ACES HIGH - A Weird Wild-West Supplement for the BRP System

Trifletraxor

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My estimeed colleague has quite clearly dropped a d6, there are Definately no chickens! Turkeys, however are a different issue...

That was it... turkeys. Now that I own a "physical" copy of Aces High, I WILL be throwing zombie turkeys at my Classic Fantasy players. Cleric Turning Undead: Be gone foul... fowl.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Rod, you do have a screw loose. But... how do you feel about... bunnies?

Now that would just be silly. There is no way my group could take on a killer bunny... without a holy hand grenade. Run away!

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe that could be a project, a comprehensive ' Guns of the old west ' PDF ?

Well, I'd be able to help with anyone getting that started. I spent many months researching historical firearms data for the period 1870-1880, and put together a free series of pdfs for anyone to use (so there's no excuse for anyone guesstimating costs, etc.; the information is freely available to use, though it'd be nice if someone did use it if they credited me with a little thanks and let me know). Unlike most folks doing such reseach (who only ever seem to use the Montgomery Ward 1895, and Sears Roebuck 1895 (because they're easy to locate), I spent a chunk of cash and time grabbing copies of many other catalogues, including the P. Powell & Son 1875, James Bown & Son 1876, E. Remington & Sons 1877, etc. catalogues. In total I've obtained and used 12 period catalogues putting the pdfs together, plus the historical data from a variety of other texts including Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms.

I have historical details on a bunch of other costs, etc. beyond these, but never put the extra pdf up so if anyone wants it they need to PM me.

So, if you want authentic costs and details (accompanied by images to scale of each weapon), researched over a long period, and for goddamn free, just freaking ask.

I've done similar, much, much more extensive files on gear and weapons of the 1930s too.

cheers!

Colin

Edited by Colin Chapman

Creator of Radioactive Ape Designs, award-nominated publisher of Atomic Highway and other fine RPG publications!

• 1 month later...

...Aces High available in print no longer?...

The way I understand it is that the Monographs have a short print run and are then replenished when they are sold out. I noticed the Aces High hardcopy disapear last year, and then come back. I assume when they next do a batch of printing it will become available again.

For me, I take this as a good sign. It means the hardcopy has sold out!

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

The way I understand it is that the Monographs have a short print run and are then replenished when they are sold out. I noticed the Aces High hardcopy disapear last year, and then come back. I assume when they next do a batch of printing it will become available again.

For me, I take this as a good sign. It means the hardcopy has sold out!

I sure hope so! Aces High are so far my favourite Monograph since I returned to BRP. I normally don't care much about the Wild West but it really got me going. We created characters last week and plan on running the first adventure this weekend. I takes place in Lawrence of Kansas Territory 1856 where the players are thrown into a slavery vs. anti-slavery conflict before I send them on towards more "weird" adventures.

... Aces High are so far my favourite Monograph ...

Thankee for the kind words pard!

... We created characters last week and plan on running the first adventure this weekend. I takes place in Lawrence of Kansas Territory 1856 where the players are thrown into a slavery vs. anti-slavery conflict before I send them on towards more "weird" adventures.

Excellent! I usually pitch my scenarios after the civil war, but the original idea was to allow games to be run at any time between the last ice age and 1900! Sounds like you have an interesting idea, let me know how it goes.

We finally got the game started and it seems like a success. Everyone had tons of fun! ;t)

But I did notice some errors in the weapon lists and just wanted to point them out. Mostly because of some discrepencies between Aces High and the information I knew from GURPS High Tech. :-/

I am no weapon expert but a lot of this information was quite easy to find.

I did notice it since a stolen shipment of Sharps Rifles had an important part in the adventure and it got me to study the weapon stats more closely.

The big errors I have found so far.

• LeMat Pistol - Had a 9 shot cylinder and not a 6 shot cylinder. Not counting the "grapeshot" barrel.
  • Sharps Rifle should have ammo 1 and not 8.
  • Spencer Breech had an ammo capacity of 7 and not 9.
  • The Volcanic Carbine had a capacity between 20-30 shots depending on the barrel lenght, not 15. I went for the 25 shot version in the book since it seemed to be the standard one.

We finally got the game started and it seems like a success. Everyone had tons of fun! ;t)

Excellent!

But I did notice some errors in the weapon lists...

My research powers are not renowned for their great accuracy...

• LeMat Pistol - Had a 9 shot cylinder and not a 6 shot cylinder. Not counting the "grapeshot" barrel.
  • Sharps Rifle should have ammo 1 and not 8.
  • Spencer Breech had an ammo capacity of 7 and not 9.
  • The Volcanic Carbine had a capacity between 20-30 shots depending on the barrel lenght, not 15. I went for the 25 shot version in the book since it seemed to be the standard one.

I have been working on a revised and updated firearms list and already spotted and corrected the Le Mat and the Spencer Breech.

Think i may have confused number of shots possible in a minute with the Sharps :? Thats a terrible cock up though...

I hadn't realised how badly the Volcanic carbines ammo capacity was off, thats a great call. Thanks for that!

I've now discovered that the Volcanic Pistol can hold 6 or 10 shots depending on barrel length too.

Ok, not so bad after all.

Thanks for the info. Are you running the AH game? Hope this didn't annoy you too much :7

No it didn't bother me much at all. Just replaced the info with what I found.

And yes we just kick started a AH game but I figured I should post it here if there ever was a chance to update the firearms list.

Still think AH is a very excellent sourcebook. ;t)

Edited by Chorpa

It's a great source book.What we really need is a supplement ;) With more supernatural creatures, more spells, more shamanic rituals, a section on sacred sites and how they interact with the magic presented, in depth cultural looks at various native american tribes, more guns, detailed geography of various areas, mississippi steamboats ( and gamblers ! ) just..... more

not that I'm hinting or anything.

The moon on a stick ? nah, I'm not that ambitious. A supplement will do just fine though. It's a bit like having a baby I'd imagine. I'm told the second one is always easier ;D

Really? I must be doing something wrong then. ;)

Rod - (65% of the way through Classic Fantasy II, and only 8 months behind schedule)

I was browsing through RPG Now for stuff that I could possible use for my newly started AH campaign and stumbled upon From Mud to Silver which seem to be a perfect minicampaign to incorporate into AH.

Either way I thought it was a good idea to tip others about it even if it's not for BRP.

If anyone here have that module I would appreciate info if it's worth getting. Considering it's only $6 for it I will probably get it anyway.:P

I will keep you informed on how good it is and how well it incorporates into AH.

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy yerself,

'Power Points of Magic' in the redskin occupation/magic is saying that that occupation has that many points of magic spells. So, if our shaman has the maximum 6 Power Points of Magic he could have Dark 3, Light 2 and Seal 1. Or any combination of available magic powers to the value of 6.

This is a starting value, what you would get if the shaman was a character at the beginning of an adventure. An older, more experienced shaman might have access to more magic powers.

Shamen do also get the option of the short (fairly useless) list at the top of page 91 as well as the group rituals and totem powers.

Most of the interesting/useful Magic is restricted to the individual totems. The theory is that it is trying to describe a place of waning magic where all of the useful magics have been snapped up by the totems, who don't like to share...

Is that clear?

Slightly off topic, the following trailer is for a film coming out in the Summer. It's tailor made for an Aces High crossover.

It's name ...

Cowboys and Aliens

I'm in Geek Heaven

;D

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here.