Glorantha Movie Night

Bergguy

50s-60s european Sword & Sandal movies and the hollywood period epics that inspired them are my go to Bronze Age cinematic inspiration, especially the ones with Kirk Douglas (Spartacus, Ulysses, The Vikings).
I really, really enjoy the HBO series Rome, as some have previously recommended also. It does a great job of portraying how gods and religion took part in the everyday life of ancient mediterranea, from nobles to slaves to soldiers. Can't think of better inspiration for Tarsh.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:20 PM, GMKen said:

Musa (the Warrior)/Dragon Inn.  The first will make you want to learn how to fight with a one-handed spear and features some excellent battle sequences.  Dragon Inn helped serve as inspiration for the recent RQG adventure Highwall Inn.  Make sure you bring your own chopsticks.  There have been follow-ons, like Blades of the Dragon Inn that are also fun.

Yes! Korean and Chinese cinema is GREAT inspiration for ancient warfare if you take the time to look through it.

• 1 year later...

Just stumbled across an animated series that is giving me a strong Gloranthan vibe, specifically Votanki hunter in the Elder Wilds.   By the guy that did Samurai Jack, it is called Primal, and features a Neolithic hunter who loses his family to a brutal T. rex attack, and ends up bonding with an allosaurus who lost his family to a brutal T. Rex attack.  They learn to hunt together (a la the movie Alpha) and eventually become a team in the brutal struggle to survive.  And I mean brutal.  It is full-on Nature is Red in Tooth and Claw and look, here’s another example: chomp!

It gives me Wurm vibes, while the mix of allosaurs and mammoths and giant crocodiles has an Elder Wilds feel to it.  Quite fun.

Also, for anyone looking for some Viking action, the manga series The Vinland Saga is pretty good, if a bit graphically gory.  Eyeballs popping out from massive blows, that sort of thing.  But includes one of my ancestors, Eric the Red, so I do have that bias.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 1:20 AM, GMKen said:

The overall arc is 12 Rune Lords/Priests/Lord-Priests from mostly minor cults a.... Oh, and the 13th warrior is a dragonewt.  For some reason.  No one really gets that one, but it is what it is.

I'm pretty sure they'll also need a 14th... an enlo.... who's a 'burglar'.....

Just this week I finally caught up on the last several seasons of The Venture Bros. and was mildly astonished to see a heroquest in the last episode of Season 7 (S7E10, The Saphrax Protocol).  The Monarch and Henchman 21 are initiated into the higher ranks of The Guild of Calamitous Intent in an elaborate ceremony where they're walked through recitations of the stations of Guild history and they ceremonially act out the events.  What we see is the mundane side of things, but it struck me that this is what an outsider would see of a community enacting a heroquest ritual.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2020 at 7:54 AM, Bergguy said:

here's also an australian film called Ten Canoes, it's one of my favourite films because just watching feels like entering a myth realm. No magic, just cool story structure. It was floating on youtube for a while. 

"I'm just going to talk with him."

"If you're just going to talk, why are you taking your spear?"

😃

• 2 months later...

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Agora on this list 

It covers the life and death of Hypatia, the famous Pagan (Pantheist) martyr in the 4th Century.  It offers some insight into the workings of ancient scholarship and could serve as a model for the Lhankor Mhy Temple in Nochet during the political upheavals of the end of the 3rd Age.

Also, where in the name of Python is the love for The Life of Brian?  Half of you quote Python while playing, fess up. 😄

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/1/2022 at 3:28 AM, Darius West said:

where in the name of Python is the love for The Life of Brian?  Half of you quote Python while playing, fess up. 😄

Among my go-to cultural references!  🙂  As the Imtherians know well, "Blessed are the cheesemakers!"

• Haha 2

I believe the surreal, otherworldly vibe of Gloranthan magic myth and legend is best represented on film not by live action but with animation. Especially (not exclusively) if it was made in some obscure Soviet client state in the early 80's. Here are some examples.

Suur Tõll (1980) - Available in its entirety on Youtube! A unsettling, surreal, at times hyperviolent tale of an Estonian Giant beset by a weird forest Chaos thing with multi-pupilled eyes (like that one dude in In The Mouth of Madness)

Grendel Grendel Grendel (1981) - A very loose adaptation of the John Gardner novel with a great vocal performance by Peter Ustinov in the titular role. Don't be put off by the musical numbers and cute characters; it's quite melancholy is full of great mythic imagery. The Shaper in particular is clearly spreading some kind of EWF draconic conciousness...

Son of the White Mare (1981) - Based on Hungarian mythology, this is basically a direct window into Grazelander cosmology as far as I'm aware. Not on Youtube, sadly, but the trailer should hopefully whet your appetite:

Peleda (2012) - Not a full movie but more Baltic mythology goodness. Nature spirits, owl queens, runes everywhere you see. A short series - definitely worth sparing 18 minutes for. Here's the first episode.

I swear I've recommended these before but Cartoon Saloon's Irish Folklore trilogy: The Secret of Kells (2009), Song of the Sea (2014) and Wolfwalkers (2020) are so good at portraying the Spirit World it's unreal. The last of these has some really good Hsunchen.

The Monkey King: Havoc In Heaven (1961) - You know the story well, needs no introduction. Look how beautiful this rendition is, though!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This is NOT spam, and NOT unrelated content.

After seeing (and loving) the Bahubali movie(s) i was eager to see the new movie from the same author/director duo.

It is a film set in 1920s india. Two rebels against the british ocupators.

The heroes are larger than life.
It is a bromance, but also includes two little romances.
There is a lot of over the top action, and very well made CGI effects.
There is some singing and dancing, but never inappropriate, it all is fitting to the film.
There is drama, betrayel, HEROISM, and more.

The film has no fantasy elements what so ever (except the larger than live heroes deeds, heroic poses, etc.).

After watching just the trailer i thought at first, that apart from watching this movie i could use some of the ideas in the film for Call of Cthulhu. It is set in the 1920s in india! Add some cthuloid elements and motivations, and the british could be Cthulhu worshippers, trying to enslave the indian population to feed their god! Or the indians worship an ancient Great Old One, and the british investigators have to stop the savages!
Whatever...

I was WRONG!

This movie is not one i see as adapting ideas from for Cthulhu, but for Glorantha (RQG or QW)!

The british occupation is the Lunar occupation.
The two heroes (main characters) are from two different indian regions, and have their own motivations, and try to do it their individual ways.
One of them (Bheem) is to me an Odayla hunter/protector of his community. I can´t decide what the other one (Ram) is... It is not easy to hide your true loyalty for a long time in Glorantha...

My advice:
Go and watch this movie. It is excellent!

I saw this movie an hour ago at the cinma in Telugo with english subtitles. The british actors speak english (and are also subtitled in english), the indian actors speak Telugu (and are subtitled in english), on rare coccasions some indian actors speak a few sentences in english (which also also subtitled in english).

Attached the trailer in Telugu, but you can add english subtitles on Youtube.

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just came home from watching "The Northman" and I really enjoyed it. Fate, oracles, god rivalry, magic as seen by the believers. It may not be as it was, from music, to buildings, to fighting... but it has verosimilitude.

I really liked the berserkers pre-battle preparation, but in fact I liked all of it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The Scythian/Last Warrior - Is a Russian  movie that has a lot of crazy Gloranthan flavour.
Midsommar - A bunch of Godlearner apprentices go on a jolly to pagan lands. Hilarity ensues.
I agree on Warrior (Korea), but would throw in Warrior (India) as a tale of a lone Humakti who seeks his lost honour.
It also bears reapeating, one of the finest non-Gloranthan Gloranthan comics is Mesolith. It has serious Votanki/Hsunchen vibes.