gets their mojo back."

The heroquesting narrative features departing the mortal or "real" world to encounter archetypal characters and situations, and a return with a boon.  I cited Whale Rider earlier, initially out of similarities to another movie, but also because of the presence of supernatural events in an otherwise realistic story and a key moment when the main character is taken out of this world in mythic fashion to return later with a boon that heals her tribe.

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

21 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

*cough* (Kimba the White Lion) *cough*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimba_the_White_Lion

!i!

That animated series, "Serengeti mustn't die" and a toy inspired 11 year old me to write a book on a discolored elephant leading an exodus of beasts with/for my little sister. Refugee heroes, a staple of all manner of myths and literature.

Without any plane shifts, such stories are good Godtime templates. To make them a heroquest is to add a player character-inhabited "here and now" interacting with those patterns. Add some artifacts, story snippets, and how to activate the artifacts, and you have your big magic.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

42 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Could you tell more about this?

I've actually seen this as well, but never read it -

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:42:12 +1100
Darran discovers a powerful relic from another time...

>What do you know about this Gloranthian movie script?

Copies have occasionally surfaced from Greg as auction items at conventions.

The script was produced in the early 1980s. It's a compromise between Gloranthan content and generic sword and sorcery. From memory (and I'm happy to be corrected here - its probably eight years since I've read the thing), it features a dragonewt character but also a fairly generic D&D-style elf. The script is not particularly Gloranthan in either setting or style bar a power crystal or two - mind you, in the early eighties most of us were playng early, freewheeling conceptions of RQ Glorantha.

The script will be a bit of a nostalgia piece for RQ-era questers, may their blades never bend and their disruptions always burn.

Remember the Gygaxic fever and hype over the D&D movie? And look what it turned out as...

Have a rummage here - https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/HeroQuestRPG/24999.html

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

9 hours ago, Brootse said:

Could you tell more about this?

"Pandelume
or 
True Dreams
or 
The RuneQuest Movie"

was not by Greg Stafford, but by Christopher Gore (of FAME fame)

Greg sponsored Conventions with a copy of this script now and then. 
It is a movie script in 58 scenes. 

IMHO it isn´t very gloranthan, runequestish or good. 

• Like 1